Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2019, 16:21   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Colregs Research and Understanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Graham View Post
Just wondering did you pass the test?

One issue many do not understand about the Colregs is that there are 4 separate sets of rules.

1. Open inland waters when different types of ships are near each other
This is where you use the pecking order.
2. Channels and fairways - used a different set of rules.
3. Western Rivers, Great Lakes - used a different set of rules.
4. International waters (high seas) - almost all the rules are the same as inland waters except there is a section about "Vessels Constrained be their Draft" rule 28

So for example a sailboat in open water has right of way over a power boat.
But in a western river the down bound power boat has the right of way over a sailboat.

So when taking the test first think which one of the 4 situations is the question asking about and then use that set of rules to answer the question.

1. There is only one set of rules in COLREGs. US Inland Rules are NOT COLREGs.

Please do NOT use the expression "Right of Way" when talking about COLREGs and situtations such as "a sailboat in open water". . It reveals ignorance of both the wording and the intent of the relevant collision rules.

Note: The OP does not say he is in the US or studying for an exam on US Navigation Rules, he specifically asked about COLREGS (The International Regulations for Preventingf Collisions At Sea)
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2019, 16:30   #17

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
1. There is only one set of rules in COLREGs. US Inland Rules are NOT COLREGs.

Please do NOT use the expression "Right of Way" when talking about COLREGs and situtations such as "a sailboat in open water". . It reveals ignorance of both the wording and the intent of the relevant collision rules.

Note: The OP does not say he is in the US or studying for an exam on US Navigation Rules, he specifically asked about COLREGS (The International Regulations for Preventingf Collisions At Sea)
Amen. Lots of countries have their own specific inland rules, sometimes varying in local regions. Where I am, for example, there is a formal exclusion zone around any large vessel extending 100m in each direction and 500m ahead. And you have to have your vessel's name in letters over 90mm high. And all sorts of other stuff.

Colregs are colregs, though, and they stay the same. And they say nothing about right of way.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2019, 19:23   #18

Boat: Columbia 36

The four short blasts sounded by a pilot vessel are just an identity signal for use in restricted visibility. Imagine back in the days before radar and AIS (when the COLREGS were written), a pilot boat wandering around in the fog looking for the ship they're supposed to bring in. At the same time, the ship looking for the pilot. The ID signal helps them locate each other. The pilot would sound four short after whatever fog signal they're sounding, one prolonged for making way, or two prolonged for not making way, or possibly even ringing the bell for anchored.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2019, 19:49   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jgw View Post
The four short blasts sounded by a pilot vessel are just an identity signal for use in restricted visibility. Imagine back in the days before radar and AIS (when the COLREGS were written), a pilot boat wandering around in the fog looking for the ship they're supposed to bring in. At the same time, the ship looking for the pilot. The ID signal helps them locate each other. The pilot would sound four short after whatever fog signal they're sounding, one prolonged for making way, or two prolonged for not making way, or possibly even ringing the bell for anchored.

What? No radar in 1972?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 05:30   #20

Boat: Columbia 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
What? No radar in 1972?
Ok, the Rules were internationally accepted in 1972, but the practices and traditions they're based on go back hundreds of years. For example the Rules use the word "whistle" instead of "horn". Steamships had whistles, modern ships and boats have horns. Pretty much there aren't any steamships anymore, and weren't in 1972 either, but the old terminology is still used.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 05:57   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jgw View Post
Ok, the Rules were internationally accepted in 1972, but the practices and traditions they're based on go back hundreds of years. For example the Rules use the word "whistle" instead of "horn". Steamships had whistles, modern ships and boats have horns. Pretty much there aren't any steamships anymore, and weren't in 1972 either, but the old terminology is still used.

Stu was joking.

You are completely right -- and the COLREGS have been around longer than radar. The '72 edition is only the latest version. The first set of truly international rules became effective in 1864. See: History.html
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc, research