Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2016, 09:03   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Clearing in to Canada on St Lawrence River

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
It would be a shame to go fast through the Thousand Islands. The beauty is marvelous, the history incredible, and the people on both sides absolutely lovely.

My suggestion: Cape Vincent municipal pier for a quiet view of the freighters, clear Canadian Customs in Kingston and enjoy a fine meal after visiting the maritime museum, then off to Gan to watch the sunset, cross back over to US territory to visit the Antique Boat Museum in Clayton, skip Alex Bay (sorry), then back to Canada at Brockville.

In those short miles there is so much to do- playhouses, waterfront dining, fishing, kayaking, exploring. Get a copy of Floating World http://www.amazon.com/Floating-World...=sr_1_1&sr=8-1 and explore the historic island homes with the dingy.
Are you saying that it is permitted to zig-zag US-Canada-etc without a check in each time? This somehow seems unlikely.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2016, 09:11   #17

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Are you saying that it is permitted to zig-zag US-Canada-etc without a check in each time? This somehow seems unlikely.
Checking in to each country is required if you anchor or dock. If you only pass through the other country's waters and do not stop, you won't need to report.

The 1000 islands are a very high traffic area, our governments have made it pretty easy to check in.
Dave Lochner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2016, 09:12   #18

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgrant1 View Post
Don't forget to stop in Clayton, just across from Gan. Brand new docks available and no crowds.
The city docks at Cape Vincent and Clayton are both free!
Easy walk to all services/food at both.
From Clayton, north by Quebec Head to Canada, the islands/Gan
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2016, 09:37   #19

Boat: Beneteau OC 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
The city docks at Cape Vincent and Clayton are both free!
Easy walk to all services/food at both.
From Clayton, north by Quebec Head to Canada, the islands/Gan
In Clayton, no services at the free dock. The new dock, near the Hotel (1000 Islands Harbor Hotel in Clayton NY | Hotel Near 1000 Islands region of New York) offers services, but is not free. If I find the rates, I'll pass them on.
robgrant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2016, 09:39   #20

Quote:
In Clayton, no services at the free dock. The new dock, near the Hotel (1000 Islands Harbor Hotel in Clayton NY | Hotel Near 1000 Islands region of New York) offers services, but is not free. If I find the rates, I'll pass them on.
The Village Dock and the DEC Dock at Cape Vincent are also free, however, there is no power or water at either dock. Space is available on a first come, first served basis.
Old 25-03-2016, 09:43   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lochner View Post
Checking in to each country is required if you anchor or dock. If you only pass through the other country's waters and do not stop, you won't need to report.

The 1000 islands are a very high traffic area, our governments have made it pretty easy to check in.
I'd qualify that statement, "If you only pass through the other country's waters and do not stop, you won't need to report." It used to be the case as least informally, but the CBSA has become quite prickly about cruisers who don't check in regardless of whether or not they land. This website summarizes the current enforcement policy Canadian Customs Requirements - Entering Canada by Boat (I think...maybe???).
Old 25-03-2016, 09:58   #22

Quote:
I'd qualify that statement, "If you only pass through the other country's waters and do not stop, you won't need to report." It used to be the case as least informally, but the CBSA has become quite prickly about cruisers who don't check in regardless of whether or not they land. This website summarizes the current enforcement policy Canadian Customs Requirements - Entering Canada by Boat (I think...maybe???).
On that website they say that "vessels in transit" between foreign ports you do not have to report. So long as you are in transit you are OK. For example if you leave Cape Vincent and head to Clayton, you may easily cross into Canadian waters while rounding Carleton Island. So long as you don't stop, you would be OK. Same with leaving CV and heading out into the lake. If you have to beat to windward, then you will cross the border, just don't stop.

A few years back there was an "international incident" when a US fisherman anchored in Canadian waters without reporting first. He had a Canadian fishing license, but got his boat impounded and a $1000 fine. Eventually the state departments got involved and worked it out, but it was ugly for a while.
Old 25-03-2016, 10:09   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lochner View Post
On that website they say that "vessels in transit" between foreign ports you do not have to report. So long as you are in transit you are OK. For example if you leave Cape Vincent and head to Clayton, you may easily cross into Canadian waters while rounding Carleton Island. So long as you don't stop, you would be OK. Same with leaving CV and heading out into the lake. If you have to beat to windward, then you will cross the border, just don't stop.

