Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: How did you do on the self test+
Piece of cake got them all 4 44.44%
Darn! need to study up, missed more than 2 3 33.33%
I was totally lost! 2 22.22%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2015, 01:08   #1

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Colregs Test Yourself

Hello boys and girls. On another thread we got to discussing what value certificates/licenses have. As usual we did not reach an agreement. So I've decided to let you all test yourselves. Below is part of the Danish written exam for Yachtmaster 3rd Class. This is only part of the test.

It also includes an entire section on sounds signals (F.eks.- what does one long, one short, one long, one short horn blast mean?) or what signal must a ship that is not at anchor but lying stopped in the water make when it is foggy?

You have 30 minutes to fill it out and if you have more than 2 wrong - you've flunked and are not allowed to go to the oral part of the test (usually a naval officer who grills you for about 1/2 hour on items like weather, DR navigation and other wonderful topics) So test yourself and in a couple of days I'll post the answers.

If you can't answer these correctly - maybe you need to take some courses on the Colregs and day and night signals.

enjoy (i'm such a nasty guy)

carsten

ANSWERS ARE IN POST 29
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Y3 prøve.pdf (89.0 KB, 319 views)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 03:03   #2

Boat: Orca 38
Re: Colregs Test Yourself

YOU'VE decided to LET everyone test themselves?
How gracious of you!

Let me guess, you have lots of certificates, huh?
Old 27-01-2015, 03:07   #3

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Hello boys and girls. On another thread we got to discussing what value certificates/licenses have. As usual we did not reach an agreement. So I've decided to let you all test yourselves. Below is part of the Danish written exam for Yachtmaster 3rd Class. This is only part of the test.

It also includes an entire section on sounds signals (F.eks.- what does one long, one short, one long, one short horn blast mean?) or what signal must a ship that is not at anchor but lying stopped in the water make when it is foggy?

You have 30 minutes to fill it out and if you have more than 2 wrong - you've flunked and are not allowed to go to the oral part of the test (usually a naval officer who grills you for about 1/2 hour on items like weather, DR navigation and other wonderful topics) So test yourself and in a couple of days I'll post the answers.

If you can't answer these correctly - maybe you need to take some courses on the Colregs and day and night signals.

enjoy (i'm such a nasty guy)

carsten
That's too hard for me. I just pass port to port and give way to everything. Oh, and avoid things that are hard.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 03:13   #4

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Fog signals? What's fog?Obviously a Danskcentric exam cos they have lots of fog'n'stuff....

BTW... making sound signals on a yacht is about as much use as pharting in a force 10...
Old 27-01-2015, 04:36   #5

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strait Shooter View Post
YOU'VE decided to LET everyone test themselves?
How gracious of you!

Let me guess, you have lots of certificates, huh?
Well yes - I do think I being very gracious

On a more serious note - if you sail at night or in crowded waters, it is absolutely imperative that you know these things. Try sailing down the Solent, English Channel or the Øresund between Denmark/Sweden. If you know the Colregs and signals - not a problem. If you don't, you'll either end up hitting something or else you'll be a nervous wreck by the end of the night

yes I do have all the certificates that can be gotten - but that's beside the point.

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 27-01-2015, 04:39   #6

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Fog signals? What's fog?Obviously a Danskcentric exam cos they have lots of fog'n'stuff....

BTW... making sound signals on a yacht is about as much use as pharting in a force 10...
Well they do have fog in the english channel on occasion......................

I agree that making these signal from a saiboat is perhaps overkill, but when the other (big) ships in the fog around you are busy sounding them, it may be useful to understand what they are telling you

Old 27-01-2015, 06:35   #7

I think this is a fun test. We''re not talking stability or ship construction here. It's just the ColRegs. Third mate stuff. Most third mates writing these exams are going to be 22 or 23 year olds.

In Canada there's no mention of ColRegs exams past chief mate /master 3000. No need- you already passed the test when you were fresh out of college before you had any real experience.

I would think experienced long distance cruisers should be able to come close to a 22 year old 3rd mate knowledge wise?

Maybe not- but I like tests- I can't open it though

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 06:48   #8

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
I think this is a fun test. We''re not talking stability or ship construction here. It's just the ColRegs. Third mate stuff. Most third mates writing these exams are going to be 22 or 23 year olds.

In Canada there's no mention of ColRegs exams past chief mate /master 3000. No need- you already passed the test when you were fresh out of college before you had any real experience.

I would think experienced long distance cruisers should be able to come close to a 22 year old 3rd mate knowledge wise?

Maybe not- but I like tests- I can't open it though

I don't understand why you can't open it - is anyone else having problems opening it? It has been opened 34 times.

But you're right - anyone calling themselves a cruiser should be able to answer these questions without any problem.

But so far no one seems to even have tried.

Old 27-01-2015, 07:20   #9

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Opened for me. I'm interested to see what the answers for some are - there are some where the only requirement is to keep out of the way; a turn to port might actually be the best response depending on other factors not given.

Oh never mind, I see you can mark more than one answer.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 07:34   #10

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Hello carsten, I may take the test later today after the last coat of bottom paint goes on. Hope to be back in the water next Monday.

I suspect and predict an utter failure however. A time limited test with such a high failure threshold, maybe, is used for students who are in a course of study in prep for such a test? I don't know.

Maybe many experienced older cruisers here would find the test very hard.

I know this less experienced older cruiser will.

My recall of sound signals is based on how common they are in my area. One or two blasts being most common of course. I think I need a sound signal cheat sheet in the cockpit.
Old 27-01-2015, 07:43   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
I don't understand why you can't open it - is anyone else having problems opening it? It has been opened 34 times.

But you're right - anyone calling themselves a cruiser should be able to answer these questions without any problem.

But so far no one seems to even have tried.
It's probably my dog old cell phone. Will try when I get home on my computer.

FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 08:35   #12

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
Opened for me. I'm interested to see what the answers for some are - there are some where the only requirement is to keep out of the way; a turn to port might actually be the best response depending on other factors not given.

Oh never mind, I see you can mark more than one answer.
According to the Danish Maritime Authority - there are no vagarities. Some of the questions require more than 1 X in either or both columns.

This is not the entire test - If I get time I'll post some more sections tomorrow.

The reason for the short time limit (aside from practical), is that when at sea in crowded sea lanes you will not have time to go rummaging around looking at books - this knowledge has to be imprinted on your brain. You should not have a need for second thoughts.

Old 27-01-2015, 08:38   #13

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

I've added a poll - so you can tell us how you did.

Be interesting to see how many think this is a piece of cake

Old 27-01-2015, 08:45   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

I have never understood all the resistance to wanting to learn the COLREG's.

"Just staying out of the way" (altering course when one is the stand-on vessel, in itself is a violation of the COLREG's)

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 08:47   #15
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

as a previous instructor, I found that that the vast majority of adults that ridiculed tests were doing do because of a secret fear they'd fail. !!

Dave