Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 09:49   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Re: Cruising as a Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mparent View Post
Any tips on how to circumvent the six month rule on how long one can be out of the country without losing medical coverage back home? This means leaving in October and sailing back in April, rather cool months here on the east shore of Canada.
Each province is different in their rules for coverage. The rule in BC is "You may be eligible to receive coverage for up to 24 consecutive months of absence while temporarily outside B.C. Approval is limited to once in five years for absences that exceed six months in a calendar year."

MSP - Leaving British Columbia

Nova Scotia in fact covers you for one year: "Once deemed a resident for MSI coverage and ordinarily present (physically present in Nova Scotia for 183 days in every calendar year), you may retain coverage while temporarily absent for up to one year, provided you intend to return permanently to Nova Scotia."

Moving and Travel | Health and Wellness | Government of Nova Scotia

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 14:46   #17

Exclamation Re: Cruising as a Canadian

While I was vacationing in Daytona Beach, I flew my son down to attend the D500 with me. He was laid off as a seasonal worker at the time and receiving unemployment insurance benefits. He was notified that because he was unavailable for work during the time he was away, he was not entitled to benefits for that week. How did they know he was away was my question, but obviously, they had a connection to the border information. Big Brother is alive and well and watching you!

I have a question. Does the Canadian health care insirance cover you while abroad? I have always purchased separate health insurance while I left the country. Is the issue that if you are absent for more than 6 mos that your benefits at home are jeopardized? Some of these things I have not thought about, good dicsussion.

Old 11-01-2012, 14:55   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifty360 View Post
I have a question. Does the Canadian health care insirance cover you while abroad? I have always purchased separate health insurance while I left the country. Is the issue that if you are absent for more than 6 mos that your benefits at home are jeopardized? Some of these things I have not thought about, good dicsussion.
The coverage that is provided varies by province. OHIP strongly recommends you get independent coverage but BCMed doesn't suggest that though they do say they may not pay the amount charged, which I think means in cases where the cost is higher then it would be at home you may have to make up the difference.

As for the six month issue I touched on that in my previous post. You really have to read the details of your provincial coverage.

Old 11-01-2012, 16:04   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
Ouch. We almost dread going home. Just going through security checkpoints with a titanium knee has been an experience that would tax a lot of people's patience. And I didn't get issued much patience for stupid procedures to begin with.

then again, looking at Canadian laws, did you know that a US citizen who was ever convicted of a DUI cannot enter Canada legally without going through a procedure to get approved before showing up? even though under US law he has completed his sentence, paid his fines, no further convictions, whatever. Canada penalizes him for the same crime, again, which was not committed under their jurdistiction, or even in their country. someting basically wrong with that.
Not trying to burn you, but you can enter Canada even if you've committed incest. What the law states is that you MAY be denied a visa for permanent entry to Canada if (amongst other things) you've been convicted of DUI. This is no different than US regulation. You can look it up if you wish.

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 16:27   #20

Boat: Hunter 340
Send a message via AIM to bgallinger

The cheapest option I have seen is to get a policy to fly you back to Canada if you need serious medical care. Medical care can be surprisingly inexpensive and complete in many foreign countries.
Old 11-01-2012, 16:29   #21
One of Those

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Catalac 12M

Well, I DID look it up, and I think I was correct. This is what I picked off one site:

Canada regards DUI / DWI as an extremely serious offense. A conviction for Driving Under the Influence (DUI or DWI) will qualify you as a member of the Inadmissible Class. Those non-Canadian citizens with such convictions will not be allowed to cross the border into Canada freely.
The Inadmissible status can be removed, after a period of many years, by applying for a Minister's Approval of Rehabilitation. Although, you can visit Canada before the Inadmissible status is removed. This requires you apply for a Temporary Resident Permit. The Temporary Resident Permit allows you to visit Canada for a single purpose or for a limited period. This process requires completion of forms and paying fees. It is strongly recommended you retain the services of an experienced Immigration attorney to handle this process on your behalf. An Immigration lawyer will know how to expedite the request and will not make mistakes causing delay.

So, yes you can get into Canada with a DUI, eventually if you want to push it through.

can you imagine the screaming and whining if the US reciprocated and kept all Canadians with misdemeanors in Canada from entering the US?

my original info was from a guy I met at a campground in Northern Colorado in October. He had just been turned back at the Canadian border the previous week. He said they 'punched his name into a computer', told him that he had a DUI in Texas ten years ago, and refused him entry. Gave him the name of whatever agency he needed to contact and exchange paperwork, get cleared or something, but it wasn't something he could do on the spot. He wasn't getting in legally on that trip.
Old 11-01-2012, 16:39   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You can be turned back without reason going either way. What's your point?

Old 11-01-2012, 17:54   #23

Boat: Nordhavn 50

"Does the Canadian health care insirance cover you while abroad? "

You are covered at the rate you are at home. It means normaly that you pay on the spot and then you get reimbursed at the going rate at home.
Which means if you need health care in the US for example you will be reimbursed at a fraction of what it cost you.

