Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread

Old 30-04-2008, 13:29   #61
One of Those

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Catalac 12M
Ahnold has a master plan?

Does it involve Jesse Ventura or Hulk Hogan?

Old 30-04-2008, 13:33   #62
Kai Nui

Believe it or not, renewable energy. But, we digress...
We need to keep this thread specific to the boating community. While the bigger picture may be political or social breakdown, only posts that relate to the boating community should be included in this thread per forum rules. Let's keep this one on track, and going. Great discussion.

Old 30-04-2008, 18:19   #63
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangomuffins View Post
Oh yea, another thing... I hope all of you unpatriotic rabble-rousers realize that your email is being monitored and that you will probably end up on some watch list.
Impossible? Maybe not...
I've been on the list for *years*... ha ha. I can still fly without extra security checks though.

Here's what I don't like, personally:

Say I anchor in Kai Nui's harbor for 4 months. Say I'm there to work, or maybe just to relax, but say I'm not a very social person and I like to keep to myself.

Now, having this be the actual case for me many times, I am *sure* the dock rumors fly with all sorts of imaginative stories about that "weird boat" out there anchored out.

Now what if, based on those rumors and hearsay, someone decides to call the 1 800 BUS THIM line on me?

How is this a good thing for cruisers, liveaboards, or those that want to *travel* with their boats?
Old 01-05-2008, 04:03   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
All they want you to do is carry your wallet (with a piece of personal ID in it),
It is unclear to me how my photo ID is going to help protect the country from terrorist attack.

The only way the government will know if I am carrying an ID is if they regularly stop people out on the water and demand to see the ID.

It is unclear to me how carrying a certificate from a boating safety class is going to help protect the country from terrorist attack.

The only way the government will know if I am carrying a certificate is if they regularly stop people out on the water and demand to see the certificate.

Do we think that terrorists don't have photo IDs? Do we think that terrorists can't pass the boating safety course?

The guys that attacked on 9/11 had photo IDs and had been through airline pilot school; I'm going to guess they could have passed a boating safety class too.

The drawbacks of this aspect are obvious: If you implement this program, the police can stop you and demand to see if your papers are in order, but I haven't yet seen an explanation of how that improves security.

Quote:
get a bit educated on the potential threats,
If DHS is about to get specific about how to recognize something worth reporting, that could be interesting, but for years now, I've been seeing flyers about reporting stuff. Unfortunately, they have all been pretty vague: "people who don't look like they belong in the area", "suspicious activity", "unusual behaviour"

Quote:
and call a phone number if you see someone anchoring his boat near the end of an airport runway and unpacking a RPG.
Duh - anybody would report it, but be realistic. I'm not going to see someone anchoring at the end of the runway and unpacking an RPG. I'm going to see someone anchoring under the bridge with 4 fishing poles sticking out of his boat -- and it is not going to be suspicious activity because there is always somebody fishing under the bridge.

My real concern is that with the perceived urgency to DO SOMETHING, we will end up with a lot of troubles for the innocent, without actually protecting anything.

Do you know how to protect against terrorists with RPGs hiding at the end of the runway? I do. You make a restricted area around the runway. You CLEARLY mark it on all the maps and charts. You put up fences to keep people out and signs so they know why there is a fence. You put large unmistakable buoys in the waterways.

The point is to make it so clear that nobody can possibly miss the fact that you are trying to keep people out of the area. Having done that, you have guards watch the entire area ALL THE TIME. You don't just hope that somebody will happen to notice any problem.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:45   #65
One of Those

Cruisers Forum Supporter

What's WRONG with you, Coot!?!?! That's common sense you're talking there. And efficiency.

The thread is about the US Government. NOT about common sense or efficiency. And how in the heck can we build a police state if people won't accept laws that they can be stopped at any time, for no reason, to have their papers examined? You see, you got to understand, the Government is trying to explain to you that you and your personal boat are to be a PARTNER with them. Not a Subject. Now, they havent exactly pointed out the relative percentages of this partnership. Try to stay on track, here, will ya?

I know how the partnership with the government thing works, actually. I remember a couple police officers in Beeville Texas back in the 70's who didn't like long-haired surfers driving through their town. But they explained, as they were searching the van..."Just stand there and keep your mouth shut, 'Partner' "
Old 01-05-2008, 06:04   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
... I remember a couple police officers in Beeville Texas back in the 70's who didn't like long-haired surfers driving through their town. But they explained, as they were searching the van..."Just stand there and keep your mouth shut, 'Partner' "
I think I met those fine fellas in Brownsville, Tx, in the mid-sixties.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:07   #67

Boat: 27' Albin Vega - mangomuffins
Canibul,

Your problem was being in Beeville... shoulda gone surfing in Austin
Old 01-05-2008, 10:04   #68
One of Those

Cruisers Forum Supporter

We were on our way from Austin to Port A, actually.

Or maybe South Padre, I don't remember all the details. We performed the customary celebration of not spending the night in jail in Beeville...
Old 01-05-2008, 12:09   #69

Boat: 1914 Fantail M.Y. "Strathbelle"
Thanks Coot,

You posted what I have been thinking since this thread started. Actually longer.

Making us carry various ID's and Licenses does absolutely nothing except make the dumb people "sheeple" feel safe. Note: I said "feel" not actually "be".

And I understand the increased boardings to catch bad guys unaware, but they take it too far. They go through the boat with a fine tooth comb looking for violations to write up. Seems more like a revenue builder than a safety thing. If it were really about "homeland security" it would just be a quick courtesy stop to see what's going on and make sure you don't have a boat full of fertilizer.

Instead... they board boats at the dock and find a retired couple watching TV with their pet. Do they think this is a "homeland security" threat? Probably not, but they search the boat and disrupt the relaxing couple anyhow. Then hassle them about equipment and ruin their night. For what?

1914 Fantail Motor Yacht of Riveted Iron & Steel
http://www.Strathbelle.com
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: