Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 28-07-2011, 21:03   #16

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Re: Clearing In / Out

Every where in the French world the good ol' US of A is called Etat Unis. The skipper can check in but if the owner is aboard, the skipper should have a Letter of Permission signed by the owner and outlining the dates between which the Letter is valid. Good idea to have a bunch of blank copies aboard. Skipper brings passports of everyone aboard and crew list to immigration for clearance. Officials may want to visit the vessel in some countries, like the US.
Good idea to check procedures before you arrive. In Mexico, you may need to repeat the procedure in each port. No drama... Capt Phil

Old 29-07-2011, 03:56   #17

Boat: Gib sea 43

you can escape the rat race but never bureaucracy!

Old 29-07-2011, 04:23   #18

Location: from Houston, TX; currently berthed in Barcelona, headed west
Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

It is not unusual for a country to require each person aboard to personally appear for clearance. The days of allowing the captain to handle clearance for everyone are dying. In today's world many authorities want to physically see each person and confirm they match the passport presented.

Judy
S/V BeBe
Old 29-07-2011, 06:05   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post
It is not unusual for a country to require each person aboard to personally appear for clearance. . . .
Be careful to check with Noonsite.com or other reasonably accurate source of information on a country's Customs/Immigration policies first.
- - If anybody besides the vessel's Captain steps off the vessel onto land in the island of Antigua you are looking as a massive fine.
- - "Captain only" is the historical procedure and is the safest or least expensive way to handle the check-in procedures unless you have good information that some other procedure is in effect.
- - Each country has its own specific procedures and takes them seriously. You can get into a world of hurt or at least your wallet can, if you do not know what is the correct procedure. This is where Cruising Guides are very useful along with checking sources like Noonsite.com to find out what is expected.
Old 29-07-2011, 06:35   #20
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiffyLube View Post
Who is the Captain between a married couple that equally share ownership?
What I did with Nicolle (we wern't married) was put her on the Registration as Master, along with me.

The idea for that was if I became incapacitated, away, jail etc she would still be able to move the boat.
In some countries where women are not respected I thought it may well come in handy.
Certainly when we did the Suez Canal in our log book we were worried about the pilot trying to make us go too fast and for their often attitude to women. So we put it in the logbook and made the Pilot sign it under the pretext of how pleased we were to have him about and its was the correct 'official' thing to do when a pilot comes aboard.

As you see below we took a photo of him signing too!

Were we paranoid?

Perhaps. But in areas like that you can never be too careful. Smile a lot as you record the evidence!

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5731.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	30017   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07757am.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	192.0 KB
ID:	30018  

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2011, 07:03   #21

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

In our cruise to the caribbean ending this past May we never once had a Customs officer from any country board the boat or want to see anyone but the captain until we got back to the USA. They usually didn't even look out into the harbor to see if there actually was a boat corresponding to the documents. They did care that the same number of people left their country as entered but they accepted printouts of airline reservations as proof of that in cases where we changed crew. There were often quite a few documents to fill out but the main thing seemed to be for us to pay the fees they required. As noted above, French islands were very easy, even where there were a lot of people checking in and out, but there too they didnt even try to verify that papers matched boats or people, or even that there WERE boats or people.
Old 29-07-2011, 09:57   #22

Good advice, osirisail... not only do countries differ in their entry procedures, they do change from time to time. One thing that has always worked well for me is to be well groomed, clean and polite. A number of times it put me at the front of the line, particularly if I was wearing my bars and cover.
Old 30-07-2011, 10:06   #23

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

"well groomed, clean and polite"

polite is easy. well groomed and clean is a bit of a challenge after a long passage
Old 30-07-2011, 10:23   #24
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

well groomed after a passage is not that difficult--i keep a clean and dry set of proper clothing--yes, is shorts and a camisole top with a tank top over it-- is neat and clean for customs and port captain and immigration..... is easy to do that--and comb hair---mebbe wash face, if i have enough water left....
only place i wasnt able was cedros, but the port cpt came to me-- seems i was parked in the military use dock.... they were very nice and kept an eye out for me and on me-- they liked bubba a lot--- we were out in 4 days. everyone was nice and friendly and helpful.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2011, 11:01   #25

Zee has it right... (again!)... all it takes is a bit of effort and in places like Mexico, Port Captains recognize this and appreciate the extra effort cruisers go to to look presentable. It shows that you respect their office and authority, very important in their culture.
You are dead right, sck5, it is a challenge to 'spruce up' for meeting officials... my point was that it is recognized, appreciated and sets you apart from many who chafe at the thought of acknowledging authority or just can't be bothered.
This is just one of the cultural differences between the US and other countries IMO... Capt Phil
Old 30-07-2011, 11:08   #26
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

ye dont have to braid the beard--just comb it a tad--if is all over the place it looks a lil druggy in this era....bathing suits are frowned upon in many places, so in bvi , i wore a sundress. over the bathing suit..LOL. is easy to become presentable from mayhemosis.
oh yes--brush teeth--you will be close-- face to face-- with gentry.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 07:51   #27

Boat: 1985 Nonsuch 30 Ultra - acquired Sep 2015

Recently spent 1 hr 30 minutes waiting to clear immigration before I got to customs. Had the forms all filled out even before I got into the long lineup. Location? Ft Lauderdale.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:23   #28

Boat: Bristol 45.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post
It is not unusual for a country to require each person aboard to personally appear for clearance. The days of allowing the captain to handle clearance for everyone are dying. In today's world many authorities want to physically see each person and confirm they match the passport presented.

Judy
S/V BeBe
That has not been our experience in Eastern Caribbean, bits of Latin America, and South Pacfific. In all these places it was captain only. I seem to remember in Bermuda that it was everyone (but you are tied to a customs dock 30 sec from the office) and it is everyone in the US.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:26   #29

Boat: Bristol 45.5

Latin American countries want the captain (male typically) to be in long pants - shorts are considered a bit of an insult to officialdom. I think the answer is that there is no one answer. You must adapt to each country.
Old 29-03-2012, 13:33   #30

Boat: Lagoon 410

Is there an official immigration form for the Bahamas we can get and fill out prior to arrival? I read about it somewhere but when I called the consolates they had no idea what I was talking about.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: