Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2014, 05:24   #106

Boat: 45' CC ketch
Re: Countries Wihout Extradition/ Dual Citizenship

OP may think of an alternative approach. Google for "perpetual tourist" ("PT").
Sea Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 05:50   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Seems self-fulfilling to me that talking to expats that left would only confirm negative perceptions of where they failed to adjust to a new culture.
Says more about them than the country
That would be true except, I have also talked to expats who are trapped out of the country because they burnt bridges on the way out also.

The problem with burning bridges on the way out is if you fail to adapt to the new culture your options are limited.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2014, 07:02   #108

Boat: S-2 9.2cc

Don't know much about this, but when we were looking at buying a business in Canada, we were told there is no "dual citizenship" allowed anymore. That is as far as we got since camp was sold soon after our initial questions. Just what we were told in 1998.
BobnCamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2014, 08:16   #109
cruiser

Dual citizenship is everywhere. 1998 was fifteen years ago.
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2014, 08:40   #110

The US State Department themselves say that even if you are required to renounce US citizenship when obtaining a new one you retain your US citizenship unless you formally write the State Department to renounce it. The simple act of saying the words in a foreign country isn't enough for the IRS to stop wanting your money every year.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
MBLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2014, 08:49   #111

Boat: S-2 9.2cc

I guess it was to do with the tax situation. I really do not know. Just what we were told then. What do you mean, that was just the other day,wasn't it. What year is it?
BobnCamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2014, 09:36   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
Dual citizenship is everywhere.
No, it's really not. If you come to the United States from another country, and want to be a U.S. citizen, you will be required to renounce your previous citizenship. Most countries don't require that, but besides the U.S. there are a few others that do.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2014, 10:58   #113
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

I examined the pro and cons of obtaining US citizenship. After 12 years of living there in a number of States, The things I loved about the country and the people had slowly been overshadowed by the all encompasing curtailing of freedom and changing attitudes from the governmental push for control.

Europe is not much better, either within the EU or just outside of it. The Cyprus episode exposed the reality of who actually has rights to your money, and when you find out the Federal Reserve and the EU banks are intertwined, not to mention the Bank of England....... well it all becomes Tosh.

In short, and the short answer is, there is NO escape from the long arm of Americana government. Its power and influence is everywhere either by financial means or by overt pressure and thuggery. It is the way it is. We are all affected by the power of the dollar. It ultimately drives everything right or wrong.

You want to be happy? Dont find your happiness in worrying about it. Just make a decision and go for it. By the time you KNOW what you want, several years will have passed and you will either want to change the circumstances you are in or stay... and then several more years will pass and the choice will come round again. It fills a life that YOU had a measure of control over.

I like being average. Pay the bills, not flash, not seeking big things, not on grid to be noticed. I just do what has to be done and then when I can, I move on to something that I want to do. I find out the laws, the requirements and the reality of how to do it and then take my choice and chances. I have no control over what others do, only what I do. That I try to make life as painless and stress free as I can.

We all strive for a better life. Politics make it difficult to achieve. Look for the gap and run through when you see it.

Good luck with your search.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2014, 11:43   #114
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Best to ask these questions of the State Department and be precise to the particulars of the situation. There's a difference between "citizenship" and "citizenship". Some is by right of birth, other is by affirmation and choice.

My friend was born in the US and so is a US citizen by right of birth. However, each of his parents was a citizen (one way or another) of a different nation and each of them conveys "citizenship by birthright" on the children of their citizens, regardless of where they are born. Result? That's right, he has full legal citizenship in three nations.

He's not the only one I've known with a similar situation.

Now, if you're buying into Canada and expecting citizenship by investment purchase--that's a whole other ball of wax. Nations tend to treat all that very differently from citizenship by birthright.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2014, 19:38   #115
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
No, it's really not.
I know dozens, if not hundreds of people with dual citizenship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBLittle View Post
The US State Department themselves say that even if you are required to renounce US citizenship when obtaining a new one you retain your US citizenship unless you formally write the State Department to renounce it. The simple act of saying the words in a foreign country isn't enough for the IRS to stop wanting your money every year.
You sound somewhat confused about who the State Department is and what the IRS does.
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2014, 20:49   #116

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

> I know dozens, if not hundreds of people with dual citizenship.

So do I, I also know lots of people who have had to renounce previous citizenship as a condition of being granted citizenship in another country, others who have automatically lost their original citizenship when they became citizens of another country and others who have lost their new citizenship when it was discovered that they subsequently re-applied for a passport under their "renounced" citizenship.

And others with multiple "citizenship by birth" who are required to make a choice of citizenship when they became 18. (My daughter being one such case under current legislation - but there is talk about this being changed)

It all depends on the rules of both countries involved.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 06:14   #117
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I am dual US Canada. My Wife is an import from Germany, she had to renounce German citizenship upon becoming US citizen.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 07:38   #118
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

My Son was born in Germany, Gelnhausen, and cannot be a German citizen as I was a US soldier.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 08:20   #119

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
I am dual US Canada. My Wife is an import from Germany, she had to renounce German citizenship upon becoming US citizen.
That is because Germany will not allow dual citizenship with the US unless obtained at birth. Germany has very complex citizenship laws.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 08:24   #120

Boat: 1902 Dutch Tjalk, 64'

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post

My friend was born in the US and so is a US citizen by right of birth. However, each of his parents was a citizen (one way or another) of a different nation and each of them conveys "citizenship by birthright" on the children of their citizens, regardless of where they are born. Result? That's right, he has full legal citizenship in three nations.

He's not the only one I've known with a similar situation.

Now, if you're buying into Canada and expecting citizenship by investment purchase--that's a whole other ball of wax. Nations tend to treat all that very differently from citizenship by birthright.
... And now you know yet another one.

My father was with the French Diplomatic Corps, and my mother with the Canadian one when I was born in Washington, D.C.

At the time (1949), you did not have to renounce one citizenship for another when you reached maturity, so I've kept all 3 all my life.

I've been moving back and forth between the US and France every 15 years on average since I was born, and believe me, if you liked the administrative hassles in the States, you're going to LOVE the French ones!

The only downside I experienced in having multiple nationalities was that I managed to get drafted by 2 out of 3...
Neeltje is offline   Reply With Quote