Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2016, 10:03   #31

Boat: Beneteau OC 41
Re: Clearing in to Canada on St Lawrence River

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mthier View Post
Sounds like a fantastic adventure ! I sailed from Lake Erie to Montreal last summer with stops in on both the US side and Canadian side . If you plan on sailing the northern part of the seaway " Canadian side " you will find a number of Marinas the Kingston, then off to Brockville the next day then on to Chrysler Marina etc.....that was a bit utilitarian as a trip just wanting to get home. From Kingston to Brockville 1000 Islands are exceptional ....beautiful with islands owned by Park Canada offering mooring etc....Gananoque may be a dinghy ride away for supplies etc...enough said just take time and enjoy that area because east of Brockville and east of the locks becomes quite industrial with a few exceptions .
As far as legalities are concerned if you are coming in from the US side and sailing / cruising on the Canadian side not a problem however if you drop anchor on Canadian soil or enter a Canadian Port you must contact US customs ,' phones are there waiting and if you have all your paperwork re : passport , passenger names, vessel registration etc....the process will be quick efficient easy. Just make sure you know what side of the river you will be using so that you don't have to spend your day speaking with either US or Canadian Customs all day .
Enjoy your adventure .
If your further East in Valleyfield Quebec don't hesitate writing I'll be able to help you out further
Mark
In the last few years, the process has become clear as mud in terms of whether or not non-Canadian cruisers need to check in with the CBSA. I attended a Q&A, hosted by U.S. and Canadian officials, last summer and there didn't appear to be much consensus even among officials from different agencies of the same government (US or Canada). Here's a CBSA link with the latest info (Travellers - Reporting requirements for private boaters). My understanding is that if you're not required to check in with CBSA then you don't need to check back in with US customs (I think, maybe). Good luck.
robgrant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 10:49   #32

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Clearing in to Canada on St Lawrence River

I'd think that technically speaking, if you haven't cleared into Canada, then you haven't actually left the USA. Therefore you shouldn't have to clear back in. But legal technicalities can get lost in the actual practice. Given the touchiness about border issues, it might be safer to always clear in if there is any possibility of confusion (by the border people).

Mother, thanks for the great info on the 1000 Islands and Montreal. We plan to pass through there in late June/early July as we make our way towards NFLD. Based on advice from others I've been planning to bypass Montreal b/c of issues with current. Our full keel, heavy displacement boat isn't fun in a current. But perhaps a stop at Valleyfield is order .

Tags
Canada, enc