Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2010, 04:48   #1

Copies of Documents

Can anybody help - I am preparing for global cruising/liveaboard and I am taking most of my belongings with me. I was wondering if it is best to take only photo-copies of certificates (boat registration, proof of purchase, sailing and diving qualifications, personal items such as birth certificates) and leave the originals safely ashore with somebody, or will I need the originals when I am in foriegn ports? Probably a dumb question but any advice welcome.

James
MattDamon2927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2010, 05:17   #2

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
You will need the original papers for most of those you ask about. A sensible way to work it out is to ask yourself if a photocopy would be acceptable in your own country, without sight of the original.

That said, you need loads of photocopies of everything as well, because the port authorities will want to keep a copy.

Hope that helps

P.
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:39   #3

Thank You

Thank you kindly for that Fishwife, it was just what I needed to know. I will keep a set of originals onboard, with copies of everything, and an electronic copy ashore somewhere. That should cover it I guess.
Old 03-02-2010, 13:01   #4
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Grey, I would suggest making good color copies of everything, and keeping the originals in a water-tight sealed tin or plastic pouch placed where it is unlikely to be found if the boat is burgled.

When someone needs the originals (if they can tell the difference) or if you need to take papers ashore, by all means, take out the real things. But also leave color copies with some folks back home, in case you DO lose the originals and need some type of proof of them.

Copies on a couple of USB memory sticks can also be very useful, again especially if the papers are not available and you need "something" rather than nothing. The same stick can carry backups of your medical records, licenses, last year's tax returns (you never know), credit card & bank numbers, etc. Obviously, that kind of thing should be on an encrypted USB stick--so someone can't snatch it and impersonate you. While they are more expensive, there are some waterproof USB sticks, and then there's IronKey, if you really want a rugged stick.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 13:24   #5

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
James, In all of our travels we were required to produce the original and leave copies. We made many copies on a good quality color copier that looked very close to the originals and most officials were very impressed. WG

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 13:31   #6

Boat: Caliber 40LRC
It also doesn't hurt, in some places, to have at least some of the copies notarized.
fmastin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 14:39   #7

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
I've always scanned the originals, encrypted the files, compressed, and e-mailed to myself. That way at the very least I have access to the information if worse case happens. All i need is a computer with access to gmail
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 15:51   #8
Armchair Bucketeer

Losing a passport when abroad can be a PITA (I've lost 3 ) - useful to have a copy, at least for the Uk makes getting a replacement a bit quicker. Also may then need to replace a visa, the organised will have taken a copy of that page to assist in getting a replacement from da locals...........never been that organised myself
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 18:33   #9

Boat: s/v Zero To Cruising. PDQ 32 Altair Classic Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
I've always scanned the originals, encrypted the files, compressed, and e-mailed to myself. That way at the very least I have access to the information if worse case happens. All i need is a computer with access to gmail
This, I think, is a very good idea and pretty easy to do.

Mike
Old 03-02-2010, 23:37   #10

Boat: Nauticat 42 (Jersey, U.K.)
Send a message via Skype™ to bobsadler
i've scanned mine to PDF and have these PDF files, password protected, on my website so that they're accessible anywhere i have internet access. you can get a website free of charge if you're willing to put up with a bit of advertising or close to free of charge if you're not.
bobsadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:49   #11

Hi All,

Thanks very much for all of the replies - I have got a good idea of how to proceed now. This is a great site...!

James
Old 07-05-2010, 11:31   #12
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Bob, if you're using Acrobat's password protection? That's been hacked, often, in the past. Identity theft being what it is, you might want to look at something like Toucan, using a 256-bit or longer encryption key. The free encryption programs that aren't application or server linked make for good insurance.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 19:12   #13

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Cruising internationally on a boat you only need originals of the vessels documentation (national level registration) and your passport. All other documents can be copies of originals that are kept in some safe place.
- - Many people including myself will spend some time down at a color copy center and make really good color copies of the vessel's documentation certificate. If done right you cannot tell the difference between the actual original and the color copy. The copies are held in reserve should something happen to the original.
- - Copies of all other financial stuff like bank cards, insurance papers, personal identification (other than passport) are good to have handy in case you need to apply for something or other in the foreign country. Somethings like a driver's license, are originals as you will need it to rent a car. What other extra documents and cards you need is solely dependent upon what and how much you want to do on shore. But as far as the boat and it crew is concerned only the boat's papers and the passport must be original - and - not expired.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote