Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2011, 15:40   #1

Boat: Bristol 32
Concealed Weapons on Board

Im sure that their are a number of threads on the topic of weapons, specifically firearms aboard cruising boats. I know that their are some hassels with clearing in when carrying an arsenal. but after reading about the canadian sailor who was murdered off the coast of honduras, i cant help but think about personal protection.

I know not declaring a weapon can get you in some serious trouble in parts of the world, so is it better to declare? not declare? do they hold the weapon until you clear out?

Any first hand experience, please share your thoughts.

I know reeds nautical almanac has immigration rules, associated with firearms.

Id love to hear some thoughts on the topic. or other ways to defend yourself aboard? go for the slocom approach w/ carpet tacks on the deck?
Old 18-01-2011, 15:44   #2

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
It can only lead to trouble. If you use it and didn't declare it you will be in an indefensible legal situation. Bad things will happen to you from that point forward.
Old 18-01-2011, 15:44   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Let me Custom Google the Forum for you:
firearms guns weapons - Google Search

Old 18-01-2011, 15:51   #4

yea, after reading a bit, it looks like a hassle. unless you just stay in US waters, but thats boring.
Old 18-01-2011, 15:53   #5
CLOD

Boat: none
You got to be kidding! Don't declare you weapon, have them find out, they take your boat and throw you out of the coutry.
Old 18-01-2011, 15:53   #6

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Guns are just to much trouble.
Carry pepper spray when walking around and have a larger can onboard.

Mark
Old 18-01-2011, 15:57   #7

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
You got to be kidding! Don't declare you weapon, have them find out, they take your boat and throw you out of the coutry.
Or much worse take your boat and maybe KEEP you in the country for a couple of years.
Steve W.
Old 18-01-2011, 16:01   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

If your that paranoid stay at home.... but there's lots n lots of us out here who go to all kinds of dodgy places/countries and leave ok....
S*#t happens everywhere/anywhere if your in the wrong place at the wrong time..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 18-01-2011, 16:15   #9

lose your boat , go to jail........... sounds better then what happened to the canadian in Honduras
Old 18-01-2011, 16:17   #10

i think a firearm would be alot of hassle. im looking into other means of protection, one of the people i met suggested a glass jar of gasoline, and a flare gun.
Old 18-01-2011, 16:30   #11

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
In Trinadad a person who decides to stay and obtains a residence visa can't own a gun, but a citizen is allowed to have firearms.

One time in Trinidad, up at Scotland Bay, a local was doing the normal Triny thing and racing his Jetski through the anchored boats and making way to much noise. One of the cruisiers started throwing potatoes at him as he raced by. The local returned with a pistol and threatened the cruisier. The cruisier filed a complaint with the Police and Customs. After deliberating for two weeks the decision was that you shouldn't throw potatoes at citizens of Trinidad. It's thier water, not yours.

Another time in Trinidad, two cruisiers from different countries disagreed on anchoring locations and one cruisier displayed a shotgun. The offended cruisier reported it to Customs. In Trinidad all firearms must be put in Bond while you're in Trinidad and the cruisier with the shotgun oaid an enormas fine as a result.
Old 18-01-2011, 16:30   #12

Boat: Mason 53
G'day, mate. In New Zealand, any firearms must be declared upon arrival. Unless you have a fixed, lockable storage compartment to store your firearm, unloaded on board, your will be required to turn your firearm over to the nearest police station that has secure firearm storage facilities. For example, for those yachts clearing into Opua, in the Bay of Islands, the firearms are stored at Whangarei. When you have fabricated such compartment on board or wish to clear out, your firearm will be returned to you.

In addition, it is also unlawful for a person to have pepper spray here. Hope that helps for this part of the world. Cheers.
Old 18-01-2011, 16:30   #13

that is terrible, i cant believe their are people in the world that sick. all the more reason to go sailing
Old 18-01-2011, 16:40   #14

Boat: looking
In preparing for my escape from Canada, I've bounced back & forth on this consideration for awhile. I've considered guns, crossbows, bear spray & nothing. From past experience, I have found that bear spray will definitely incapacitate someone. I inadvertantly stepped on/tripped over a canister while preparing for a camping trip & gassed myself & my dog! It will shoot about 20+ feet but should never be released in a confined area. Every country has their own program with guns; some may allow a gun to remain on board in a lock-up, others will hold it until you are leaving, some places will confiscate it, officially or unofficially. If you don't declare such a weapon, however, you'd be in very hot water if caught with it and could lose not only the weapon, but your boat, a lot of money, even your freedom. Having lived in the southern Philippines, both, with(illegally) & without a gun, I agree with Mark & will probably only carry bear spray when I sail back to the islands this year. The odds of encountering a problem doesn't weigh evenly with the guaranteed headaches along the way, imho. Yes, this topics been "done to death" and you'll read valid points on each side of the discussion. In the end, you know as much as anyone else & will have to make the decision for yourself, so it really isn't worth the on-forum clashes to determine what others are doing. Best of luck with your decision, though.
Mike
Old 18-01-2011, 17:06   #15

Oooh. The word "paranoid" has already been used. This thread should go bad soon.

I'm not sure, but I think the OP was asking for advice. I did not get the impression he asked to be labeled.

Frankly, I wouldn't carry one outside US waters. I've never been in a foreign country on a boat I was controlling, but I have been to foreign countries where the local authorities will take advantage of you any chance they get. A gun in some foreign countries could spell trouble. In some places, I would think a gun would put you in more danger than the possible risk of local criminals. Just gotta weigh your odds I guess.
Closed Thread