Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2014, 02:53   #31
Moderator
 
carstenb's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Posts: 4,941
Images: 1
Re: courtesy vs national flag

These courtesy flag threads come along at regular intervals. It seems that not very many cruisers know the courtesy flag rules (and traditions) and a fair number don't think courtesy flags are necessary.

No sure why. After all when we sail into another country's national waters, we are guests in their house. Well-behaved guests are polite and try their best not to upset the host(ess).
__________________

__________________
I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted - Elmore Leonard
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2014, 05:29   #32
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 82
Re: courtesy vs national flag

If you are a boat of the country origin ie. you are a citizen/registered in that country, you fly that country flag, if not you fly your flag PLUS a courtesy flag of that country you are visiting, and be sure to fly the quarentine flag until you check in with customs. That's the way I understand it should be.
__________________

__________________
navy davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2014, 05:51   #33
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 82
Re: courtesy vs national flag

I always enjoy seeing the boats that fly the "JOLLY ROGER" especially as the only flag they fly. Krazzy
__________________
navy davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2014, 22:09   #34
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Niagara Falls
Boat: Westsail 32
Posts: 347
Re: courtesy vs national flag

Jimmy Cornell has all the countries' courtesy flags in his book World Cruising Handbook, under the front and back covers. This is definitive, since presumably Doina Cornell asked each country what their courtesy flag was when she surveyed them for the book.
__________________
Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2014, 22:50   #35
cruiser

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,130
Re: courtesy vs national flag

How did she ask countries that didn't exist yet?
__________________
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 00:02   #36
Registered User
 
El Pinguino's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Punta Arenas ahorra
Boat: 39' Westerly Sealord
Posts: 3,959
Re: courtesy vs national flag

I think the OP had his answer by #9 and has long since left the building.

However here is a fairly definitive list complete with pics. Civil ensign - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So apart from a very small number of mainly 'red ensign ' countries ( about a dozen) most of the countries that have a mercantile ensign have one that differs only in very small detail from the national flag ( about 24). Either the addition or ommision of a small heraldic device which would be barely obvious to most observers.

Anyway now that this issue has been brought to the attention of the world at large I am on the lookout for the headline in the 'Daily Bugle'... 'Yacht skipper in slammer!! Flew wrong courtesy flag!!'
El Pinguino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 00:11   #37
Moderator
 
Seaworthy Lass's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2008
Boat: Aluminium cutter rigged sloop
Posts: 12,819
Re: courtesy vs national flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
However here is a fairly definitive list complete with pics. Civil ensign - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The civil ensign is not necessarily the only option for a courtesy flag. Just to confuse matters, in Australia either the national flag or civil ensign is acceptable as a courtesy flag (we also have the unusual situation that the national flag may be flown by private Aussie registered vessels in lieu of the civil ensign).
__________________
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesen
"To me the simple act of tying a knot is an adventure in unlimited space." Clifford Ashley
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 00:19   #38
Registered User
 
El Pinguino's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Punta Arenas ahorra
Boat: 39' Westerly Sealord
Posts: 3,959
Re: courtesy vs national flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Just to confuse matters, in Australia either the national flag or civil ensign is acceptable as a courtesy flag (we also have the unusual situation that the national flag may be flown by private Aussie registered vessels in lieu of the civil ensign).
Just to keep things on the boil.... Australian registered ships ( which includes yachts that are on the register ) are required by law to fly the Red. The skipper of a yacht not so registered can fly the blue if they so choose as it is the right of every Australian to fly the ANF where ever they please.

I flew the red as a courtesy ensign in Oz... I currently fly the blue in NZ as that is what the man in the chandlers sold me 12 years ago.

In the Falklands you can fly the Falklands red, the Falklands blue, or an undefaced British red ensign.... they aren't fussed just so long as you fly one of them... esp if you are from TDC.
El Pinguino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 00:33   #39
Moderator
 
Seaworthy Lass's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2008
Boat: Aluminium cutter rigged sloop
Posts: 12,819
Re: courtesy vs national flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Just to keep things on the boil.... Australian registered ships ( which includes yachts that are on the register ) are required by law to fly the Red.
Sorry, that is not correct .

Under the 'Shipping Registration Act 1981' a whole host of Australian registered ships (including yachts ) are able to fly the national flag (blue).
eg All pleasure craft, fishing boats and government ships, as well as commercial ships under 24m.

See:
https://www.amsa.gov.au/vessels/ship...hips/index.asp
__________________
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesen
"To me the simple act of tying a knot is an adventure in unlimited space." Clifford Ashley
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 00:38   #40
Registered User
 
El Pinguino's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Punta Arenas ahorra
Boat: 39' Westerly Sealord
Posts: 3,959
Re: courtesy vs national flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Sorry, that is not correct .

Under the 'Shipping Registration Act 1981' a whole host of Australian registered ships (including yachts ) are able to fly the national flag (blue).
eg All pleasure craft, fishing boats and government ships, as well as commercial ships under 24m.

See:
https://www.amsa.gov.au/vessels/ship...hips/index.asp
I stand corrected...in part....... should read 'all merchant ships above 24 metres that are not pleasure craft, fishing boats, or government owned shall fly the red'....

El Ping,
never wrong, but often mistaken
El Pinguino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 02:19   #41
cruiser

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,130
Re: courtesy vs national flag

Looking over some of the links, the only country I go to (Canada) isn't on any of the list, so I assume that means they want their national colors for a courtesy flag.

I've noticed before that Canadians don't have the same customs regarding their national colors that Americans do. For instance, I've seen Canadian colors flying after dark with no light on a government building in Vancouver.

Reading this thread also leads me to the conclusion that what is wanted or what is law varies from nation to nation, so I'm going to look for an official voice on Canadian courtesy flags on an American sloop.
__________________
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 03:02   #42
Registered User
 
El Pinguino's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Punta Arenas ahorra
Boat: 39' Westerly Sealord
Posts: 3,959
Re: courtesy vs national flag

Was, maybe still is, UK maritime law that you should fly your national colours when entering port whatever the hour of day....

I'm not sure why this is relevant...

Nor am I sure which came first... flag debates or after dinner port.. I think that back in the dream time they had the port but needed something to talk about...after the ladies had retired to the drawing room...thus the flag stuff...

Of course one must remember to pass the port in the correct direction... I think the authority on this is Ripping Yarns/Roger of the Raj
El Pinguino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 05:08   #43
Moderator
 
Seaworthy Lass's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2008
Boat: Aluminium cutter rigged sloop
Posts: 12,819
Re: courtesy vs national flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
...
Nor am I sure which came first... flag debates or after dinner port.. I think that back in the dream time they had the port but needed something to talk about...after the ladies had retired to the drawing room...thus the flag stuff...

Of course one must remember to pass the port in the correct direction... I think the authority on this is Ripping Yarns/Roger of the Raj
Last time I peeked over my shoulder when leaving the dining room to retire to the drawing room, it was going around clockwise .
__________________
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesen
"To me the simple act of tying a knot is an adventure in unlimited space." Clifford Ashley
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 09:11   #44
Moderator
 
carstenb's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Posts: 4,941
Images: 1
Re: courtesy vs national flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Last time I peeked over my shoulder when leaving the dining room to retire to the drawing room, it was going around clockwise .
yes, well lassie (and here I am revealing a centuries old secret - I will be stripped of my manliness (I hope the gal doing the stripping is pretty) for telling you this) but as soon as the ladies have retired we do things the other way. We only pass the port to starboard while there are ladies present - when they leave we pass the port to port. That way, any woman trying to disguise herself and mix with the gents will reveal herself (or portiions thereof - or is my imagination running away with me? too much port)
__________________
I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted - Elmore Leonard
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 10:05   #45
Moderator
 
Seaworthy Lass's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2008
Boat: Aluminium cutter rigged sloop
Posts: 12,819
Re: courtesy vs national flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
yes, well lassie (and here I am revealing a centuries old secret - I will be stripped of my manliness (I hope the gal doing the stripping is pretty) for telling you this) but as soon as the ladies have retired we do things the other way. We only pass the port to starboard while there are ladies present - when they leave we pass the port to port. That way, any woman trying to disguise herself and mix with the gents will reveal herself (or portiions thereof - or is my imagination running away with me? too much port)
LOL Carsten, passing it around clockwise (as the men let me glimpse), IS passing it to port. No secrets were being withheld .

SWL x
__________________

__________________
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesen
"To me the simple act of tying a knot is an adventure in unlimited space." Clifford Ashley
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Right Courtesy Flag for UK Bill Balme Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape 16 27-01-2016 06:32
UK courtesy flag Benz Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape 19 07-03-2013 01:10
Courtesy Flag for San Blas ? gbanker Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape 10 21-12-2011 14:19
Courtesy Flag - Caribbean Tafika2 Product or Service Reviews & Evaluations 20 21-04-2011 07:26
Courtesy Flag Size boat_alexandra Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape 11 16-03-2011 20:37



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:39.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.