Join CruisersForum Today

Old 09-05-2010, 15:30   #46
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
Ummm, lets get back on track, eh?

gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 05:21   #47

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
You're right,of course, a discussion of the Civil War riots in NYC has nothing to do with cruising, but the whole topic and indeed history itself is so fascinating it's hard not to go down that road. Oh well, back to chipping.

lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:16   #48

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Back on track? You think your original quesiton hasn't been asked and answered to the fullest extent? You think there are still some possible alternatives, options, and caveats to be found?

Aside from buying your own training drug sniffing dog, and then either making it permanent crew or reselling it after you've done the strip-search of the boat?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:44   #49

Boat: 1982 Oday 34
Ok, I worked the crime and fire beat in Houston for almost five years. You guys are seriously paranoid. Call your local law enforcement agency, tell them your situation, and they'll be happy to help you if they have the time and resources. If they don't have the resources to send a dog out, at least it's on record that you called about it should something ever turn up later.

We had this exact issue occur at one of the high schools in the area I was covering. A kid buys a car. A week later in the school parking lot, the drug dog alerts on the car. They found a spent joint matted into the carpet under the floor mat. Because the schools had a zero-tolerance policy, the student was expelled. However, he was an honor student and it was finally proven that the joint pre-dated the sale of the car.

Personally, I would just do a thorough search and cleaning of the boat, but as forgetful as stoners can be, they never seem to forget their weed.
Jetexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:16   #50

Boat: 1970 Albin Vega 27
I agree with Jet. Cops are not out to screw you everywhere. But if you want to be absolutely sure there's no stuff in your boat and you don't trust the man to check it out for you, the answer is simple: Buy a brand new boat.
RedBellies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:26   #51

Boat: 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby" Catalina 22 and 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II"
Well, you know.......
<what was i gonna say...?>
<oh yeah>
You know... I never forgot my weed, Ever. But forgot my papers mom found 'em.
And there was this guy.... that forgot his joint behind his ear, you know?
And he got popped! That was a drag....
Yeah Yeah ....I ... I saw him on the tube, man.
Yeah...right down there....
Joint Behind Ear Video
"Behind every great man there is a woman, rolling her eyes."
But not for long! Now she's gone!
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 13:01   #52
Armchair Bucketeer

Originally Posted by RedBellies View Post
the answer is simple: Buy a brand new boat.
And just hope none of the builders had a lazy friday

Of course I would be more worried about smugglers attaching a package to my keel as I go cross border - over here was quite popular for a while for packages to be attached to the underside of vehicles returning by Ferry...........devious b#ggers are smugglers
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 13:27   #53

Boat: 52' Irwin Ketch
You guys MUST have something better to do than guess at this 1 in a million sceanario.
waterworldly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 16:54   #54
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat
I think if you ask an authority, they would do it, depending on the country. But there will be a charge.

barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 12:33   #55

Boat: Sundance 23
Remind me never to go to Dubai. And, I'll never sail to Arizona.

Don't want to have to wear pink undies, eat bread and water, and live outside in a tent at Joe's jail.

Hmm, I'm going to take a better look inside the boat, especially under the v-berth. The guy I purchased the boat from is in his 70's, but ....
inSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 14:12   #56
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
What you really don't want is the boat to be on a DEA drug watch list. A long time ago, when we were in SoPac, there was big sailboat that had been owned by a high profile drug importer. The DEA hadn't busted the boat but they did bust the previous owner. The boat, however, had been on an international drug watch list. The new owners went through hell several times checking into a new country. Had the boat totally tossed in Mexico and Tahiti and had their freedom of movement restricted and they were closely watched. Didn't hear what their experience was as they continued their cruise west. They were so bummed by the problems that the boat brought on them that they were seriously considering selling it. Apparently once on a drug watch list, a boat is almost impossible to get off the list. You should be able to have the boat checked to see if it's on anyone's watch list.

Druggies may forget their paraphenalia, they seldom forget their drugs. I wouldn't be all that paranoid. If you are worried about problems with the police on a drug dog search, hire a local criminal defense attorney who handles drug offenses. He'll know his way around the local Narc squad and will be able to act as an intermediary for a small fee, small for an attorney, that is.

roverhi is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: