Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 05:40   #31

Re: Cruising as a Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefuss View Post
With a criminal record (albeit 32 years old) i can be issued a canadian passport and travel to any country on the globe, mostly without pre-arranged visa, except the USA. Like i said "Go figure"
that surprises me that even with a passport in hand you cannot enter the USA. I didnt know that.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:14   #32

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.

...but I think this thread is about medical coverage not getting a passport.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:31   #33

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahunter View Post
I'm sorry, is this a statement? If so, you're getting ripped by your insurance company. Two years ago, a friend of mine and his wife were visiting from Canada to share TG on board our boat. The day after TG she had a reaction to her medication and we took her to a local hospital where they observed her over night then released her in the morning. The used their Canadian travel insurance coverage, and the hospital phoned the company to verify. All was well. they never paid a dime either at the hospital or once they got home. The bill was over 15K and was paid in full. It is NOT the norm to have to pay on the spot while in the US, if you have coverage.
15K for one night of "observation"?

Constable, I believe I've "observed" a crime.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:55   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
15K for one night of "observation"?

Constable, I believe I've "observed" a crime.
Secretary from an NGO that I am a board member of had a gall bladder issue in Florida, and ended up in hospital for 2 weeks.

I saw the end bill... $246K!!!!!

Yes, our insurance covered her. Ridiculous amount.
Old 12-01-2012, 13:21   #35

Boat: Nordhavn 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahunter View Post
I'm sorry, is this a statement? If so, you're getting ripped by your insurance company. Two years ago, a friend of mine and his wife were visiting from Canada to share TG on board our boat. The day after TG she had a reaction to her medication and we took her to a local hospital where they observed her over night then released her in the morning. The used their Canadian travel insurance coverage, and the hospital phoned the company to verify. All was well. they never paid a dime either at the hospital or once they got home. The bill was over 15K and was paid in full. It is NOT the norm to have to pay on the spot while in the US, if you have coverage.
This was an answer to Fifty360's question where it was asked if Canadian Health care system covered abroad. My answer was correct and was not refering to any insurance coverage bought.

Michel
Old 13-01-2012, 12:10   #36

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Secretary from an NGO that I am a board member of had a gall bladder issue in Florida, and ended up in hospital for 2 weeks.

I saw the end bill... $246K!!!!!

Yes, our insurance covered her. Ridiculous amount.
I think people can forgive stuff like taking a leak on your dead enemies, but this...this...
Old 13-01-2012, 12:43   #37
One of Those

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Catalac 12M

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
You can be turned back without reason going either way. What's your point?

my "point"?
excuse me. It appeared to me that the thread was generally about circumventing Canadian law and immigration policies. Isn't that what the OP is trying to do? Avoid checking in and out of Canadian immigration in order to scam the health care system?

And you are somehow unable to see the parallels with sneaking in and out of Canada with a twenty year old DUI conviction, and why someone might be interested in how you Canadians do it?

Well, that does explain a few things, I guess.
Old 13-01-2012, 12:58   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
my "point"?
excuse me. It appeared to me that the thread was generally about circumventing Canadian law and immigration policies. Isn't that what the OP is trying to do? Avoid checking in and out of Canadian immigration in order to scam the health care system?

And you are somehow unable to see the parallels with sneaking in and out of Canada with a twenty year old DUI conviction, and why someone might be interested in how you Canadians do it?

Well, that does explain a few things, I guess.
I don't know what you think it explains. You suggested there would be screaming and whining if the US stopped people from entering for DUI's and I'm pointing out they can and do stop you for any reason they like going either way. Unless you are a citizen you have no right of entry into the country. I fail to see what that has to do with the health care system.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 15:04   #39
One of Those

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Catalac 12M

I did say excuse me.

You are right, you have not been able to explain why you are unable to see that both issues involve circumventing Canadian law and immigration policies. One person wants to slip in and out for health insurance reasons, another wants to go see Banff without hassles over a decades-old traffic fine.

I think it is also incorrect in that it is not a matter of ""for any reason they like". A US Immigration Officer will not officially refuse you entrance into the USA because of your hair style, or choice of music on the car stereo. Maybe Canadians do, I don't know. I am not talking about stopping you to ask you if you have any cigarettes to declare. They stop you from entering Canada, based upon an ancient misdemeanor conviction that was not committed in Canada in the first place. Its Canadian government policy.
Old 13-01-2012, 15:28   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
I did say excuse me.

You are right, you have not been able to explain why you are unable to see that both issues involve circumventing Canadian law and immigration policies. One person wants to slip in and out for health insurance reasons, another wants to go see Banff without hassles over a decades-old traffic fine.

I think it is also incorrect in that it is not a matter of ""for any reason they like". A US Immigration Officer will not officially refuse you entrance into the USA because of your hair style, or choice of music on the car stereo. Maybe Canadians do, I don't know. I am not talking about stopping you to ask you if you have any cigarettes to declare. They stop you from entering Canada, based upon an ancient misdemeanor conviction that was not committed in Canada in the first place. Its Canadian government policy.
You can think anything you want but reality is a reason is not required for a border guard to refuse entry into the US to a Canadian. In fact on an unsubstantiated suspicion they can pack them off to Guantanamo and torture them.

Reality is neither is likely to happen since businesses south of the border like the colour of our money.

A citizen has a right to cross the border but a non-citizen does not. Permission is not guaranteed going either way.

Old 13-01-2012, 15:37   #41

Boat: CN35 - 1960 35' steel yawl

So, I take off from Canada for a 5 year circumnav, never set foot on Canadian soil for the duration and then return, slip off the customs dock and break my toe. What happens when I go to the hospital?
Old 13-01-2012, 15:44   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_sky View Post
So, I take off from Canada for a 5 year circumnav, never set foot on Canadian soil for the duration and then return, slip off the customs dock and break my toe. What happens when I go to the hospital?
My understanding is all Canadian citizens are entitled to medical care. I know it used to be insurance still paid but you have to pay your premium. Again, I think the details may vary from province to province but universal health care is a right, so they fix the toe and begin sending your monthly health care bill.

If you are injured while out of the country you can always fly home and reinstate your health care as well.

Old 13-01-2012, 15:53   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_sky View Post
My understanding is that your Health Care rights while abroad are jeopardized if you do not follow the rules but that if you return to live in Canada you are entitled to it when you return. But I am not sure. For example say you have been away for 4 years, now you need a triple bypass and you return here, I wouldnt leave it to chance that you would not receive a bill. This I do need to know before I leave.

My plan is to sail from Lake Ontario to Halifax, then begin my two year approved extended absence, sail to portugal etc, plan to sail home again within that two year window, then do the return every 6 months for a month or so and go again. I think in that way, I am well covered.
Old 13-01-2012, 16:01   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Manitoba has, and I'm sure that most if not all provinces have, a website for Health Care. That is where you need to get your information. If you are out of Canada for an extended period of time and injure yourself, do not expect the health care system to cover you.

When you return from an extended absence it will be 3 months before you are eligible for coverage.
Old 13-01-2012, 16:52   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifty360 View Post
In Canada, you cannot get a passport if you have a criminal record, not at least untill you habe received a pardon which takes 10 years. These rules are part of an international agreement and similar across the board. Therefore if you have a criminal record in the USA I doubt very much that you can get a passport which means you CANNOT enter into Canada either.
Quoted as a Canadian. Both your statements lack any substance, based on my experience as a dual citizen.

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: