Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2016, 12:23   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: VZ 16
Clearance in Cuba

Dear Sailors,

I am on my way to Cuba and I have just been informed that I can do check in and clearance in specific ports of Cuba. I would be cruising from Puerto Rico throught Dominican Rep., Haiti to Havana. I am cruising power boat so diesel is very important thing for me. I have found in 2 cruising guides that I can buy diesel and do check in in Baracoa, east end of Cuba. That place is perfect for me to prepare for rest of my trip but just recived info from one of sailors that the closests port for me would be Puerto de Vita. Can you confirm that for me or give me some info how to do that in Baracoa ?

Regards
Jack_Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 12:58   #2

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852
Re: Clearance in Cuba

Your first port of entry on the north coast is Puerto de vita. You can not stop anywhere before that. A lot of rules can be bent in Cuba but that's not one of them.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1465243113.306756.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	125655

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 17:06   #3

Boat: 42' Colvin Gazelle

Diesel is usually available in Puerto de Vita. Formalities are not difficult, just time consuming. They are friendly, but take their paperwork very seriously. You will not step off the boat, not even to put a line on the dock until the doctor gives you pratique. On arriving, leave the last bouy to port as you make the right turn towards the marina or you will come to an abrupt stop:-). You may not want to admit to arriving from Haiti, they are absolutely paranoid about anyone arriving from there with cholera. Two years ago this was a big issue, I don't know if it still is.

Sent from my K013 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Sailormantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 19:08   #4

Boat: Van de Stadt 44 #393 Aluminium

I only docked in Marina Gaviota in Varadero and travelled around mostly by car. So don't know where would be your entry port.

We came from Nassau, so chosen Varadero do dock. I heard other cruisers sailed around areas supposedly not open for cruising and there is not much control, but would recommend checking in before and maybe bringing a local who can tell you where to go, specially if interested in fishing.

We were very welcomed by the doctor and customs officials, as well as very well cared by all staff at Marina Gaviota. Diesel, water and food supplies available there. I didn't shop for parts or any maintenance related products there, but would guess it may be more of an issue. Professional services are widely available f you need to, although I didn't use anything.

25 USD for the visa may be paid at arrival.
gtpinhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 12:01   #5
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave852 View Post
Your first port of entry on the north coast is Puerto de vita. You can not stop anywhere before that. A lot of rules can be bent in Cuba but that's not one of them.Attachment 125655

You are another person that tells me this bad news :/ What do you suggest for me to get to Puerto de Vita ( this place would be out of my range with my diesel tank )
Old 08-06-2016, 12:05   #6
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpinhei View Post
I only docked in Marina Gaviota in Varadero and travelled around mostly by car. So don't know where would be your entry port.

We came from Nassau, so chosen Varadero do dock. I heard other cruisers sailed around areas supposedly not open for cruising and there is not much control, but would recommend checking in before and maybe bringing a local who can tell you where to go, specially if interested in fishing.

We were very welcomed by the doctor and customs officials, as well as very well cared by all staff at Marina Gaviota. Diesel, water and food supplies available there. I didn't shop for parts or any maintenance related products there, but would guess it may be more of an issue. Professional services are widely available f you need to, although I didn't use anything.

25 USD for the visa may be paid at arrival.

Can I inform Baracoa by phone that I am running out of diesel and I need to take diesel from them?

Can I do check in other way them regular way?
Old 08-06-2016, 12:17   #7
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave852 View Post
Your first port of entry on the north coast is Puerto de vita. You can not stop anywhere before that. A lot of rules can be bent in Cuba but that's not one of them.Attachment 125655

Can I buy a diesel without a clearance in Baracoa?
Old 08-06-2016, 17:50   #8

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852

It's not that far, have you considered extra tanks or going slower?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 20:45   #9

Boat: Van de Stadt 44 #393 Aluminium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Sparrow View Post
Can I inform Baracoa by phone that I am running out of diesel and I need to take diesel from them?

Can I do check in other way them regular way?
Best would be getting some sails ;-)

Call Havanatur and verify with them. They are very helpful.

Cheers
gtpinhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 13:45   #10
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpinhei View Post
Best would be getting some sails ;-)

Call Havanatur and verify with them. They are very helpful.

Cheers
Would be bit hard with sails but will think about that

I will call them thanks

Tags
Cuba