Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2013, 05:19   #16
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Cruising Japan-Does anybody do it?

Just be Careful..... The Whales arrrr fighting back...
sunk one Japanese boat already...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 06:28   #17
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Cruising Japan-Does anybody do it?

My good friend Bruce Johnson did the Osaka-Seattle race quite a while back with John Guzzwell aboard John's boat. Bruce took the boat over and spent quite awhile solo circumnavigating Japan before the race. He said it was one of the best cruising destinations he'd ever been to, despite the technical challenges. Weather can be extremely harsh, currents are often pretty extreme, etc. his experience was that there are small fishing villages with well protected commercial harbors everywhere in Japan, so when the weather goes south you never have far to run. He also told me that the rural Japanese experience, particularly on the coast, is totally different than the big cities. A lot more xenophobia. He's a very large, very distinctive looking white man. But he said that local school kids were always his in, because they want to practice their English. He ended up being taken home for dinner everywhere he went, with the kids to break the ice. I've wanted to go ever since seeing the pics and talking to him about his trip. 54 days non stop Osaka to Seattle return trip sounded less appealing however.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 20:53   #18

Boat: CS 40
We are currently in Setonaikai, the Inland Sea, Island hopping from west to east. We started in Okinawa, on up the West Coast of Kyushu and now are half way to Osaka.

We don't find things all that expensive. While Marinas may cost upwards of $40 per night, we mostly stay in small fishing ports, often on little used pontoons for free. Some food is expensive but we have always managed to find bargains. Beer is as cheap as anywhere we've been and fish is also very reasonable. While the bureaucracy is Byzantine and often time consuming, it is also free.

So far it's some of the best cruising we've done.
mikefossl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 21:30   #19

Some of my friends went up there from Australia, boat's name is Wooshie; ~31' if I remember correctly. They're currently in the South Pacific. They loved it. Jim Howard (Hanbook of Offshore Cruising) spent a lot of time there as well and loved it.

Regarding why more people don't do it, people in general prefer the easier routes that are well established. There's something to be said for the tropics as well. Mosquitoes and all that but also warm water, great fishing, nice waves, and sunshine.

Purposefully taking a boat somewhere with crummy weather rubs me the wrong way.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 22:00   #20

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

There was an article in Cruising World 10-15yr ago about a couple sailing Japan in a Yamaha 33 or 37. Bit circular in a way.
Adelie is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising