Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2011, 23:49   #46
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe
 
Wotname's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South of 43 S, Australia
Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'
Posts: 7,330
Re: Cruising the World with a State Registration ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Seems to me life for US boaters would be simpler if US boat documentation was available to all U.S. craft. This seems necessary since some/many nations do not respect the sovereignty of the 50 states. Little do foreign nations know that the 50 states license the vast majority of economic activity (CPAs, barbers, attorneys at law, medical doctors, automobiles, boats, etc.) in the U.S. The US would do its citizens a favor if it considered the ignorance of some foreign nations.
Hey, I take umbrage at "ignorance of some foreign nations" bit - just kidding, I know you mean the "the other ignorance foreign nations".

But somewhat seriously, AFAIK, none of your 50 sovereign states has much international exposure or standing, they don't have their own standing armies, navies or air forces, foreign policy etc etc They don't operate independently to United States of America on the world's stage.

I do agree with your main point
__________________

__________________
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 00:00   #47
Registered User
 
markpierce's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Central California
Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Posts: 3,413
Re: Cruising the World with a State Registration ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
AFAIK, none of your 50 sovereign states has much international exposure or standing, they don't have their own standing armies, navies or air forces, foreign policy etc etc They don't operate independently to United States of America on the world's stage.

I do agree with your main point
The States have their own national guards (state militia) which includes air and ground armed forces. Geez, and many nations have little or no national defense forces (like Canada?). And don't you know cities like San Francisco and Berkeley have their own foreign policies? Also, I'm pretty sure the State of Virginia has sufficient military forces on its own to conquer the Bahamas.
__________________

__________________
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 00:29   #48
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe
 
Wotname's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South of 43 S, Australia
Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'
Posts: 7,330
Re: Cruising the World with a State Registration ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
The States have their own national guards (state militia) which includes air and ground armed forces. Geez, and many nations have little or no national defense forces (like Canada?). And don't you know cities like San Francisco and Berkeley have their own foreign policies? Also, I'm pretty sure the State of Virginia has sufficient military forces on its own to conquer the Bahamas.
I would like to know more but as this is straying further into politics and away from cruising, I will PM you instead.
__________________
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 16:37   #49
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 91
Re: Cruising the World with a State Registration ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Seems to me life for US boaters would be simpler if US boat documentation was available to all U.S. craft. This seems necessary since some/many nations do not respect the sovereignty of the 50 states. Little do foreign nations know that the 50 states license the vast majority of economic activity (CPAs, barbers, attorneys at law, medical doctors, automobiles, boats, etc.) in the U.S. The US would do its citizens a favor if it considered the ignorance of some foreign nations.

I agree. MY future voyages will be aboard a boat "too small" for documentation by USCG. Yes, I've called them to see if there were exceptions to allow smaller vessels to obtain documentation. Afterall, it's revenue. No dice.
What can we do to fix this?????
__________________
colo.sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:27   #50
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse
Posts: 600
Re: Cruising the World with a State Registration ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
The States have their own national guards (state militia) which includes air and ground armed forces. Geez, and many nations have little or no national defense forces (like Canada?). And don't you know cities like San Francisco and Berkeley have their own foreign policies? Also, I'm pretty sure the State of Virginia has sufficient military forces on its own to conquer the Bahamas.
I think the state of VA could conquer most countries of the world!

Also, Texas was it's own country for awhile and for a very short time the Keys were as well.
__________________
amytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:15   #51
Registered User
 
Capt Phil's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Stateline NV
Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Posts: 2,749
Re: Cruising the World with a State Registration ?

This is going back a few years, but I recall (perhaps incorrectly) that in Canada Provinces had control over vessel registration and there was no National Registry unlike the USCG Documentation Center. Many Canadian cruisers travelled broadly under their Provincial Registration CF number without incident, I believe.
I take issue with the statement that Canada doesn't have a national defence force. I went to a parade in Ottawa in the 50's and there seemed to be heaps of soldiers in it... certainly enough to stop traffic and great marching band as well! Capt Phil (ex Canuck)
__________________
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:25   #52
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse
Posts: 600
Re: Cruising the World with a State Registration ?

During the Gulf War (1st one) we had half the Canadian Navy in the Red Sea with us. They left the other boat at home.
__________________
amytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:34   #53
Registered User
 
Capt Phil's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Stateline NV
Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Posts: 2,749
Re: Cruising the World with a State Registration ?

Probably only had enough seamen to man one at a time! CP
__________________
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:46   #54
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse
Posts: 600
Re: Cruising the World with a State Registration ?

Actually I was very impressed with the Canadians, Brits, and Aussies that helped us out over there. Oh and the French showed up too.
__________________
amytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:34   #55
Registered User
 
Capt Phil's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Stateline NV
Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Posts: 2,749
Re: Cruising the World with a State Registration ?

My apologies, amytom... didn't mean the remark to be disparaging to Canadian forces. The ones I have known personally are tough, committed warriors. There just aren't many of them. They, the Aussies and the Brits are some of the most formidable soldiers you can find IMO... must be careful to make my tongue in cheek remarks more clearly in jest. As an ex Canadian, I feel comfortable in the company of fellow Commonwealthers... cheers, Capt Phil
__________________
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:37   #56
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse
Posts: 600
Re: Cruising the World with a State Registration ?

No offense taken. I was just looking for an opportunity to pick on the French
__________________
amytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:40   #57
Senior Cruiser
 
osirissail's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: A real life Zombie from FL
Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Posts: 5,416
Images: 2
Re: Cruising the World with a State Registration ?

The vast majority of boats in the USA are bass boats, small run-abouts and speed boats used for fishing and other very local activities. Requiring Federal documentation for them would swamp the Feds in paperwork for which the majority of boats would never have a need or reason to go international. When CB radio's hit the market everybody had to have a FCC license which the FCC quickly found out was a stupid idea as millions and millions of applications flooded in and the whole system ground to a halt. So they exempted CB and even local VHF radio's from requiring a FCC license for inside the USA use.
- - But I would agree that anybody in any size boat that is really intending to travel internationally should be able to get a USCG documentation. You might try contacting your representative or senator to assist in getting one.
__________________
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 13:02   #58
Registered User
 
markpierce's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Central California
Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Posts: 3,413
Re: Cruising the World with a State Registration ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
My apologies, amytom... didn't mean the remark to be disparaging to Canadian forces. The ones I have known personally are tough, committed warriors. There just aren't many of them. They, the Aussies and the Brits are some of the most formidable soldiers you can find IMO... must be careful to make my tongue in cheek remarks more clearly in jest. As an ex Canadian, I feel comfortable in the company of fellow Commonwealthers... cheers, Capt Phil
Captn Phil, now you've slighted New Zealanders.
__________________
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 13:40   #59
Registered User
 
Capt Phil's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Stateline NV
Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Posts: 2,749
Re: Cruising the World with a State Registration ?

And I thought that Kiwis were just 'snap frozen' Aussies... at least I have a perfect record of offending somebody in every post! Cheers, CP
__________________
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 17:53   #60
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe
 
Wotname's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South of 43 S, Australia
Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'
Posts: 7,330
Re: Cruising the World with a State Registration ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
This is going back a few years, but I recall (perhaps incorrectly) that in Canada Provinces had control over vessel registration and there was no National Registry unlike the USCG Documentation Center. Many Canadian cruisers travelled broadly under their Provincial Registration CF number without incident, I believe.
...............
Twas the same in Oz until we signed some International Maritime Convention (possibly in the mid eighties)!!!
__________________

__________________
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cruising, registration

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Country of Registration for World Cruising Ocean2Free Dollars & Cents 23 15-10-2009 17:00
Changing the state of registration for a boat. Little Otter Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape 11 03-12-2008 21:08
State Registration to USCG Documentation…? dcstrng General Sailing Forum 2 07-07-2008 10:15
Cruising with state registration? chacho Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape 1 28-05-2008 23:28
State registration and foreign travel phorvati Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape 15 12-05-2006 14:26



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 13:07.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.