Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2008, 10:05   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Coast Guard Collision

I saw this footage on TV last night and was pretty surprised at what I saw. I went looking for it on YouTube and found it here.

My surprise is who broke Rule 15! The video mentions nothing about that.

Rule 15
When two power-driven vessels are crossing so as to involve risk of collision, the vessel which has the other on her own starboard side shall keep out of the way and shall, if the circumstances of the case admit, avoid crossing ahead of the other vessel.

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/mwv/navru...s/Rule1415.htm

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 10:22   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
Yep, CG Aux.
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 10:47   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
That wasn't regular Coast Guard?

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 11:01   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Yep! That was posted here a couple years ago.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:57   #5

Boat: 1974 Columbia 41
Man, the CG aux was pretty stupid there. I really dont like them saying it was the coast guard when it was aux (just civilians with limited training). If they were video taping the approaching small boat, why didnt they slow down or go to stbd? Ugh.
stoupidmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 16:37   #6

Boat: C&C Landfall 35 HiHo
That WAS the Coast Guard!
Hi Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 21:49   #7

Boat: Formula Thunderbird 26
First of all based on the fact that that paint scheme on the HH-65s hasn't been used in years I can definitely say that probably the 1980s or very early 90s. Secondly that is clearly an AUX boat based on how the stern is laid out and the flag is a dead giveaway. USCG boats put their flags on their masts along with a CG ensign. What this is a good video of is what happens when you aren't paying attention and driving too fast because you are trying to look like hot shots for the news crew on your stern. There are many talented and dedicated people in the aux but there are also a lot of idiots too that’s what happens when you get volunteers form the general public to augment your force, just like the USAF and CAP.
niteflite1287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:49   #8

Boat: Freedom 32 (Hoyt)
The poor seamanship is clearly shown on the CG Aux vessel. A professional crew in the CG would never run with fenders out at speed!!
r.furborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:59   #9

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by r.furborough View Post
The poor seamanship is clearly shown on the CG Aux vessel. A professional crew in the CG would never run with fenders out at speed!!

Around here, when they're still hanging out underway,
we call them "boat boogers".

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 21:53   #10

Boat: 32' CC Oday
I just saw this video on "Wildest Vacation Videos" and it revealed the circumstances of this collision.

An area was cordoned off to boat traffic while a search for a missing swimmer was conducted. (divers in the water?)

The Coast Guard vessel was attempting to stop Captain Stupid from entering the cordoned area. I assumed that the intent was to stop his boat one way or the other as the Coast Guard held fast to a collision course. (Aye, ramming speed Cap'n!)

As the video shows the boat operator was a perfect example of a dunderhead. He stated he had his stereo cranked up, and he never had a clue what hit him until he surfaced after the collision. He said, "All I heard was this terrific explosion and wondered what the....!"

My favorite part was when Captain Stupid explain how he had to cut up the remains of his boat before he could bring it to the landfill!

Its apparent that the CG Vessel did a commendable job and I am proud of their actions. It could have been my my loved one in the water the boat was wildly bearing down on.

Bernard Moitessier
BassAckwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 04:56   #11

The captain (helmsman) of boat (CG) which took that video was a jerk. There was no reason to stand on when the small boat's operator was not looking and he CG could certainly have slowed, steered astern which would have not been a problem and avoided the T bone collision.

Bone headed CG here.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 05:09   #12

Boat: Hughes 35 and Lagoon 380 S2
Rule 15 is one out of 38 rules. What about rule #5?

"Every vessel shall at all times maintain a proper lookout by sight and hearing as well as by all means appropriate in the prevailing circumstances and conditions so as to make a full appraisal of the situation and of the risk of collision."

The CG fellaws might have forgotten rule 15 but the other guy was distracted and certainly did not maintain a proper lookout to make full apparisal of the situation.
pierrrre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 05:14   #13

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassAckwards View Post
I just saw this video on "Wildest Vacation Videos" and it revealed the circumstances of this collision.

An area was cordoned off to boat traffic while a search for a missing swimmer was conducted. (divers in the water?)

The Coast Guard vessel was attempting to stop Captain Stupid from entering the cordoned area. I assumed that the intent was to stop his boat one way or the other as the Coast Guard held fast to a collision course. (Aye, ramming speed Cap'n!)

As the video shows the boat operator was a perfect example of a dunderhead. He stated he had his stereo cranked up, and he never had a clue what hit him until he surfaced after the collision. He said, "All I heard was this terrific explosion and wondered what the....!"

My favorite part was when Captain Stupid explain how he had to cut up the remains of his boat before he could bring it to the landfill!

Its apparent that the CG Vessel did a commendable job and I am proud of their actions. It could have been my my loved one in the water the boat was wildly bearing down on.
You've got to be winding us up, surely?

Even if the intent was as you said, ramming another boat with the risk of loosing a life is not the way to get commendation. The CG skipper should have been arrested and had the book thrown at him - as you can be sure it would be thrown at you had you done this same thing.

JOHN
Old 08-01-2009, 06:47   #14

Man this thing has it's own life. It can't be killed!

This event took place a number of years ago here in the Milwaukee area.

The truth has been so twisted, it's kind of weird and scary how the stories morph over time.

The reality (I live in Milwaukee and suffered through the constant coverage when it did happen) is that this collision took place during a training exercise on the lake.

It was a large scale operation between the CG, local responders, and the CG Aux..

The boat involved in the collision (from which the filming took place) was indeed an Aux. boat. It was not a CG boat. The video was being shot by a local TV crew who had been invited aboard the Aux vessel to film the training.

The collision was NOT a heroic event on anyones part. Both skippers messed up. A lawsuit was filed by the speedboat captain but I don't know the outcome.

I can see why there is some confusion. The video has been edited in a way that makes it appear the CG vessel in the original framing was the one involved in the collision.

It was not that boat.

Take a close look at the gunwales of the two boats. They are not the same because the collision boat was privately owned and operated and certainly NOT a CG vessel.

The local CG station took great care to distance themselves from the accident as it constantly played out on the local media for days on end.

It is AMAZING how things can get twisted and manipulated on the internet.
PA28235Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 10:34   #15

Boat: 32' CC Oday
In the context of the program I saw, the CG vessel was correct in stopping this boat from potentially running into people in the water.

If the actual facts prove different then its a different set of circumstances, and of course my opinion would be different. Other than that, if one didnt see the program, how can he disagree with what I saw and heard?

There are too many instances to name in which a CG vessel intentionally rams another vessel. This is no different than civilian police ramming a car that wont stop.

Coast Guard Runs Down Woman Protesting Whale Slaughter

<<a woman roaring around Neah Bay on a Jet Ski had been rammed by a Coast Guard boat protecting Makah whale hunters.>>>

The 24-year-old animal-rights activist had to be airlifted to Olympic Medical Center in Port Angeles yesterday after she was injured by the Coast Guard boat, which was trying to push her out of a federally mandated 500-yard exclusion zone around the whaling canoe.>>>

<<<"They ran over me. I wasn't expecting to get run over by a boat. I expected to try and protect a whale that's trying to migrate to its summer resting spot."

Abbott reported suffering a broken shoulder and some fractured ribs, and said she was being kept overnight in the hospital because of fears that her lungs might collapse.

The Coast Guard arrested Abbott, who could be charged in federal court for violating the exclusionary zone. She could face a fine and six years in jail. >>>

--http://www.commondreams.org/headlines/042100-02.htm

Bernard Moitessier
BassAckwards is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
collision