Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2009, 17:33   #1

Boat: c&c landfall 43
Clearing In to Mexico

I am going on the baja haha and was wondering if any haha vets can run me thru what or if I can do in san diego as to paper work in advance to clearing into mexico. Is there any paper work that the haha organizers do us? can I do all the paper work in san diego? is the first port of call turtle bay or cabo? thanks in advance. limmer
limmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 20:33   #2

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
It's been ten years since I did this. Check with Downwind Marine Store and they can direct you to the whole thing. Downwind is THE information source for all questions.
There is a business service that will do the whole thing for you at a very reasonible price. Besides visas and such for everyone on board you should buy Mexican liability insurance and a fishing license for everyone plus the boat and dinghy. If you're planning on staying longer than six months you may need to visit the Mexican Embassy.
Turtle Bay is a fishing town where the cannery closed 15 years ago from over-fishing, and there's not to much there. Cabo San Lucas will be your first experience with the local officials, good luck.
Like I said this was what I went through 10 years ago and, being Mexico the rules can and do change. So get the latest from Downwind.
regards John

ps. I'd thought I'd be singlehandling to Cabo and Richard frowns on singlehandlers sleeping amongst the haha fleet, so I went a week later.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2009, 05:39   #3

Boat: J40 #33 since 1987
The Baja HaHa guide at Baja Ha-Ha Cruisers Rally: Sailing from San Diego to Cabo San Lucas is current and goes through most of the clearing in procedure. The paperwork gets done in Mexico, although if you want to get a 10 year import permit for your boat you can also get it online at instruccionesIITV_type and have it delivered before you leave. Cabo San Lucas is your first Port of Entry, and you can either do the clearing in yourself or use one of the services that will take the paperwork around for you at a reasonable fee.
sded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2009, 15:59   #4

Boat: Cal39 MrkIII, 1982
Checking Into Mexico

sded gave a pretty complete answer to your question. Going on the Baja-ha-ha will mean that your first port of entry will be Cabo San Lucas. Even with the discount the ha-ha folks get at the marina there, you will find it expensive to stay. It might be worth staying over a night or two inorder to clear immigration (your first stop, if you're doing it yourself) and then the Port Captains Office (the stop after Immigration). You can pay your entry fee at the Port Captains Office by credit card, thus saving a trip back across town to the bank, but you must let them know in advance that you'd like to make payment by credit card before they begin processing your paperwork. The Port Captains office is open for 1/2 day on Saturdays, but they'll only handle clearing vessels out of the port, not entry.

You can also pay a fee to the local ships agent to do the paper work for you. If I recollect, people indicated the fee was around $100-$120 U.S., takes the agent a couple of hours to complete and allows you the freedom to relax after your last leg from Bahia Santa Maria.

You can either get your temporary import permit (TIP) on-line or in La Paz. The office in La Paz is located out near the ferry terminal (on the southeast corner of the terminal building). Bring all your ships papers with you (copies of each speed the process) to get your TIP.

You do need Mexican liability insurance. I'd recommend getting this before entering Mexico. As sded indicated, there is an enormous resource of information in the Baja-ha-ha paperwork you recieved, including where you can get insurance. There is also a great deal of useful information to be had at Down Wind Marine on Canon Street in San Diego. The also provide a Cruisers Guide to Mexico both at the store and on-line (http:\\Downwind Marine Inc).

There has been a change in fishing license requirements since John A has gone to Mexico. You no longer are required to get a license for the boat or dingy; everyone else on board is required to have a Mexican fishing license. It's probably easiest to get them when you're in San Diego at H&M Landing on Shelter Island (located on Scott Street). Otherwise, they can be purchased in Mexico, but like almost everything else, are more trouble (e.g., take more time and effort) to get.

One further consideration if you're planning to cruise the islands in the Sea of Cortez. Since many of these are now part of a National Park system, you'll be required to get a permit (either daily or yearly, depending on what your plans are) that allow you to visit these islands. These permits (along with fishing licenses, if you didn't already get them in San Diego) can be easily obtain at Marina de La Paz, in La Paz. The yearly passes are relatively inexpensive and help defray some of the expense of patrolling and maintaining these beautiful islands and anchorages.

I know you'll have a blast on the sweet sixteen of the ha-ha and will meet some great fellow cruisers and sailors. Be sure to get to know the Grand Poobah and Dona Maria on Profligate. They have a great job being able to do this each year, but do put in a great deal of time and effort to make sure it's a success. Anything you can do to help by volunteering your time would be well worthwhile. Fair winds and have fun!
neophytecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mexico