A few years back there was an "international incident" when a US fisherman anchored in Canadian waters without reporting first. He had a Canadian fishing license, but got his boat impounded and a $1000 fine. Eventually the state departments got involved and worked it out, but it was ugly for a while.
Yes, I remember the incident. A summer or two ago, I attended an information session on the subject. In attendance were all branches of US and Canadian border officials; believe me, it was clear as mud. Note the excerpt regarding the route being the most expeditious:

"The shortest and most direct route in this case would have you entering Canadian waters. In this case you are "in transit" and not required to report your entry. Entering Canadian waters for any other reason requires that you report to Canadian Customs."
Old 25-03-2016, 10:16   #24

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
The nice thing about Clayton is that you can visit town, then anchor in the bay right there...very good anchorage, lots of space, clean swimming water. I've spent many a pleasant night there after visiting town. Big grocery store too.

You can anchor in Cape vincent, but its weedy, and I'm told there are cars and other anchor eaters down there. There's a public library with free use computers to surf the web, check email, weather, etc. Very friendly people.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2016, 10:33   #25

This link entitled: Reporting requirements for private boaters

Travellers - Reporting requirements for private boaters

spells it out pretty well (IMHO) for cases like yours. It mentions weaving in and out of Canadian waters and there are phone numbers at the bottom.

Another thing to consider is firearms on board. We are sticklers about those things.
yahtzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2016, 11:20   #26

Many years ago I left SYC near Cornwall On Ca and anchored behind an island on the Canadian side of the dotted line. LOL, looking towards a beach near Massena NY. I am a Canadian in my waters.
I had a hell of a time showing the US coasties a chart and explaining to them that they were on the wrong side of the dotted line.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2016, 11:30   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaramanga F25 View Post
Many years ago I left SYC near Cornwall On Ca and anchored behind an island on the Canadian side of the dotted line. LOL, looking towards a beach near Massena NY. I am a Canadian in my waters.
I had a hell of a time showing the US coasties a chart and explaining to them that they were on the wrong side of the dotted line.
It's easy to get confused about which country you are in. A few years ago after an intimate encounter with an unfriendly rock pile on the Canadian side of the channel. The US Coasties arrived and boarded. While they were inspecting for damage, head discharge and safety gear, the boarding party was quite clear that I should stay in the middle of the channel (and thus on the US side) and reported the incident as happening near a US island and not the Canadian island that I had unceremoniously encountered.
Old 25-03-2016, 11:37   #28
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Check in at any harbour by calling 1-888-CAN-PASS. Never had a problem using a cell phone. Have done it at least 100 times and only used a land line a few times.
Old 29-03-2016, 17:02   #29

Here's the site for new docks at Clayton in case you end up visiting us:

Transient Dock Facility | Town of Clayton, NY
Old 31-05-2016, 08:09   #30

Sounds like a fantastic adventure ! I sailed from Lake Erie to Montreal last summer with stops in on both the US side and Canadian side . If you plan on sailing the northern part of the seaway " Canadian side " you will find a number of Marinas the Kingston, then off to Brockville the next day then on to Chrysler Marina etc.....that was a bit utilitarian as a trip just wanting to get home. From Kingston to Brockville 1000 Islands are exceptional ....beautiful with islands owned by Park Canada offering mooring etc....Gananoque may be a dinghy ride away for supplies etc...enough said just take time and enjoy that area because east of Brockville and east of the locks becomes quite industrial with a few exceptions .
As far as legalities are concerned if you are coming in from the US side and sailing / cruising on the Canadian side not a problem however if you drop anchor on Canadian soil or enter a Canadian Port you must contact US customs ,' phones are there waiting and if you have all your paperwork re : passport , passenger names, vessel registration etc....the process will be quick efficient easy. Just make sure you know what side of the river you will be using so that you don't have to spend your day speaking with either US or Canadian Customs all day .
Enjoy your adventure .
If your further East in Valleyfield Quebec don't hesitate writing I'll be able to help you out further
Mark
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne.b View Post
We're planning on doing the Down East Loop this summer, going east on the St Lawrence River from the US side of Lake Ontario.

It looks like the best Port of Entry for clearing in to Canada would be Brockville, ON. Can anyone confirm this, and/or advise on the correct procedures to follow? Can it all be done from any telephone or are there special "clearing in" phones?

Thanks in advance.
Mthier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Canada, enc