Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread

Old 19-01-2011, 14:17   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
In California, the container holding the defence spray must be less than 2.5 Oz.

In the state of Maine, criminal usage of pepper spray or similar products is a violation of law[Requires clarification], but usage of said products for self-defence as well as possession are legal.

In Massachusetts, residents may purchase defence sprays only from licensed Firearms Dealers in that state, and must hold a valid Firearms Identification Card (FID) or License to Carry Firearms (LTC).

In Michigan, pepper spray is legal if it has less than 2% of the active ingredient, this decreases the length of the effects but not the SHU. Sprays containing a mixture of CN/CS are also banned.

In the state of New York, pepper spray may be legally possessed by any person age 18 or over; however, it must be purchased in person (i.e. cannot be purchased by mail-order or internet sale) either at a pharmacy or from a licensed firearm retailer (NY Penal Law 265.20 14 (a)), and the seller must keep a record of purchases. The use of pepper spray to prevent a public official from performing his/her official duties is a class-E felony.

New Jersey allows non-felons over the age of 18 to possess a small amount of pepper spray, with no more than three quarters of an ounce of chemical substance.

In the State of Washington, persons over 18 may carry personal-protection spray devices. Persons over age 14 may carry personal-protection spray devices with their legal guardian's consent.

In Wisconsin, tear gas is not permissible. By regulation, OC products with a maximum OC concentration of 10% and weight range of oleoresin of capsicum and inert ingredients of 15-60 grams are authorized. This is 1/2 oz. and 2 oz. spray. Further, the product cannot be camouflaged, and must have a safety feature designed to prevent accidental discharge. The units may not have an effective range of over 20 feet and must have an effective range of six feet. In addition there are certain labeling and packaging requirements: must state cannot sell to anyone under 18 and the phone number of the manufacturer has to be on the label. The units must also be sold in sealed tamper-proof packages.

In many (but not all) other states, pepper spray can be purchased at various stores and carried legally by anyone over 18. However, many states do not say anything about age.

In Canada ,all products with a label containing the words pepper spray, mace, etc, or otherwise originally produced for use on humans are classified as a prohibited weapon. Only law enforcement officers and individuals with special government authorization may legally carry or possess pepper spray. Any similar canister with the labels reading "dog spray" and/or "bear spray" is regulated under the Pest Control Products Act - while legal to be carried by anyone, it is against the law if its use causes 'a risk of imminent death or serious bodily harm to another person' or harming the environment and carries a penalty up to a fine of $500,000 and jail time of maximum 3 years. Of course, the legality of using spray intended for animal deterrent on a person would be determined in court on a case-by-case basis.

In Hong Kong, pepper spray is classified as "arms" under the "Laws of Hong Kong". Chap 238 Firearms and Ammunition Ordinance. Without a valid license from the Hong Kong Police Force, it is a crime to possess and can result in a fine of $100,000 and to imprisonment for 14 years.

In India, pepper spray is legal and does not require any licence; however they are not sold over the counter and may only be used in self-defence.

In Iran, the use of pepper spray is forbidden and is only used by police forces.

In Iraq ,OC spray is carried by U.S. military guard force members working in detainee operations.

In the Northern Territory of Australia, capsicum spray is prescribed by regulation to be a prohibited weapon under the Weapons Control Act.This legislation makes it an offence for someone without permit, normally anyone who is not an officer of Police/Correctional Services/Customs/Defence, to carry a prohibited weapon.

In Tasmania, Australia, possession of capsicum spray by unauthorised persons is illegal, under an amendment of the Police Offences Act 1935, being classified as an, "Offensive weapon". Similarly, possession of knives, batons and other any other instrument that may be considered, "Offensive Weapons" if they are possessed by an individual, in a Public Place, "Without lawful excuse". Self-defence is not a lawful excuse to carry such items. Authority to possess and use Oleo-resin Capsicum devices remains with Tasmania Police Officers (As part of general-issue operational equipment), and Tasmanian Justice Department (H.M. Prisons) Officers.

In The Philippines the use of pepper spray for self defence is legal, and it is freely available in stores.

In South Korea Pepper spray containing OC is legal; however, gas-gun types need a simple licence to own. CS is only available for police and private security firms.

In Belgium it is classified as a prohibited weapon, and it is illegal for anyone other than police officers to carry a capsicum spray. The use by the security services of public transport companies is also authorised after obtaining permission from the minister of internal affairs.