Michel
Old 11-01-2012, 18:12   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by siroismi View Post
"Does the Canadian health care insirance cover you while abroad? "

You are covered at the rate you are at home. It means normaly that you pay on the spot and then you get reimbursed at the going rate at home.
Which means if you need health care in the US for example you will be reimbursed at a fraction of what it cost you.
I'm sorry, is this a statement? If so, you're getting ripped by your insurance company. Two years ago, a friend of mine and his wife were visiting from Canada to share TG on board our boat. The day after TG she had a reaction to her medication and we took her to a local hospital where they observed her over night then released her in the morning. The used their Canadian travel insurance coverage, and the hospital phoned the company to verify. All was well. they never paid a dime either at the hospital or once they got home. The bill was over 15K and was paid in full. It is NOT the norm to have to pay on the spot while in the US, if you have coverage.

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 18:27   #25

Thumbs down Re: Cruising as a Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahunter View Post
Not trying to burn you, but you can enter Canada even if you've committed incest. What the law states is that you MAY be denied a visa for permanent entry to Canada if (amongst other things) you've been convicted of DUI. This is no different than US regulation. You can look it up if you wish.
In Canada, you cannot get a passport if you have a criminal record, not at least untill you habe received a pardon which takes 10 years. These rules are part of an international agreement and similar across the board. Therefore if you have a criminal record in the USA I doubt very much that you can get a passport which means you CANNOT enter into Canada either.
Old 11-01-2012, 19:08   #26

I did a quick review of the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) and learned a few things. A person can make arrangements for a 2 year extended absence with complete health coverage if they have been in the country for the previous two years for 155 some odd days. However if they intend to do another 2 years at a later date, they must be in the country for as many days per year for 5 years following the first two.

Otherwise I think the 6 month rule applies. But if you come home for two weeks and leave again, I think that is totally acceptable.

Additional health coverage is still recomended as only emergency medical care will be re-imbursed in specific health care facilities. If it is elective non life threatening surgery it is not covered. I that case, I am sure any one with half a brain would go home to have that taken care of anyhow, or if not wanting to wait in line, go to a private clinic abroad and pay the price out of pocket.

I will study it some more but I am getting the feeling that once you return to Canada from an extended absence, you will have your health coverage re-instated, it is just that you may not have it while abroad if you do not follow the rules. So what if you have to purchase travel insurance anyhow, unless the cost increases for people that have expired their OHIP coverage, which I guess is possible. I will have to read up some more.

Bottom line, if you plan it right, you have two years of clear sailing, then the fun begins, you fly home every 6 mos. If that keeps your medical travel insurance at a lower cost because you are OHIP covered its well worth the flight home. God knows, I have enough air miles to fly around the world a few times, I need an excuse to use these points anyhow.
Old 11-01-2012, 19:11   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifty360 View Post
In Canada, you cannot get a passport if you have a criminal record, not at least untill you habe received a pardon which takes 10 years. These rules are part of an international agreement and similar across the board. Therefore if you have a criminal record in the USA I doubt very much that you can get a passport which means you CANNOT enter into Canada either.
Actually an American can get a passport even with a criminal record. As long as he's satisfied his sentenced requirements, the State Department will issue a passport. US Passport applications don't even ask about criminal histories. But as part of the vetting process, the US Marshalls service is contacted via database to make sure that an applicant isn't a high risk felon (arms & narcotics trafficking primarily), nor owes an "uncomfortable" amount of money to a financial institution, or the govt.

Now for those who have serious felonies, it's a pretty moot point since they won't qualify for a Visa to the overwhelming majority of countries (including those that are part of the visa waiver program which stipulate no criminal record as part of the waiver). But the restriction is on his admittance to another country at THAT countries discretion. The US State Department is not the one restricting his travel. The immigration department of the receiving country is the one restricting his travel.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 20:44   #28

Boat: Tayana 37

Actually the term required for application for a canadian pardon is three years. And the same admissablity ( or lack thereof) applies to Americans entering Canada. Here's a bit of trivia for you; Out of the 33-34 million canadians, there are over 700,000 of us who cannot enter the US because of a cannibus possesion conviction. (No matter how old). And i thought we were friends. haha. And so many of those 700,000 wanna come down and buy a boat. I dont have the Cannabis problem but cant come down for a look at a sweet Tayana cause of the impaired (DUI). Go figure?
Old 11-01-2012, 20:48   #29

Fifty360
You certainly can get a passport in Canada with a criminal conviction. I've done it 3 times. (Shame on me)
Old 11-01-2012, 20:53   #30

With a criminal record (albeit 32 years old) i can be issued a canadian passport and travel to any country on the globe, mostly without pre-arranged visa, except the USA. Like i said "Go figure"

Tags
cruising

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: