Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2015, 15:11   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Cuba .. . Fine

Seems that the USCG has hit a boat on return to key west, from Cuba (from the race to Marina Gaviota in Veradera Cuba), with a hefty fine (said to be 6 figure fine). Owner has retained legal counsel. USCG says there were not correct permits.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 16:01   #2

Boat: Tayana V42 - Passages
Re: Cuba .. . Fine

I would hope that the CG has something better to do.
Old 17-12-2015, 16:18   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcapo View Post

CG I believe now falls under "homeland security"

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 17:02   #4
cruiser

Boat: cal 29

Quote:
The job of government is to separate the citizen from his money
sharkbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 17:22   #5

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
They do. I give a huge thanks to the vessel documentation center for getting us our document in time. I messed up the stupid renewal process and we almost didn't get our new document before leaving for the boat. Everybody in WV. was polite, understanding and took care of things with Fed X .
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2015, 04:05   #6

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
Seems that the USCG has hit a boat on return to key west, from Cuba (from the race to Marina Gaviota in Veradera Cuba), with a hefty fine (said to be 6 figure fine). Owner has retained legal counsel. USCG says there were not correct permits.
Do you have a link to more info on this?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2015, 04:21   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

There have been reports in the past of CG in Key West having an idelogical bent consistent with this story.(right wing Cuban Americans)

It will no doubt be reported in EVERY boating publication if true. Likely without the political clarity.
Old 18-12-2015, 04:29   #8

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
There have been reports in the past of CG in Key West having an idelogical bent consistent with this story.(right wing Cuban Americans)

It will no doubt be reported in EVERY boating publication if true. Likely without the political clarity.
Years ago, pre Duh W, I cleared in at Key West from Havana without incident, but I had all the paperwork required at the time. By contrast, I know people, even non-USAs who were seriously hassled on the FL east coast (which has a much larger Cuban American population).

After the check-in, KW officials shared with me that they thought the embargo was BS. One had even participated in the KW-Havana race. These were not the Coasties, just the usual officials involved in clearance.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2015, 04:42   #9
Marine Service Provider

I had been told by a friend in the CG stationed in Key West (8 years ago) there were several commanders or whatever stationed in Key West that took it as personal mission to enforce the embargo wherever possible. Certainly largely against the overall flow in the Keys.

Anyhow, Evan is a solid source so I'm guessing this was first reported to Boat US.

Interestingly a writer friend was going to do a piece for Seaworthy on cruising Cuba for the Boat US magazine, but the Boat US board killed the idea as they felt it was too "politically sensitive". They were also unwilling to work with the boat owner to extend insurance for the trip.
Old 18-12-2015, 05:00   #10

Quote:
They spend a large percentage of their time just patrolling and doing exercises. This is actually a part of their job. I don't like the embargo, but I can hardly blame them for doing their job.

But we see so many postings here saying that "nobody ever gets caught," so this can't possibly be true, right?
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2015, 05:04   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I know nothing at all about this, but it seems sometimes when these things happen, there is more to it than just some boat slipping down there for a Vacation, or some poor person gets to be the "example"
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2015, 05:28   #12
Marine Service Provider

Ironically, the reason they got caught (if they did) is they thought they had done everything legally as all the various race sponsors have supposedly followed the rules and charged big money to the entrants.

Had they gone around to Grand Cayman or over to Isla Mujers, then back to Key West they would have been just fine.

I recall a Southwinds article by Morgan Steinmetz of about 6-8 years ago when a he traveled to Cuba aboard his own boat with all the proper journalist papers. He recouted being "randomly" searched a few extra times and all types of other types of harassment by the Key West CG upon return. Since he was completely legal that was their only recourse.
Old 18-12-2015, 06:23   #13
Marine Service Provider

rhino hunt | Sailing Anarchy

I had heard of this regatta, was surprised the organizer was in WI. I think there have been maybe 6 "regattas" in the last few months. Not really sure how a regatta fits into the legally allowed activites.

There is a small cruise shipping booking passages this winter. My parents inquired and it was roughly $8,000 per person for a 10 day trip. Not sure the departure location and what "approved activity" Americans aboard would be participating in.
Old 18-12-2015, 07:10   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

^^ my reason for posting was just to caution american cruisers thinking about participating in the various races/rallies to cuba that are being organized. Some of them are claiming that because they are 'sporting events', they are now allowed by the new regulations. However if you actually read the regulations you will see that is not at all true since none of the rallies/races (that I know of) meet the specifically stated requirements (that the competition be approved by the sports international body - ISAF- and that the US participants be chosen by the US sport governening body - US Sailing).

The question was whether the authorities would pay any attention or care - and the fact of this fine gives us new information that apparently at least one official in key west does care and has significant punishment power.

My personal sense is that the USCG may have been more pissed that this race organizer did not go thru the USCG permit process, rather than the lack of authorized cuba travel treasury license, but they (apparently, it is not all clear yet) got to throw both books at the owner.

So, just be careful. AS far as I can interpret the law, pretty much every sort of normal cruising to Cuba (including these races/rallies) is still illegal for US citizens (unless you get a specific case by case license from the treasury). And yea, BoatUS cannot provide insurance for an activity that it believes is illegal - and in fact almost all insurance policies have a clause that will void the policy (and the payout) if you are engaged in anything illegal at the time of the accident. So, again be careful because even a policy coverage area seems to include cuba - it may well not unless you are there legally (which appears to be difficult to accomplish for an american cruiser).
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2015, 07:26   #15

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
rhino hunt | Sailing Anarchy

I had heard of this regatta, was surprised the organizer was in WI. I think there have been maybe 6 "regattas" in the last few months. Not really sure how a regatta fits into the legally allowed activites.

There is a small cruise shipping booking passages this winter. My parents inquired and it was roughly $8,000 per person for a 10 day trip. Not sure the departure location and what "approved activity" Americans aboard would be participating in.
Deleted..... I hadn't read Evans last response. He addressed my misconception that a regatta would be a sporting event.

Tags
Cuba