In Denmark possession of pepper spray is illegal for private citizens. As of 2008, police officers carry pepper spray as part of their standard equipment. This was introduced following the shooting of a number of mentally ill citizens – in 2006 also killing 4 people – who had behaved violently or in a threatening manner, leaving the police force in want of a defensive, non-lethal weapon. However, the police have also continued carrying guns, using them as frequently as before, causing the Danish civil liberties organization KRIM to conclude that pepper spray has not displaced the use of guns, but merely added to the arsenal of weapons of the police force.

In Finland it is classified as a device governed by the firearm act and possession of pepper spray requires a licence. Licences are issued for defensive purposes and to individuals working jobs where such a device is needed such as the private security sector. The Finnish Supreme Court, although, has recently ruled in KKO:2010:7 that owning a pepper spray in itself is not a punishable act; but on the other hand, carrying one can be punished as a device capable of harming other people.

In Germany pepper sprays labelled for the purpose of defence against animals may be owned and carried by anyone (even minors). Such sprays are not legally considered as weapons §1. Carrying it at (or on the way to and from) demonstrations may still be punished Sprays that are not labelled "animal-defence spray" or do not bear the test mark of the Materialprüfungsanstalt de:Materialprüfungsanstalt (MPA) (material testing institute) are classified as prohibited weapons. Justified use against humans as self-defence is allowed. CS sprays bearing a test mark of the MPA may be owned and carried by anyone over the age of 14.

In Hungary pepper spray is reserved for law enforcement (including civilian members of the auxiliary police), civilians may carry canisters filled with maximum 20 grams of any other lachrymatory agent. However there is no restriction for pepper gas pistol cartridges.

In Ireland, an Garda Síochána have recently been given pepper spray in an attempt to reduce attacks on its officers, however they remain an unarmed force. Possession of this spray by persons other than Gardaí is an offence under the Firearms and Offensive Weapons Act, as the spray is legally classed as a firearm.

In Iceland possession of pepper spray is illegal for private citizens. Police officers carry pepper spray as part of their standard equipment.

In Latvia pepper spray in canisters is classified as a self-defence device and can be bought and carried by anyone over 16 years of age, and pepper spray handguns can be bought and carried without any licence by anyone over 18.

In the Netherlands pepper spray is illegal for civilians to own and carry. Only police officers who are trained in the specific use of pepper spray are allowed to carry and use it against civilians and animals.

In Russia pepper sprays are classified as a self-defence device (not a weapon) and can be carried by anyone over 18. Usage against humans is legal. OC is not the only agent used, CS, CR, PAM (МПК) and (rarely) CN are also perfectly legal and highly popular.

In Slovakia pepper spray is classified as a self-defence weapon, and it is available to anyone over 18. Use against humans is officially prohibited.

In Switzerland pepper sprays are classified as a self-defence device (not a weapon) and can be carried by anyone. Use against humans is legal.

In Spain approved pepper spray made with 5% CS is available to anyone older than 18 years. Recently adopted for some civilian use, OC pepper spray (e.g. one of 22 grams, with no registration DGSP-07-22-SDP, is approved by the Ministry of Health and Consumption).

In Sweden, possession of pepper spray is legal with a weapons possession license. Police officers, prison officers, and military police have pepper spray possession licenses.[citation needed]

In the United Kingdom, "Any weapon of whatever description designed or adapted for the discharge of any noxious liquid, gas or other thing" is a Prohibited Weapon, under S.5 of The Firearms Act 1968. The same act covers other prohibited weapons such as automatic firearms and rocket launchers, all of which can only be possessed by permission of the Home Secretary. Although legal for police officers, recent debates have arisen whether such a weapon should be legal for civilians as means of defensive purposes only.

Old 19-01-2011, 14:27   #62

Thanks,
My situation is this, My wife and I are meeting a friend in Honduras and we are sailing to Cancun. I want to protect us with somthing I trust hence, a sling shot or a hunting knife. I can fly out with them but I don't know if I can bring a sling shot or hunting knife thrue other countries customs offices.

Old 19-01-2011, 14:34   #63
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyd60051 View Post
Thanks,
My situation is this, My wife and I are meeting a friend in Honduras and we are sailing to Cancun. I want to protect us with somthing I trust hence, a sling shot or a hunting knife. I can fly out with them but I don't know if I can bring a sling shot or hunting knife thrue other countries customs offices.
In your hand luggage I doubt it very much but I often carry illegal size knives etc in my check in luggage... even into the US... never had a problem.

Born To Be Wild
Old 19-01-2011, 14:35   #64
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

why not turn up at airport security screening and give it a go..!

Dave
Old 19-01-2011, 14:36   #65
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
In your hand luggage I doubt it very much but I often carry illegal size knives etc in my check in luggage... even into the US... never had a problem.
Yet, never had a problem ,,yet

Dave
Old 19-01-2011, 14:38   #66

I wonder if there is a Bass Pro Shop in Honduras
Old 19-01-2011, 14:39   #67
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410
So far on the thread the Rambo Cat seems like the best idea!
Old 19-01-2011, 14:42   #68
cruiser

pirate when guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns?

knew this thread would bring a response from all over town,,original poster asks for firsthand experiance with undeclared firearms,,yes,,ireceived 500 USD fine for undeclared firearm about 15yrs ago{im sure fine has probably increased now}was really no big deal,,immediate bail, pay fine,gun returned to me upon leaving country,and told to declare in future,,love these guys that say we should have portable RPGs and sink the robbers boat,,hilarious,,dont know fine for rocket propelled grenade but met american with 50cal battle rifle onboard,,serious firepower that will inflict the type of hull damage that"captain58sailin" refers to,,if you got the 1000-2000 to spare a 50cal recoilless is definately a wise choice,,hard to conceal unless u have seen the movie THE JACKAL starring bruce willis,,mine was just a little handgun but it holds 18 rounds and i figure if the first 2-3 dont scare em away,,well,,id rather knot type next move,,cheers,,most wolves dont prey on us sheep that shoot back,,read offnews.info specifically JAN 15 2011,,headline caribbean piracy-A COLD WIND IS BLOWING OVER THE FRATERNITY OF CARRIBEAN SAILORS- for a recent rundown of victims of piracy,,many instances are not well known,,usually a firearm is simply held by customs till you leave so a good plastic case protects it from prying eyes and damage while stored,,shotguns are easily fired accurately enough to be deadly and even allowed to remain on board in many countries as it is a permitted resident firearm,,handguns,assault rifles etc. are usually temporararily kept by authorities until you leave,,if your tempted to shoot a wild pig or 50 mallard ducks a day as a resident can be very careful as this is paoching and then the authorities can seize your boat,,a customs guy told me]} once its not illegal to declare a ton of coke in intl waters its not illegal,doubt id test that statement,,plaques are available that read"no unauthorized boarding" in three languages{english,french,spanish} and portable motion sensor alarms are available that detect heat movement on deck while you are asleep,,i purchased several years ago from SEARS and unless a boarder has no body heat he/she wont surprise you,,also great for scaring off the dink theifs{who really wants to shhoot those losers anyways
Old 19-01-2011, 14:42   #69

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Yet, never had a problem ,,yet

Dave
Don't tell me..... you work for US Customs and now you've flagged my name....
Working kit my man.... but cuts wicked..

Born To Be Wild
Old 19-01-2011, 14:59   #70

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61

Vatican City.....???
If drugs are often smuggled in condoms, what are condoms smuggled in?

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Old 19-01-2011, 15:02   #71
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
get creative,liquid ammonia in a water pistol,will drop a crowd,available over the counter in most countries........................
Old 19-01-2011, 15:18   #72

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Van H View Post
If drugs are often smuggled in condoms, what are condoms smuggled in?
Do you Really wanna know.....

Born To Be Wild
Old 19-01-2011, 15:38   #73
Armchair Bucketeer

One thing that never gets mentioned in these threads is..............

.........best body armour might buy you vital seconds to close in on the baddie to stab him with a slingshot

I am somewhat of a traditionalist. The full suit

Old 19-01-2011, 15:43   #74
cruiser

ha,ha,yes,, your flagged and just like the movie BODY OF LIES the nsa can turn yor cellphone into a microphone when you think its off,,believe it or is it more lies from the media,,im sure the authorities got bigger fish to fry than the boater with a firearm such as maniacs ruining their tourism business,,id rather be judged by1-12 than carried by 6,,and who says im sticking around to discuss it,,when righteous men fail to act evil prevails and there is no 911 to call ,,its a serious move best left untold..trespassing has always been a serious offence as stated in the lords prayer,,abd forgive us our trespasses as we shall sprat 9 all over the deck,,
Old 19-01-2011, 16:15   #75

Boat: FP, Helia 44 Evo
David_Old_Jersey,

Nice one
Is that a SS cup your wearing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: