Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2014, 03:26   #61
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Countries Wihout Extradition/ Dual Citizenship

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post
For personal reasons I am thinking about leaving the U.S and never turning back. Am thinking about Costa Rica. Does anyone have t experience with obtaining/ having dual citizenship, benefits/ drawbacks, etc.

At this point would like to emigrate to a country that has a high quality of life, be able to find work and live out the rest of my years with a minimal of hassles from population or government as well as be able to find suitable work.
Not sure how the "never turning back" angle fits with wanting dual citizenship?

But France! seems to be working ok for Roman Polanski on the extradition front to the USA. Govt likely to leave you alone - if you leave them alone, and play by the rules (of society - and that includes learning the lingo!).....of course you didn't mention a need for low taxes (there is always a catch ).

Apart from that, any country that lets anyone in, hands out passports and has no extradition treaties is likely to be full of folks (locals and furriners) who will detract from yer quality of life. and probably length of as well .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:01   #62

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by svmariane View Post

With respect, since the OP seemed essentially uninformed I provided links for a starting place of research. T'is the internet and buyer beware, of course, yet the OP should quickly understand that it's no longer as simple as getting off an aerocraft with two suitcases stuffed full of cash.

Please - feel free to provide more informative links with more accurate and pertinent information.
It was not my intent be disparaging of your post, but rather to point out that IL is biased. I could have presented that better.

In your context I think IL is not a bad starting point for an overview of options as long as one is aware that IL is a marketing entity (and thus biased).

After getting a handle on the overall most popular options and chosing one or more to investigate further I think it is best to talk directly with expats who live there. Most venues popular with expats have websites/forums these days and those are a good source of less biased information.

For example,

http://www.belizeforum.com/belize/

www.riodulcechisme.com

And a number of Panama forums.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:15   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post

Not sure how the "never turning back" angle fits with wanting dual citizenship?

I agree, I think there is a lot of confusion on this subject. You do not need citizenship of your host country to live there. All countries popular with expats have residency programs (often several different ones). Residency is typically a required first step toward citizenship anyway.

I've not lived in, and rarely visited, my home country (USA) since 2005. I do not have dual citizenship and have no functional need for it. I do have Guatemalan retirement residency which is easy to acquire.

Many countries have liberal tourist visa policies. There are plenty of expats here in Central America who've been here for years, even decades, on nothing more than tourist visas.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:28   #64

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwdrskr View Post
Okay, I've been following this post for a bit and and am waiting for cburger to chime in a bit more so all of this speculation can come to a halt. If this thread continues the way it is I wouldn't be surprised if the powers that be lock down this site and issue subpoenas...just sayin. Good info about legal ways of immigration tho!!!
My original question was merely for my own clarification of some things. I am not a criminal fleeing the law, but a completely disillusioned and bitter American who has spiritual and political beliefs that do not fall in line with the mainstream and am seriously thinking about improving my quality of life. For me making lots of money is not part of this equation.

Many of the things I used to believe in have been demonstrated to be lies. The late great George Carlin said it best "Do you know why they call it the American Dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it".

The fact that some here are paranoid about the use of the word "Extradition" goes to one of the reasons I am considering alternate living locations. Extradition, extradition, extradition.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:39   #65

Quote:
My original question was merely for my own clarification of some things. I am not a criminal fleeing the law, but a completely disillusioned and bitter American who has spiritual and political beliefs that do not fall in line with the mainstream and am seriously thinking about improving my quality of life. For me making lots of money is not part of this equation.

Many of the things I used to believe in have been demonstrated to be lies. The late great George Carlin said it best "Do you know why they call it the American Dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it".

The fact that some here are paranoid about the use of the word "Extradition" goes to one of the reasons I am considering alternate living locations. Extradition, extradition, extradition.
No paranoia. Extradition only applies in criminal proceedings. So when you start a thread about finding countries without extradition, the logical assumption is there are criminal proceedings involved.

Please post updates as you proceed. It will be interesting to see how your image of the world changes as you research and then possibly follow thru on your plans.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:45   #66

Boat: Dehler Varianta 65

I agree with Valhalla on this one... Extradition only applies to people in jail or about to go there.

Deportation is a completely different thing and can happen to anyone living somewhere without the appropriate a visa, for example.
messias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:47   #67
CLOD

Boat: none

The USA is a pretty big place. And except for health care you should be able to find a place to live that meets with one's sense of "valves".

PS - one of the things that will help is to stop listening or paying attention to the "news"
Old 02-02-2014, 05:49   #68

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
No paranoia. Extradition only applies in criminal proceedings. So when you start a thread about finding countries without extradition, the logical assumption is there are criminal proceedings involved.

Please post updates as you proceed. It will be interesting to see how your image of the world changes as you research and then possibly follow thru on your plans.
I do not see the world through any sort of "Rose colored glasses" on the contrary my perception is that mankind gets worse by the moment. Trying to figure out if in these very uncertain, dark times, if there is still one small corner of the world were it might be favorable to live honestly and peacefully.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:06   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post

Wow, Belize was way down. That doesn't ring true to me. I'd like to know more about how they scored this. Take the climate rating for example. I find Belize near perfect.
I lived in Belize, and did business there, for about 6 years. Not surprising to me that Belize does not rank so high in their chosen categories.

Comments on some of their categories for Belize.

Real Estate: Prices have gone way up in recent years. Although you can still find good buys or less expensive property inland. What they wont tell you is that the Lands Department record keeping is way screwed up so be very cautious about buying land. Deals gone bad are common and legal recourse ranges from inefficient/ineffective to pragmatically non existent (I have a real estate case that has been fumbling through the court system since 2006!)

Special Benefits: Decent benefits in their retirement residency program. Like duty free importation of personal goods.

Cost of Living: Belize and Costa Rica are the two most expensive countries in CA. You can easily spend more in either to maintain a comparable life style than you would for the same in the USA. Belize is expensive due to very high customs duties and the fact that Belize produces few products so a very high percentage of goods are imported.

Ease of Integration: Many Belizeans resent you being in their country. "Belize is for Belizeans" is a popular phrase. If you are only there as a tourist then not so much, but if you are living and doing business there then much more so. This attitude is especially pervasive among officials.

Health Care: Poor healthcare infrastructure compared to some other countries in the region (Guatemala in contrast is world class).

Retirement Infrastructure: Infrastructure of any kind is not Belize's strong suit.

Climate: If you like tropical hot and humid (which many of IL's target market do not) then Belize is great, but it is essentially a mono-climate with little variation between areas except for rainfall variance N to S (much more in S Belize). By contast, some other countries in the region, like Guatemala and Panama offer a range of climates due to their dramatic variations in altitude. In either you can go from sweating on the beach to bundled up by the fireplace within a few hours or less drive time.

Another thing to keep in mind is that visiting as a tourist is way different than living there. This is true of many countries, but especially so of Belize. It is not uncommon in Belize for folks who visited as tourists to jump rather blindly into moving there only to discover they don't like living there. One year is a commom time frame where new expats either decide to pack it in or stay. Therefore it is best to rent for a while (good strategy anywhere I think).
Old 02-02-2014, 06:19   #70
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Countries Wihout Extradition/ Dual Citizenship

Quote:

Why do you 'need' to belong to any country.. apart from the need for a passport to legalise travel.. one presumes you have a boat.. make that your country and the US passport a document of convenience..
Or.. if you have over a certain amount of cash to put into a Spanish or any of the Southern EU countries banks you'll get automatic citizenship..
Money Talks..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 06:54   #71

Boat: Dehler Varianta 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Or.. if you have over a certain amount of cash to put into a Spanish or any of the Southern EU countries banks you'll get automatic citizenship..
Money Talks..
Well... I´m from Portugal and that´s "kind" of true... if you have half-a-million Euros to buy some property, the permanent resident visa is issued immediately. But actually the USA does the exact same thing... only under the name "investment".

but if you do have 500.000€ in cash to spare... i really doubt that you´ll end up in Portugal...
messias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:01   #72
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Countries Wihout Extradition/ Dual Citizenship

Quote:
Originally Posted by messias View Post
Well... I´m from Portugal and that´s "kind" of true... if you have half-a-million Euros to buy some property, the permanent resident visa is issued immediately. But actually the USA does the exact same thing... only under the name "investment".

but if you do have 500.000€ in cash to spare... i really doubt that you´ll end up in Portugal...
True... I only had £500 and a 22ftr.. that's why I ended up here 7 years ago...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:08   #73

Boat: Islander 32 MII "Brilliant Sea"

Quote:

Thank you for your clarification. I too am fed up with the way things are going here in the good ole USA. Our government is too complicated and corrupt. Our police, both on land and water are doing there job to such extremes that it feels like martial law. Our teachers are way underpaid and our youth seems to think everything is entitled to them. I love most Americans; but it seems that they just accept the way things are and comply. I am not looking forward to the years ahead here. How much more of my hard earned money are they going take from me?

Our country is NOT the greatest in the world:

We would probably get along really well cburger, we should meet up for a few drinks and discuss the options that are out there.
Brilliant Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:10   #74

Quote:
I don't think the reaction to "extradition" here is paranoia, but a typical reaction to a controversial subject. If you are not currently a criminal, nor plan to become one, then why is extradition one of the subjects that interests you?

I have talked with others interested in the subject who mistakenly believe that living abroad exempts them from USA taxes or that they can't be "extradited" to be prosecuted for tax evasion. They are very mistaken on both counts. Living abroad does change your tax situation, but does not exempt you from USA taxes. And, the IRS is not going to bother with trying to extradite you....they want your assets not you. They will simply confiscate your assets - both foriegn and domestic. I've seen assets confiscated by the IRS several times in Belize (boats, real estate, bank accounts...).

Know a fellow captain here who ran a short charter once for guests who turned out to be IRS agents. They were in country to verify assets, one of which was an island, which were siezed immediately after their visit and then auctioned off.

If you want to live happily elsewhere then don't mess with the IRS.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:30   #75

OP, you need to stop being such a lazy whining pro-government anti-gun freeloader liberal pussy!

Stop asking what a country can do for you.

Do what your founding fathers did: create your own country!

List of micronations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you succeed, Your Majesty, I respectfully submit my name for the position of Supreme Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary to Brazil. I'm already here, and diplomatic immunity would be very helpful.

Long live the king!
VFerreira is offline   Reply With Quote