Join CruisersForum Today

Old 09-03-2013, 08:50   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Coast Guard Role in UFO's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
No, I know what's in them. I've worked a lot of ports. Not too mention, a container almost completely submerged in pretty much a natural shape charge.
True, but what goes up will come down. If the container does go boom you might have large chunks of shrapnel falling out of the sky.

On the other hand, I used to work for a company that imported large quantities of powdered chlorine compounds to make tablets for swimming pools. Get a container full wet and it will release clouds of chlorine gas. The drums were well sealed but they weren't bullet proof. A couple of rounds into that container could start and interesting chain reaction.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:26   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
True, but what goes up will come down. If the container does go boom you might have large chunks of shrapnel falling out of the sky.

On the other hand, I used to work for a company that imported large quantities of powdered chlorine compounds to make tablets for swimming pools. Get a container full wet and it will release clouds of chlorine gas. The drums were well sealed but they weren't bullet proof. A couple of rounds into that container could start and interesting chain reaction.
I can't imagine anything but a low order detonation of anything carried in a container, but I guess anything is possible. After having watched more than a few containers get slammed onto the dock, you wouldnt' want to be around one anytime that had anything unstable in it.

I guess it's all pretty much theoretical, since it doesn't appear anybody here has actually encountered on in their whole lives, at sea.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:57   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I can't imagine anything but a low order detonation of anything carried in a container, but I guess anything is possible.
Oh I completely agree. The odds of anything in a container going boom in a big way is probably down there in the slim to none category, at least based on anything I have ever been aware of. I do however, wonder how the big bang products are shipped around. Most I assume are made locally due to the risk of shipping but certainly some things must get shipped around. My biggest concern would be toxic chemicals. Just off the top of my head I can think of a dozen deadly chemicals that are regularly shipped in containers.

Quote:
I guess it's all pretty much theoretical, since it doesn't appear anybody here has actually encountered on in their whole lives, at sea.
Haven't done a lot of offshore since I had to get a real job about 30 years back so no recent experience, but back in the olden days floating containers of any kind were pretty much unheard of. I do know of a few fires and release of toxic fumes from containers on ships. About ten years ago shipping companies quite shipping pool chemicals from China after a couple of containers spontaneously combusted and released chlorine gas.
Old 12-03-2013, 15:03   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
I learned this the hard way, when in 1985/86 the Nedlloyd Bermuda took 365 tons of my steel bldg to the bottom off the continental shelf. Unfortunely, took Capt and Crew as well.
back in early 2000's I heard that some nice motor cruisers were lost off the deck of a container ship, I think there were 3 swept overboard. Like Kady Krogen's or such. REALLY nice boats, brand new from the yards enroute to their new owners in the USA.
Old 12-03-2013, 15:05   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Couple thousand? A shipping container with cargo could weigh 50,000 lbs or more. Heavier than most boats. Hit one of those and you will come to a screeching halt.
I was referring to the weight of an empty container. I'm sure the full ones are like running into a building at Sea!
Old 12-03-2013, 15:15   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Usually no one responds to UFO. In a busy channel I have seen refrigerators, stoves...... No one seems to respond to clean it up its just a hazard that people who put up with chat on 16 know about. One more reason to use dsc or Chanel 9 for buddies friends and chit chat calls.
Heck, won't be long before a TV show is produced showing one of you guys down there as 'Sea Goin' Scrappers' Actually, with the price of scrap these days, plus the fact the TV show pays each participant something like $50,000 per season......and most cruisers are short on 'cruising bucks'....
Old 12-03-2013, 15:17   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Some friends of mine found a container on the bottom in about fifty feet of water off Miami. It was full of wine. Unfortunately salt water had penetrated the bottles.
That's what we call a 'Classy Reef' up here in NJ "Divemaster I'll have the Pinot Noir please
Old 12-03-2013, 15:20   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Shooting at ocean containers is really stupid, in addition to what skipmac just said, much of what is shipped inside of containers has positive buoyancy.

They are also not completely air tight, so putting bullet holes in them is not going to do anything except to make you look like a redneck shooting at watermelons.
not to mention they are steel and one is shooting over water at them...high chances of richoeting bullets, no thanks I'll pass at shooting on one.

Once they sink to the bottom and become stable they should make great reef structures for marine life with so much surface area for growth to attach to.
Old 13-03-2013, 07:57   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamdigger View Post
not to mention they are steel and one is shooting over water at them...high chances of richoeting bullets, no thanks I'll pass at shooting on one.

Once they sink to the bottom and become stable they should make great reef structures for marine life with so much surface area for growth to attach to.
Out of curiosity. How much shooting have you actually done? Especially, steel plates.
Old 13-03-2013, 08:34   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamdigger View Post
I was referring to the weight of an empty container. I'm sure the full ones are like running into a building at Sea!
I would think so. If you were unlucky enough to hit a full one, catch it on the pointy corner along your hull sides it could be like the Titanic; peel open your hull and sink you in minutes.

Scary thought and annoying because, other than EPIRBs and life rafts there's not much you can do to prepare for this sort of encounter.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: