Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2011, 19:26   #91

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by muskoka

In my experience the boat is always searched casually by swarthy mustachioed gentlemen who aren't too bright and who are only looking for booze and bribes.

Is this not the case in all non-English speaking countries?
Si! Extra points for using the word "swarthy"! :-)

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Old 19-01-2011, 19:26   #92

Boat: Lagoon 380, 38', I Dream of Jeanne
"Note to anyone relatively new to cruising; it is not wise to believe that anyone not American is a lazy idiot. What this person is describing is a recipe to lose your boat. Intelligence as I know it is evenly distributed throughout the World. Except possibly in this thread... "

Who called anyone a "Lazy Idiot"? That's not very nice. Government workers throughout the world (including the USA) - lazy?? Formulate your own opinion.

"What this person is describing is a recipe to lose your boat." WHAT YOU'RE DESCRIBING IS A RECIPE TO LOOSE YOUR LIFE!!!

We all have to make the gun choice for ourselves, based on our perceived risk, including how we choose to transport them. I wanted to offer some ideas I've learned from old salts that have been around longer than myself.

No need to be nasty.
Old 19-01-2011, 19:31   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Van H View Post
Note to anyone relatively new to cruising; it is not wise to believe that anyone not American is a lazy idiot. What this person is describing is a recipe to lose your boat. Intelligence as I know it is evenly distributed throughout the World. Except possibly in this thread... :-)
Hearing different points of view on a topic is good for everyone. Knocking someone or inferring to the level of their intelligence if they don't agree with your own only serves to highlight a lack of intelligence on your part.
It was my impression this forum was based upon sharing ideas and experiences .Nothing more nothing less. It is ultimately a personal choice how any of us choose to defend/ protect our vessel actively or passively.
Old 19-01-2011, 19:34   #94
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskoka View Post
In my experience the boat is always searched casually by swarthy mustachioed gentlemen who aren't too bright and who are only looking for booze and bribes.

Is this not the case in all non-English speaking countries?
A few years ago I met a Canadian cruiser and had a coupla drinks with him and his wife... he said to me just before I left... "Hey Phil... your a lot more intelligent than you look and act..."
'But of course" I said... "I like to be one step ahead.."

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
Old 19-01-2011, 19:42   #95

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadlaroche

Hearing different points of view on a topic is good for everyone. Knocking someone or inferring to the level of their intelligence if they don't agree with your own only serves to highlight a lack of intelligence on your part.
It was my impression this forum was based upon sharing ideas and experiences .Nothing more nothing less. It is ultimately a personal choice how any of us choose to defend/ protect our vessel actively or passively.
Sharing ideas on this public forum is fine. Suggesting various ways to smuggle into foreign countries, disregarding other governments regulations, and encouraging other possibly newbie cruisers to do the same isn't too cool. How exactly would you feel if you knew a foreign yacht just sailed into YOUR harbor with several smuggled guns aboard? The previous poster suggested just that, along with the fact that customs agents might be lazy, and implying their lack of intelligence by being easily fooled... Does that serve to highlight a lack of intelligence too?

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Old 19-01-2011, 19:49   #96

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbenner View Post
I wanted to offer some ideas I've learned from old salts that have been around longer than myself.

No need to be nasty.
What you're describing is the classic hidden 'smugglers nook' compartment. The trick described in books, on film, and even this message board.

I'd wager that even the lowliest third world customs officer has seen every imaginable variation of that old smugglers trick.
Old 19-01-2011, 21:18   #97
cruiser

sweet spots

like that 50 cal plan,,leave them sinking,,gonna check-in to price /size of one of those recoilless if i sail into bad boy rules area,,problem doing that is their liable to call their bad boy buddies if you leave vthem breathing or claim total innocence to some bud onshore and cause you big legal hassle,,i would think the noise of a 50cal cannon would scare off most except the most determined and cleaning their house would probably safe someone else alot of grief lateri suppose walk softly and carry a big stick is the bumper sticker for the 50cal,,hope you never have to shed no innocent blood brother in arms,,on a lighter note the guy was an arms dealer till he lost his hands,,never saw that on a bumper sticker but i did see a t-shirt that read" kill them all let god sort them out",some marine motto as i recall,same as marines never die they just go to hell to regroup,,but the one that attracts unwanted attention as your reaching for the firearm stashed in the liferaft container is{drumroll} guns dont kill people i do,,thats one sweet spot thats waterproof while underway,,
Old 19-01-2011, 21:46   #98
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
As with most gun threads this one has gone past its use by date and is now closed.
Closed Thread