Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2014, 20:51   #1

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Customs clearance

Returning from Bermuda to Connecticut. Required to contact customs upon arrival?
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 21:50   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: Customs clearance

Yes. See Locate a Port of Entry | U.S. Customs and Border Protection
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 05:02   #3

Just like returning from any other foreign country.
denverd0n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 05:35   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Years ago you could just call in if all crew and boat were USA and pre-registered for this service, but I think that was all done away with post-911.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:24   #5

Boat: Catalina 470

Jim,
As Don Radcliffe and Denverdon have mentioned....
YES, you must clear immigration and customers upon returning to the US, from ANY foreign travel....
This is managed by the US Customs and Border Protection (CBP)...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Walsh View Post
Returning from Bermuda to Connecticut. Required to contact customs upon arrival?
But, if you register your boat with US CBP (get a CBP Customs Decal @ $25/yr.)....AND have each person on-board personally register with either, US CBP "Global Entry", or the CBP LBO ("Local Boater Option") / SVRS (Small Vessel Reporting System), you can then clear customs (your boat and possessions) via a phone call, and all persons can clear immigrations via one phone call....
Calling in / clearing in, must be done within 24 hours of returning...

Be sure to have a look at the CBP pages....and SVRS pages...
Small Vessel Reporting System (SVRS) | U.S. Customs and Border Protection

FYI, I have had, and used, the CBP vessel decal for many years, and have found it to be a great program....and have also participated in the Local Boater Option program since its inception years ago, and cleared-in in various places in Florida, as well as the USVI, etc. and have found it to work great....
A few years ago, I joined/registered with US CBP "Global Entry"....this allows quick and easy check-in (via commercial airline travel, as well as by vessel, etc.) with no "customs or immigration" hassles at all....just a quick scan of my passport and fingerprint at a kiosk, and I'm cleared-in....
(BTW, being registered with "Global Entry", also puts me in the TSA "Pre-Check" program, which eliminates most of the security checks at airports....no removing shoes, belts, etc. and we have our own security lines and go right to the front....)

Actually, Belizesailor, the "call in" clearance programs (as I highlighted above), have been recent programs that were developed AFTER 9/11...
Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Years ago you could just call in if all crew and boat were USA and pre-registered for this service, but I think that was all done away with post-911.
Have a look at the CBP programs, and you see...

Fair winds...

John
s/v Annie Laurie
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 18:34   #6

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Not important really, but there was a similar program, long before 9-11, but it had a lot fewer acronyms. ;-) Used it a number of times.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:48   #7

Be aware if you want a 2015 decal that Customs is saying it will take 2 weeks to 4 weeks for a decal order made online to be processed and shipped, as of today, December 8, 2014. This will mean waiting at least a week more in Miami through at least one perfect weather window. They say a U.S. port "might" confirm my decal issuance and give me credit for it even if I don't have it physically, but I won't be holding my breath. And you can't apply for the expedited reentry program until you have your decal number. Customs "Help" said they get busy and backed up this time of year because everyone is renewing at the end of the year, but thought it would be a silly idea to make mention of that on the DTOPS website, because most people already know that!!!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Vivid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
customs