Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2014, 15:12   #16

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Re: Closest USA customs port of Entry to Sidney, BC, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by japarker11 View Post
Jd1,
If its a test you want, it will be a test you will get if you choose Roche Harbor and clear back through your homeland at Bedwell!
It seems these two stations are in a contest to be the most insulting, boot jack tough bunch on the US-Canada border. One seems bent on retaliating against the other for the gall of the Americans for requiring passports for border crossings. From personal experience of the last two years, each crossing involving each of these entry ports has been four hours of accusation and innuendo filled interrogations.

In the same time frame clearances at Victoria, Sydney and Friday Harbor were a breeze.
In the case of Roche, I am completely dumbfound as the personnel is largely the same as FHA.
Let us know your experiences.
My experience is far more dated than yours but my experience, particularly at Bedwell Hbr was exactly the oposite. I was checking into Canada with my Canadian passport with a South African, an Australian and a Brit which I thought would give the C&I in Canada a fit.
The guy in front of me, An American, was asked where he was headed to which he replied,'Alaska'. When asked if he had any firearms aboard, he said he had a 30.06, a shotgun and a .45 ACP 1911. The C&I officer said...'gee, I'm sorry Sir but handguns are not permitted in Canada to which the American sailor replied that he would not be going ashore in Canada, just passing through. When informed he was not allow to have a handgun in Canadian waters he got a bit belligerent but the Canadian C&I officer said, "look... I could confiscate the pistol and your boat right now but what I suggest is you return to Roche or Friday Harbor, mail the handdgun to yourself c/o General Delivery in your first Alaska port of call and pick it up there. They are used to this so don't worry, they'll take care of your pistol'.
Given the way the Officer could have handled it. the American sailor got off pretty easy I would say!
When I presented our 4 different passports, he said,' What have we here? the United Nations?' I was really impressed with his calm and friendly demeanor no matter he was faced with! Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 15:46   #17

Lots of places as mentioned. Roche probably the closest.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 06:37   #18
cruiser

Boat: Westsail 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthenorth View Post
As long as you don't set foot on US soil you can sail from Victoria to San Diego without clearing in. I'm not saying I'd recommend that but them's the rules.
Does this mean for example, I could sail 20 miles off the USA coast from the Canada/USA boarder to the USA/Mexico boarder without clearing customs or would I need to stay in international waters?
Razoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 07:02   #19

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razoo View Post
Does this mean for example, I could sail 20 miles off the USA coast from the Canada/USA boarder to the USA/Mexico boarder without clearing customs or would I need to stay in international waters?
You can sail all you want in U.S. waters without clearing, touch the bottom with an anchor, touch a dock, touch another vessel then you have to clear.

From the Customs and Border Patrol Patrol government web site:
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...tering-the-u.s.

If your boat has anchored or tied up, you are considered to have entered the United States. No one shall board or leave the boat without first completing customs processing, unless permission to do so is granted by the CBP Officer in charge.

The CFR(code of federal regulations) also says if you make contact with a hovering vessel you have entered.
19 CFR 4.2 - Reports of arrival of vessels. | LII / Legal Information Institute
(b) For purposes of this part, “foreign port or place” includes a hovering vessel,
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 07:47   #20
cruiser

Boat: Westsail 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
You can sail all you want in U.S. waters without clearing, touch the bottom with an anchor, touch a dock, touch another vessel then you have to clear.

From the Customs and Border Patrol Patrol government web site:
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...tering-the-u.s.

If your boat has anchored or tied up, you are considered to have entered the United States. No one shall board or leave the boat without first completing customs processing, unless permission to do so is granted by the CBP Officer in charge.

The CFR(code of federal regulations) also says if you make contact with a hovering vessel you have entered.
19 CFR 4.2 - Reports of arrival of vessels. | LII / Legal Information Institute
(b) For purposes of this part, “foreign port or place” includes a hovering vessel,
I appreciate that info. Thank you.
Razoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 08:38   #21
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

Well I chickened out on my test trip. Went for day sails instead.
It will happen soon and involve a trip to Friday Harbour. The plans are all made, the stars just have to align
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Canada, customs