Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2015, 10:54   #1

Cuba customs rules for guns on the boat

Hi, I am confused about Cuban Customs rules for guns on the boat?
Some sailors saying - Declare them and Customs can seal gun safe on board? Other - that Costa Frontera takes guns away and return them, when you leave? Do they really return them?
And other saying that bringing guns to Cuba is illegal?
Anybody here knows the law and how strictly it is enforced in Cuba?
I don't want to get in trouble in Cuba, but I want my protection at high seas and in remote areas.
I would appreciate any other information about Cuba from sailors, who been there recently. Thanks
kazak258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2015, 10:57   #2

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519
Re: Cuba customs rules for guns on the boat

Hey hun where the popcorn and my 3D glasses there be fire works coming

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2015, 11:06   #3

Boat: Nordhavn 50

From Noonsite:

Firearms

If a yacht is staying a long time in one of the marinas, firearms will be impounded by the Coast Guard (Guarda Frontera). If the yacht is cruising along the coast, firearms must be declared every time the boat checks in at a new port and may be confiscated until departure or alternatively sealed on board, placed under the responsibility of the captain. The seals and arms will be inspected when clearing out.

Other items such as portable GPS, radios, flares and telephones may be sealed onboard by Customs until departure.

All plant, animal and meat products that are not canned must be declared to the health authorities on arrival. Fresh meat products may not be imported. Reasonable quantities of canned meat, eggs, dairy or vegetable produce can be imported for the crew's own consumption.

Due to the increasing use of Cuba as a staging post for drugs, a sniffer dog may be used to search the boat on arrival.

Last updated September 2014.
Capt.Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2015, 13:47   #4

I did read articles on Noonsite about Cuba, but I would prefer advice from somebody, who been there recently and had guns on his boat. Nothing illegal!
Thanks anyway for the quote.
As for other stupid remarks - If you don't know the answer, don't reply!
Old 18-03-2015, 13:53   #5
Eternal Member

I can think of few countries you where you would be less likely have need of a firearm for "protection", nor any others that would be more of a PITA in having to deal with the logistics of having one aboard...

After a couple of check-ins and clearances with the Guarda every time you moved the boat, you'd probably be sorely tempted to pitch the damn thing overboard... But then again, that would make your next check-in REALLY problematic...

:-)

Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2015, 17:57   #6

Hey Jon, could you be more specific - did they took your guns away or seal them on board? Any limitations what kind of guns are not allowed? Quantity of ammo?
I heard that Cuban Customs and CG are slow and very annoying, but at least they don't confiscate guns, like in some other countries.
Thanks
Old 18-03-2015, 19:09   #7
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazak258 View Post
Hey Jon, could you be more specific - did they took your guns away or seal them on board? Any limitations what kind of guns are not allowed? Quantity of ammo?
I heard that Cuban Customs and CG are slow and very annoying, but at least they don't confiscate guns, like in some other countries.
Thanks
I didn't have any guns, so I can't speak to that...

However, given how 'curious', and downright paranoid officials were about my possession of stuff as comparatively innocuous as a couple of handheld GPS, and a fair amount of Nikon camera equipment, I can't even begin to imagine the amount of hassle the possession of Guns & Ammo might have created...
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2015, 20:31   #8

Sailors, I don't want break any law or fight Cuban CG, all I want is protection in remote locations.
Anybody, who knows first hand about actual treatment in Cuba foreign boats with guns on board, please respond!
Old 19-03-2015, 05:57   #9

I've never taken guns into Cuba, but I've cleared through Cuban customs enough times to know this won't be worth the head ache. Cuba isn't the US, their citizens aren't armed to the teeth, and Cuban boarder officials have no great love for Americans in general.

If you decide you need this gun for protection (from god knows what in Cuba), be prepared for headaches, bribes and unexplained detention. I personally new a guy who spent many weeks in Cuban jail for the crime of botching a delivery and sinking Cuban in waters. He was treated well enough and eventually his lawyer figured out who to pay off- but the point is- no crime was committed (aside from bad seamanship).

The last time I left Cuba I had a run in with Cuban customs, the whole mess was cleaned up when a travelling companion made the correct payment to an angry hotel manager, but I really didn't feel that comfortable until the plane was well out of Cuban airspace.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 07:23   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Take a breath everyone.

The OP, a new member, asked a legitimate question. All he is looking for is first person information, not a litany of why he should or should not be considering firearms on his boat.

If you want to discuss the issue of firearms on boats generically, we have a Gun Group you can join.

Otherwise, let's be welcoming and remember our BE NICE rule.

Thanks!!
Old 19-03-2015, 07:50   #11

The debate between guns on boats and guns on boats in Cuba are not the same thing.

I certainly have no issue with guns on boats, I hunt waterfowl, which is pretty hard to do with out a gun on a boat, but I wouldn't consider showing up in Cuba with a gun. I have spent a decent amount of time in Cuba (it's been very popular with Canadians for decades).

First of all, Cuba is very safe. The biggest threat in Cuba comes from Cuban officials, a problem you do not want to solve with a gun.

Personal fire arm ownership in Cuba is extremely rare. It just isn't considered "normal" there. So bringing a gun into the country is an excellent way to get unwanted attention from Cuban officials. If you do accidentally comit a crime, particularly a customs crime in Cuba, you don't want to comit that crime with a gun on your boat (unless you like being detained).

The American-Cuban tourist relationship is very new. After 50 years of poverty due to embargoes applied by the US, the odds of encountering a grudge bearing official are pretty high.

I'm not being mean, I'm trying to explain the culture in Cuba is not gun friendly. If an American showed up and said he Had a gun for protection (presumably from Cubans), there is a very strong possibility that he may not be warmly received.

I have personally had run ins worth Cuban boarder officials and I assure you, the walls close in pretty quick.

Old 19-03-2015, 07:59   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Take a breath everyone.

The OP, a new member, asked a legitimate question. All he is looking for is first person information, not a litany of why he should or should not be considering firearms on his boat.

If you want to discuss the issue of firearms on boats generically, we have a Gun Group you can join.

Otherwise, let's be welcoming and remember our BE NICE rule.

Thanks!!
Where would one find the gun group. Id be interested to know what others are doing, and how.
SniperSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 07:59   #13

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Is the OP a Yank?
Old 19-03-2015, 08:17   #14

Boat: Vindö 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
...After 50 years of poverty due to embargoes applied by the US...
Wasn't it due to communism?
Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 08:17   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSailor View Post
Where would one find the gun group. Id be interested to know what others are doing, and how.
It's under the "miscellaneous Groups". I belong to it, as I'm a mild enthusiast, honestly not much happens.

Tags
Cuba, customs, Guns, rule