Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2014, 11:17   #76

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38
Re: Countries Wihout Extradition/ Dual Citizenship

Pwdrskr said,
Our country is NOT the greatest in the world:

Try telling that to an american!!!!

I have lived in a few countries and my children went to local schools. I know the US has some distinct advantages, but she is not the know all, catch all. For my personality the US is not on my top of the list, but as I own a business am kind of trapped, and my wife has strong family ties here.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:52   #77

Boat: Islander 32 MII "Brilliant Sea"

I am an American, but our government is on a down, out of control spiral. There are better places and yes there will be different freedoms associated with them. I am with the OP about all the lies, it will only get worse and I won't live to see it get any better. I too am looking for a new home. Peace love and happiness!
Brilliant Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 13:40   #78

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
I don't think the reaction to "extradition" here is paranoia, but a typical reaction to a controversial subject. If you are not currently a criminal, nor plan to become one, then why is extradition one of the subjects that interests you?

I have talked with others interested in the subject who mistakenly believe that living abroad exempts them from USA taxes or that they can't be "extradited" to be prosecuted for tax evasion. They are very mistaken on both counts. Living abroad does change your tax situation, but does not exempt you from USA taxes. And, the IRS is not going to bother with trying to extradite you....they want your assets not you. They will simply confiscate your assets - both foriegn and domestic. I've seen assets confiscated by the IRS several times in Belize (boats, real estate, bank accounts...).

Know a fellow captain here who ran a short charter once for guests who turned out to be IRS agents. They were in country to verify assets, one of which was an island, which were siezed immediately after their visit and then auctioned off.

If you want to live happily elsewhere then don't mess with the IRS.
I am pretty much off the grid, no assets (except my tools, if they want em' they can have them) and guess what, no bank account. The boat is untouchable as well, so not really concerned with this stuff, like the song says, when you got nothing you got nothing to lose.

I am amazed how the IRS will go after the typical Joe or Jane but notice how not one individual connected with the financial meltdown really suffered any punishment and oh yeah, what's with this too big to fail B.S.?
Old 02-02-2014, 14:17   #79

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Cburger, sorry you have given up on the US, it does seem we are a pendulum swinging from one extreme to another. I hope you find your little slice of utopia.
Good luck.
Old 02-02-2014, 14:18   #80

Boat: Dehler Varianta 65

You puss....(plural)

Try to make a living in a bankrupt country (while it was not bankrupt by its citizens), not have a pension, not have a government worth the name, prime ministers with a couple of law suits agains him in action (and still "governing"), with salary cuts of 200€ between real cuts and more taxes...when the average income is about 900€ and a lousy apartment is 400€, and pay 30€ just to get into the emergency room, even if you payed the appropriate taxes...and keep on smiling.

At least you guys can find a cheap used boat in the US!
Try to find one here...

Ohhhh... and you have peanut butter!
..and Apple-Jacks!
messias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 14:30   #81
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Countries Wihout Extradition/ Dual Citizenship

Quote:
Originally Posted by messias View Post
You puss....(plural)

Try to make a living in a bankrupt country (while it was not bankrupt by its citizens), not have a pension,
not have a government worth the name, prime ministers with a couple of law suits agains him in action (and still "governing"), with salary cuts of 200€ between real cuts and more taxes...when the average income is about 900€ and a lousy apartment is 400€, and pay 30€ just to get into the emergency room, even if you payed the appropriate taxes...and keep on smiling.

At least you guys can find a cheap used boat in the US!
Try to find one here...

Ohhhh... and you have peanut butter!
..and Apple-Jacks!
Bit exaggerated mate.. I can get a 2 bed sea view apartment long term for 275/mth furnished in Fig da Foz..
I paid 40 euro for treatment of 2 broken ribs including x-rays..
Pay cuts are bad tho'.. a professor friend has had 1000/mth cut from his salary..
But the cost of living here is vastly cheaper than the UK where a single room would cost me upwards of £100/wk and service bills are 500% more
But as a native Coimbra friend said to me once..
"For a Portuguese.. everything is expensive..!!"
As for the cheap boats.. drop me a line.. I'll sail one down for you.. just register it in Belgium..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 14:38   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post
I am pretty much off the grid, no assets (except my tools, if they want em' they can have them) and guess what, no bank account. The boat is untouchable as well, so not really concerned with this stuff, like the song says, when you got nothing you got nothing to lose.

Thanx for your furthur clarifications. If you can cobble together $30,000, that's the 'investment sum to get a residency visa in Fiji. Koros Island is an off-grid community focused on Ex-Pats primarily from the US, EU, & Australia. That $30,000 is enough to buy a plot of land on Koros. You can purchase now with the idea of saving cash for an earlier than planned retirement since you can live on less than $8000/yr. No property taxes and you'd no longer have to worry about qualifying for employment.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 14:51   #83

Boat: Dehler Varianta 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
"For a Portuguese.. everything is expensive..!!"
As for the cheap boats.. drop me a line.. I'll sail one down for you.. just register it in Belgium..
Spot on!
About the "expensive part"

On the cheap boat...I think that your delivery fees would be more than what a portuguese guy would pay for the actual boat , LOL
Nevertheless... I´d love to have a beer with you!
Maybe we can discuss some cruising lessons (seriously)

I´ll send you a message!

Sorry for messing up this topic boys (and girls)... I´ll be extraditing myself now.
messias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 14:58   #84
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Countries Wihout Extradition/ Dual Citizenship

Quote:
Originally Posted by messias View Post
Spot on!
About the "expensive part"

On the cheap boat...I think that your delivery fees would be more than what a portuguese guy would pay for the actual boat , LOL
Nevertheless... I´d love to have a beer with you!
Maybe we can discuss some cruising lessons (seriously)

I´ll send you a message!

Sorry for messing up this topic boys (and girls)... I´ll be extraditing myself now.
Having tried to sell boats to people who think offering 25% of the price asked is being generous.. or wanting to 'Troco' crap..
Your likely correct..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 17:58   #85

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy

North Korea
Belarus
Iran
No extradition
Old 02-02-2014, 18:29   #86
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Cape Verdes

Dave
Old 02-02-2014, 19:33   #87
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

There's plenty of cool countries out there without extradition. Croatia, Kazakhstan, Western Sahara, Dubai, UAE ,Bhutan. Whats all the fuss?
I would rather, on the other hand, do my best to make the US better. My kids are here, and they need the best I can give them.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 20:07   #88

Boat: Freedom 38

The grass is always greener somewhere else and bad attitudes are always that. I have dual French and US citizenship, but I'm no naive flag waver. No matter where you are, there is always going to be something that gets your goat. Even if you're in the far woods by yourself, the G**D*** woodpeckers will be drumming on the roof too early in the morning, the bears just won't ever leave your stash alone, and the squirrels will be constantly gnawing on the insulation. Just sayin'...
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 20:59   #89

Boat: Westsail 32

CB, Have you ever been out of the country, do you have a passport, if you don't , get one, if you've got some money, get out for a while, go to some of the places you think you might like, don't give up your US citizenship, your US passport is gold, the IRS, all you have to is file, no big deal, there are a lot of things I don't like about the states, but there are a lot of things that I miss too. In a way, I feel more free in Thailand than I do in the US, I've only been back 3 times in 5 years, just for a week or so, but it just seems like it's turning more and more into a police state, maybe it's just me, keep your options open, you can live in SE Asia cheap, but it's not for everybody, we're going back, work on our cabin in Colorado some, get the boat ready for long distance, and get back out.
SKG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 21:35   #90

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
There's plenty of cool countries out there without extradition. Croatia, Kazakhstan, Western Sahara, Dubai, UAE ,Bhutan. Whats all the fuss?
I would rather, on the other hand, do my best to make the US better. My kids are here, and they need the best I can give them.
I agree. Don't give up your right to vote.
We need every vote we can get to throw the bums out.
It is just incredible that the 'leaders' of the house and senate get reelected year after year after year after year, when they clearly have failed to do almost anything useful. My local congressmen eventually died, and we elect his wife now..