Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 28-10-2014, 11:23   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Contagion spreads from Florida to Exumas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Crikey! The Bahamas are ok to cruise but they are not the be all and end all!
Get the white floppy things up your masts and come cruising!

Here in the caribbean islands its cheaper, more diverse cultures 30 nms away and its not flat as Budweiser.

Happy hour beers here at a waterside bar are $2 and then we go on to another bar where they are $1! Good waterfront bars!

And that is why the whole thing works, competition

Old 28-10-2014, 12:25   #32

Mr Carey apologized for his remarks about boaters.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Old 28-10-2014, 13:02   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keel Scraper View Post
Mr Carey apologized for his remarks about boaters.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
But was he being sincere or was he forced to do so? I for one think he was forced to do so and his true view was well represented in his original statement. I'm sure not every Bahamian benefits from tourism. After all they probably made a whole lot more money running drugs and in prior times, rum than they have ever made off of tourists. Remember the current political party in power's motto is ""Bahamas for the Bahamians".
Old 28-10-2014, 14:05   #34
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

He apologised about what he said, not what he believes.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 14:11   #35
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Crikey! The Bahamas are ok to cruise but they are not the be all and end all!
Get the white floppy things up your masts and come cruising!

Here in the caribbean islands its cheaper, more diverse cultures 30 nms away and its not flat as Budweiser.

Happy hour beers here at a waterside bar are $2 and then we go on to another bar where they are $1! Good waterfront bars!
NOW I see why you have stayed there for so long. Actually to me, it seems once cruisers get down where you are, they never return. Hopefully we join you in the near future.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 14:41   #36

Boat: Krogen 42
Wait till Cuba is open for the US.
Old 28-10-2014, 14:46   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by meridian28 View Post

That is what I'm hoping anyway
Old 28-10-2014, 15:27   #38

Quote:
Soon as the Castro brothers die, it probably will be. That can't be that long.
Old 28-10-2014, 17:33   #39
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Hmm. Any of our Canadian friends been to Cuba?

This is an old post from 2007, but I have read that you can't anchor out in Cuba? From Cuban Cruising

In several of Cuba's natural harbours, anchoring is "no permiso", forcing cruisers to use the local marinas. Cuban marina docks are solid, but the concrete is crumbling along the edges, leaving nasty metal spikes reaching out to scrape your shiny topsides. There are electrical outlets on the docks, but the sockets are likely to be incorrectly wired. There are plenty of showers, but there may not be any water, any lights or a roof. There are toilets, but there may be no toilet seats, paper or water. The chandlery is well stocked, but it is stocked with cans of local coke and Havana Club rum. Maybe that's not really a problem! Our first stop in Santiago was to exchange some of our US dollars for local pesos.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It doesn't necessarily sound like paradise. Just saying....

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 19:49   #40

Boat: Tashiba 40

I've been cruising the lower Caribbean for many years and decided this year to pop up to Green Cove Springs for a few upgrades and some much needed preventative maintenance. (Great place, inexpensive and layed back)
After a nice downhill run from PR to the Turks and Caicos we encountered the BIG hand reaching out. Outrageous clearance fees, groceries, when you could find them at 2-3 times the prices we have been paying. Boat parts-good luck.
If you wanted to order parts, the shipping and taxes were staggering.
Georgetown was a breath of fresh air but it is the only place that really welcomes cruisers. Many boaters spent much of the cruising season there and many initially planned to head toward the Caribbean and just didn't go.
There are few safe anchorages and the wind is very fickle and unpredictable.
Nassau is a bummer- very expensive-few if any suitable anchorages and strong currents and tides to deal with. The sailboat services are almost non-existant.
For those looking to head south, PR to Trinidad, the run is well worth it. The length of the Antillies (PR to Trinidad) is similar to the length of the Bahamas.
There are at least 30 haulout facilities in the Antillies. You are never more than 15-20 miles from a major chandlery. Prices are usually based on stateside price plus shipping. The two major suppliers are Budget marine (More stuff than West Marine) and Island Water World who have some sort of special going all the time. The wind is 15-20kts out of the East 300 days a year.You have to clear customs and immigration for every island but it is easy and inexpensive. (1 Euro in the French Islands). If you have any problem you have experienced sailors who are always glad to help for a beer. Fresh veggies abound and there is an abundance of foods from all over the world.
Why would people want to continue to be fleeced, overcharged and fearful in the Bahamas when you can simply head East until you hit highway 64 and proceed south direct to the BVI;s and see what cruising is really about.
Old 28-10-2014, 20:08   #41

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
pirate Re: Contagion spreads from Florida to Exumas

Quote:
The Canadians worst nightmare come true!
Old 29-10-2014, 06:49   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Outbound 44

One thing heading east from the Bahamas won't give you is snorkeling/diving at the caliber that the Bahamas offers. Most of the reefs in the eastern carib are in sad shape. I'm sitting in Bonaire right now in the southern Carib. There is no anchoring allowed anywhere on the two islands - enforced. Moorings are US$10 a night. Clear in/out is free. Visas are good for 90 days out of 180. The diving is spectacular, as the reefs are being taken care of. I certainly prefer to be anchored on my own hook, but in this case I'm happy to be using a mooring and not tearing up the bottom. Lots of interesting sea life even in and under the sandy areas.
Old 29-10-2014, 07:21   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Keel Scraper.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2014, 07:58   #44
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 2001 Albin 28TE.

Let me see, we sailed to the Bahamas 27 times, average check-in fee was $150, that is over $4000 to the Bahamian Government. Always bought fuel and dinner, drinks, etc in Bimini, in the Berries and in the Exumas, say $400 per trip, over $10k.
Don't feel guilty at all for anchoring in the Bahamas, good try though..
CSY Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 05:44   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
The other side of this coin is some a--hole built a cottage on our favorite beach in our favorite anchorage and now rents it out to other a--holes that think they own the entire cove. Maybe cruisers we using that anchorage for 50 years before the cottage was built and ruined the beach. I noticed how you said "our little reef". Did your rental contract specify that you were renting the reef as well as the cottage? Did you also rent the anchorage? Did you follow everyone in the anchorage around to see if they were spending money in the local businesses? I don't know which anchorage you are referring to so I can't say why they would want to anchor if front of the cottage in question, but maybe it's sheltered from a particular wind direction that makes it the best place to anchor. As for sewage being dumped on your beach, I wonder where the sewage from the cottage goes? How many sewage treatment plants will you find in the Bahamas? I bet there are none in the "out Islands" I certainly hope you didn't take a dump for the entire time you were there because odds are your sewage was going into the water and contaminating the beach for all of those poor yachties. I might have a little sympathy if you were a Bahamian, but you are just another f---ing tourist like the rest of us.
I mostly agree with the gist of your opening argument. But then you went wildly off track. I'm assuming that your questions are rhetorical, so I won't bother answering them; the answers would make you silly. That's because you don't know what you are talking about; your post is almost all wrong.

I posted this to give a resident's point of view of visiting yachts, based on a real place and real Bahamians. Arrogant dismissal of other people's viewpoints, as illustrated in your post, is exactly what I'm talking about, and exactly why onerous regulations and fees are imposed on boaters by local people.

Bahamian reefs and the fish that populate them belong to the Bahamian people. You are allowed to be there and take fish only by the grace of the Bahamian people. Act with consideration and humility.

Tags
exumas, florida

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: