Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2013, 07:20   #151

Boat: Seinar Fleet Systems TIE Fighter (Advanced x1)
Re: Civil Rights Attorney Needed Marathon FL

So, one FWC boat harasses the boaters at night? Strength in numbers my Boot Key friends. Organize yourselves to monitor the FWC and it's nightly rounds. Maintain VHF communication between yourselves to alert the harbor of its presence. Even a hailer, air horn, or conch would suffice. Once he lights up a boat, he too can be lit up in return, from every angle and from every boat. Getting blinded from multiple angles will force the operator to come to a complete stop for safety. And if the agent does board, continue to illuminate the boarded vessel and FWC boat - for support and to ensure there are no "miscommunications" while aboard. I also recommend that those boarded display their defiance if front of the agent by being completely naked. That's right, in your birthday suit. The whole crew if possible, understandably if children are aboard, this may not be possible. It's your home, you can dress as you please... I could go on with endless forms of civil disobedience, but you get the idea. Have fun coming up with your own!
440sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:28   #152

How quickly those in the Keys forget the heavy handed and oppressive tactics used by the federal government. Do you even remember how the Conch Republic came to be? Do yourself a favor and refresh your memory. And learn.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:36   #153

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,
Quote:
Originally Posted by 440sailor View Post
So, one FWC boat harasses the boaters at night? Strength in numbers my Boot Key friends. Organize yourselves to monitor the FWC and it's nightly rounds. Maintain VHF communication between yourselves to alert the harbor of its presence. Even a hailer, air horn, or conch would suffice. Once he lights up a boat, he too can be lit up in return, from every angle and from every boat. Getting blinded from multiple angles will force the operator to come to a complete stop for safety. And if the agent does board, continue to illuminate the boarded vessel and FWC boat - for support and to ensure there are no "miscommunications" while aboard. I also recommend that those boarded display their defiance if front of the agent by being completely naked. That's right, in your birthday suit. The whole crew if possible, understandably if children are aboard, this may not be possible. It's your home, you can dress as you please... I could go on with endless forms of civil disobedience, but you get the idea. Have fun coming up with your own!
:-) :-)
And after that one wonders why the European consider us American as overgrown kids.... :-)
Old 10-12-2013, 07:45   #154

Ahh, but if you can't make fun of the absurd with the absurd, then you may not be alive... That's what makes us Americans. Besides I've seen Brits. French, Germans, Italians, etc do things even crazier. Does it make it right? Maybe, maybe not. But as Americans IN the US, we're allowed to freely express ourselves. Try it sometime, the Constitution will thank you.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:21   #155
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Civil Rights Attorney Needed Marathon FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Believe me! if there moorings are almost empty, and the ancorage is mostly empty, the Idea will get across to the shoreside money makers !! and this style of law inforcement will be discontinued!! Money talks and it will make a change real quick!! The only way to fix this is through media and lack of money being spent by cruisers!! Again why put up with this stuff when theres other places to moor or anchor!! Ive been anchoring for a long time, and if I don't like a place I move!! I don't feel I need to fight the good fight !! If everybody but the liveaboards left, they would have a lot less to do and maybe the folks at the top will get the idea that we are Mobil and we can leave and not return till something gets done to cure this problem !!
+A1...
Work to rule/Boycott tactics can work and are often surprisingly effective... only problem is getting folk to think outside themselves and instead for the greater good..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 16:04   #156

Boat: Lagoon 37

This is the response from the FWC. If more of us contact them it may have an effect!!!
http://myfwc.com/contact/fwc-staff/report-misconduct/

Dear Mr. and Mrs. Deranek:

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) Office of Inspector General (OIG) received your email concerning FWC officers in Marathon, i.e. harassing boaters in Boot Key Harbor. We will look into the allegations and inform you of the outcome.

Sincerely,

Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission
Office of Inspector General
620 S. Meridian Street
Tallahassee, FL 32399-1600
(850)488-6068 (office)
(850)488-6414 (FAX)
https://www.sailblogs.com/member/svjusdreaming/
"The only way to get a good crew is to marry one." -Eric Hiscock
JusDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 16:13   #157

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Great Denny,

If more of those in Boot Key write it might get some action.
Old 10-12-2013, 16:40   #158

Boat: Catalina 30

Nice to hear you got a response. Should be interesting to see what their investigation leads to. Hopefully you can get more boaters from boot key to submit complaints and get something done.
Old 10-12-2013, 17:11   #159

Boat: 1978 Marine Trader 36

The fwc has agreed to a meeting at the marina on the evening of the 18th. We will all be there. Should be an interesting night. I believe that a great deal of the problem is new young officers. They wrote one guy a warning for not having an anchor light on his dingy that was tied to his anchored boat with a six foot line. (His sailboat did have an anchor light) It really has reached the point of supidity. We are paid up till the 2nd, thinking of leaing then and spend the rest of the season in Islamarada.
Old 10-12-2013, 17:32   #160

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by READY2GO View Post
The fwc has agreed to a meeting at the marina on the evening of the 18th. We will all be there. Should be an interesting night. I believe that a great deal of the problem is new young officers. They wrote one guy a warning for not having an anchor light on his dingy that was tied to his anchored boat with a six foot line. (His sailboat did have an anchor light) It really has reached the point of supidity. We are paid up till the 2nd, thinking of leaing then and spend the rest of the season in Islamarada.
Really sad and ridiculous if this is the case. Good luck with the meeting. Hope you get a good turnout.
Old 10-12-2013, 17:37   #161
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom30 View Post
I tend to agree, and am contemplating skipping Marathon later this month, but that means giving in to these tactics, and setting a precedence to be used in the next mooring field, until there is no place left.

Quite a dilemma.
A dilemma indeed. Every time another cruiser skips Marathon, the FWC wins another victory.
Old 10-12-2013, 18:15   #162

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecadi View Post
What are your sources?
I think you are misinformed
For example
Norway 0.6 for 100 000 inhabitants
France 1.1 for 100 000
Germany 0.8

Etc..

The USA is at 4.4

So around 4 to 5 times higher than in Europe.

But this is not the topic of this thread.
See thread for link to the study, http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...usa-95921.html
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 19:33   #163
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

That study was highly discredited in that thread both on statistical information and relevance to this forum.

Coops.
Old 11-12-2013, 20:37   #164

Boat: Westerly Centaur. 26'
Send a message via Skype™ to familycruisers

Spoke with Sean from the municipal marina. He was speaking with the fwc captain. He stated the spotlights were just used for navigation. I asked "through anchorages? He stated " to see anchor lines and such"
We had planned to go to Marathon. Up in the air now. Maybe just head to the islands instead.
familycruisers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 00:31   #165

Boat: Mac 26X

Quote:
Originally Posted by READY2GO View Post
The fwc has agreed to a meeting at the marina on the evening of the 18th. We will all be there. Should be an interesting night.
NOW you're getting somewhere! I expect you'll have a good meeting, concerns will be aired, and a resolution will be reached. Then coffee will be drunk and the discussion will turn to fishing.

This assuming the folks who use terms like "Jack Booted Thugs" and other childish phrases and actually believe the majority of law enforcement personnel are personally out to get them stay away!

I have a propensity to come into contact with the law, usually for negative reasons (speeding, head light out, boat not "technically" lit correctly, registration expired, falling asleep at the wheel, a guy hit my car in my driveway, a solicitor wouldn't leave my property, witnessed a hit and run, reported a drunk driver, wife ran a red light....and that's just the last couple of years! And DOEN'T include those I deal with in my job as a pediatric burn ICU nurse) and I've met ONE...yes ONE disrespectful officer. One in 45 years of life. And HE was reined in by his own partner. AND I was dead wrong and busted in that situation. So when anyone says they see these bad cops all the time...I call BS! I suspect at least one of these guys in this thread believe the CIA killed Kennedy and 9/11 was a government plot.