Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2006, 13:11   #16

Hey Invitation.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised about Indonesia!!

They have pretty much have always been the most corrupted country for many many years?

And that's one country I definately have no interest in either!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 08:29   #17

Boat: Mumby 48
Re: Corruption Index - 2003

Ssullivan I agree with you that in a rich country like the US the corruption is hitting up businesses or rich people. That's where the money is. It’s not the penny ante stuff that people in poor countries have to deal with on a daily basis. And the worst isn’t congressmen. How did a recent president and first lady go from broke to multi millionaires? And now stuff is coming out about the family of a vice-president making millions.

But I disagree with you about car insurance. You actually don’t always have to have insurance in most (all?) states. You have to show financial responsibility and that’s either by posting a bond or (easier) insurance. In a country where medical and other bills resulting from an accident you cause can be in the millions shouldn’t you be able to make the other person whole? Is it fair to accidentally kill a family’s breadwinner and then say, “Oh, sorry. I don’t have enough money to replace his earnings. I guess you have to go on welfare.”

And Wahoo Sails: My experience is the most patriotic Americans are the ones most upset with the corruption we face in our country. The “flag wavers” as you put it are not at all ignorant of what’s going on but are labelled as deplorables if they object and try to fight it. It's more a problem of the press. If the press will not excuse corruption because it's from their political favorites things will be cleaner.
Epicurean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 08:55   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

This year’s (2019) Corruption Perceptions Index analysis shows corruption is more pervasive in countries where big money can flow freely into electoral campaigns and where governments listen only to the voices of wealthy or well-connected individuals.
The top countries are New Zealand and Denmark, with scores of 87 each, followed by Finland (86), Singapore (85), Sweden (85) and Switzerland (85).
The bottom countries are Somalia, South Sudan and Syria with scores of 9, 12 and 13, respectively. These countries are closely followed by Yemen (15), Venezuela (16), Sudan (16), Equatorial Guinea (16) and Afghanistan (16).
In the last eight years, only 22 countries significantly improved their CPI scores, including Greece, Guyana and Estonia.
In the same period, 21 countries significantly decreased their scores, including Canada, Australia and Nicaragua.
In the remaining 137 countries, the levels of corruption show little to no change.

2019 Report➥ https://www.transparency.org/whatwed...ons_index_2019

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 09:32   #19

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

14 year old thread resurrection, thats probably not the record, but its gotta be in the running! [emoji6]
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 10:32   #20

Boat: Island Packet 40

Must have come up in a search, would anyone actually read them all back to then?

And its all being stored somewhere, is the dataverse expanding at a slower or faster rate than the universe?
RaymondR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 16:59   #21

I'm trying to enter the Guiness Book of World Records by reading every Cruisersforum post. As soon as I finish I will know everything about sailing and then my wife said I can buy a boat and sail around the world. Could you guys please stop posting so I can catch up? Thanks. (I think I'm up to 2006)
Old 23-02-2020, 02:46   #22

southatlantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 04:38   #23

So apparently...Perception is Reality.

Of course, I was talking with an overseas client and she was frantic. Her daughter was going for her drivers license and her "wasta" was on vacation, so there was no way she could possibly get her license. The next day, she was ecstatic and so proud that her daughter got it without a "wasta".

I think a big difference is big fish corruption vs little fish corruption. Most of your advanced western nations have largely stamped out the little fish variety. The big fish on the other hand bite back if you try to mess with their corruption.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 05:27   #24

The countries with minimal corruption are mostly small, ethnically homogeneous and with town meeting/referenda type of governments. ANd of course those centuries old Calvinist or just Protestant values. In US we similarly have some states which are less corrupt then others (ME, NH, VT etc) and more corrupt (we all know which ones, no need to list them). Although, just as with globalization, many previously less corrupt states are being flooded with escapess from more corrupt ones , and becomeing more corrupt in the process.

Unfortunately I see no real democratic solution in sight as the twin pincers of less strict voter registration and access rules combined with the exponential and legalized big money dump into the election process is very tough to check without running afoul of the Constitution. And as to the changing the Constitution to prohibit the big money involvement with the elections, no one in their right mind, looking at who whould be doing the changing, would want these crooks to be part of the process.

I'm afraid we're stuck with this unholy mess for a while. Or at least until the money runs out. Our money. Their money will be there for a while.
Island Time O25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 21:57   #25

This year’s (2019) Corruption Perceptions Index analysis

So it's not actual corruption, just perceptions of it.

The top countries are New Zealand------

Might just be that they are a terrible bunch of holier than thou types??
Old 23-02-2020, 22:12   #26
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
In the same period, 21 countries significantly decreased their scores, including Canada, Australia and Nicaragua. ...[/URL]
Sad, but true.
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 01:24   #27

Missing from that that is Venezuela, we wanted to extend our visas and paid a bribe to a travel agency lady to do that. We wanted diesel fuel but it is illlegal to sell to foreigners, we paid a bribe to get it to the attendant. It was mind numbingly cheap because it is subsidiesed.
Michael Cobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 01:29   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp12 View Post
Sad, but true.
Nah, in the nineties you could buy a prime minister with an investment in a pig farm. No way you could get away with that now.

We're just getting to be bigger whingers and corruption is just something else to whinge about. If you asked those with an increased perception of corruption to actually specify the identity of a corrupt individual they would answer "them".
Old 24-02-2020, 01:33   #29
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Nah, in the nineties you could buy a prime minister with an investment in a pig farm. No way you could get away with that now.

We're just getting to be bigger whingers and corruption is just something else to whinge about. If you asked those with an increased perception of corruption to actually specify the identity of a corrupt individual they would answer "them".

Most definitely yes.

Mining is the new pig farm. Just ask 'the beetrooter' or ScottyFromMarketing about their best friends Gina and Clive.

Own a sporting club? The super needy club the Mosman Rowers were pretty stoked with the $500k grant they got.

Then there's whistleblower prosecutions, journalist intimidation....I could go on.
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 03:06   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
The countries with minimal corruption are mostly small, ethnically homogeneous and with town meeting/referenda type of governments. ANd of course those centuries old Calvinist or just Protestant values. In US we similarly have some states which are less corrupt then others (ME, NH, VT etc) and more corrupt (we all know which ones, no need to list them). Although, just as with globalization, many previously less corrupt states are being flooded with escapess from more corrupt ones , and becomeing more corrupt in the process.

Unfortunately I see no real democratic solution in sight as the twin pincers of less strict voter registration and access rules combined with the exponential and legalized big money dump into the election process is very tough to check without running afoul of the Constitution. And as to the changing the Constitution to prohibit the big money involvement with the elections, no one in their right mind, looking at who whould be doing the changing, would want these crooks to be part of the process.

I'm afraid we're stuck with this unholy mess for a while. Or at least until the money runs out. Our money. Their money will be there for a while.
Island Time, I like what you said. Usually it's the one party governances that are the most corrupt, like most of our large cities. Which states do you think are the most corrupt? I'm not sure. My home states of Illinois and Louisiana are probably high on the list. And is corruption well-defined? If almost a billion$ is given to Solyndra which then predictably fails, is that corruption? It seems like the game plan was faulty. Or were they just funneling money to supporters?

I have relatives who want to leave San Francisco because of it's problems. But they voted for those people and wherever they go they'll vote similar types in. Maybe we should restrict immigration out of cities that are sh*tholes.