Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2014, 15:00   #1

Customs in Friday Harbor Wa USA

Hello,

Have you had any issues with the customs office in Friday Harbor Wa?

Please post comments if you feel you were treated poorly or inappropriately by this office, it is the same office as Roche Harbor.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Cruisingscotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 15:10   #2

Re: Customs in Friday Harbor Wa USA

I have cleared there a few times in the past. No problems.

Have not been there recently.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 16:29   #3

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

It's been a while but never had anything but good experience clearing into the US at Friday Harbor, WA. Great little town with a fine attitude towards cruisers as I recall. Good services, fuel easy to obtain (even opened after hours for us), hardware store had a great selection of marine fixtures. Good food as well! Cheers, Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 16:35   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I had a really crappy experience in Roche Harbor . . . . I walked away from the official because it was going south fast - threats of fines for 'illegal entry' being tossed my way (fortunately I had not handed over any paperwork yet) - when I had conducted myself in a perfectly proper fashion. I pulled out and motored around to Friday and had a very reasonable experience.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 09:29   #5

on the customs in friday harbor, sometomes they are to busy, ie, taking care of the airport too, and they seem a little short tempered with some people, more than in the past! i usta go to friday harbor, but the last several yeatrs, we go to roach. found that if one gets there before 0900, and waits for the office to open, it`s much easier! at least early in the day...clyde
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 16:11   #6

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
I had a really crappy experience in Roche Harbor . . . . I walked away from the official because it was going south fast - threats of fines for 'illegal entry' being tossed my way (fortunately I had not handed over any paperwork yet) - when I had conducted myself in a perfectly proper fashion. I pulled out and motored around to Friday and had a very reasonable experience.
You walked away from them? How did you manage that? Once you land on the dock, aren't you in the country and need to clear in? I would have thought they'd tackle you and handcuff you if you just walked out...

I've been warned to stay away from Roche and clear in at Friday Harbor. We've into Friday Harbor a few times and have had only very positive experiences. We've never tried Roche.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 16:34   #7
DRS

Boat: Lagoon 380

In the past I have never had anything but a professional experience at both Friday and Roche. My wife and I now have Nexus cards and clearing in by phone to both the US and back into Canada is a breeze.
Old 12-10-2014, 21:21   #8

Boat: Custom 55

Hi Jake, not recently. Your post did remind me of the time we entered FH from Victoria on Star Path, though.

Anything to Declare? Apples? Oranges? Bananas? Grapes? Marijuana?

Huh??

We've got the boat in Rhode Island for the winter, Europe next summer. Loving it.

TJ
TJ D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2014, 01:23   #9

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

I was inspected once in Roche H. by this stud muffin who smirked and reamed the best she could, but I got away clean. Maybe she got transferred over to FH.

Tags
customs