Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2012, 20:17   #1

Boat: csy 37
Changes to Bahamas Entry Fee

the entry fee to the bahamas has been modified. previously boats 35 feet and under were $150, over that were $300.

the new rule is boat 30 feet and under are $150, over 30 feet $300.

the charge is for crew up to 3 people - over that there is a $25 per crew charge. the info on the page seems to imply that the charge is for a stay of up to 12 months, although i've never asked for or received a stay for that long.

i'm not complaining. i think that at $300 it's still a bargain. i just heard that disneyworld or one of those parks is now $88 per person per day....

Customs & Immigration - Vacation Planning | The Bahamas
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 20:42   #2

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Re: Changes to Bahamas entry fee

Thanks for the update. One of my boats is a 32-footer, so that will affect me. Good to know.

My first time clearing in the fee was $20.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 21:21   #3
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

It has changed again, look for a thread called "Bimini Bound"
Old 02-06-2012, 05:38   #4
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

well, I'm very curious how this works. We just cleared in at West End, GBI on Thursday. I was under the impression that the $ 300 was for a one year cruising permit. But I see that the officer wrote down we can stay for 60 days. What's up with that? Why say it's a one year cruising permit if you have to leave in two months?

That also makes it $ 150 per month, not $ 300 per year.

Does anyone know how this all fits together? We're taking our new-to-us boat down to the TCI, and had planned to spend a lot of time in the Bahamas over the next couple of years. $ 150 per month isn't bad, if you like spear fishing. Which I do.

But would love to know how all this relates. It's confusing.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:12   #5

Boat: Privilege 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
well, I'm very curious how this works. We just cleared in at West End, GBI on Thursday. I was under the impression that the $ 300 was for a one year cruising permit. But I see that the officer wrote down we can stay for 60 days. What's up with that? Why say it's a one year cruising permit if you have to leave in two months?

That also makes it $ 150 per month, not $ 300 per year.

Does anyone know how this all fits together? We're taking our new-to-us boat down to the TCI, and had planned to spend a lot of time in the Bahamas over the next couple of years. $ 150 per month isn't bad, if you like spear fishing. Which I do.

But would love to know how all this relates. It's confusing.
Canibul, Your 60 day stay may be extended, but it will require another visit to customs at any of the port of entries. The initial stay given by immigration sometimes varies by individual officer. Some give 30 days and others give 180 days. I've heard that they may standardize the initial approval to 120 days next year, but who knows if it will happen.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:14   #6

Also you can leave and if you return within 90 days, you still enter under you original cruising permit.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:19   #7

Boat: Buying Jun 2012

How is the charge settled? Cash, Credit Card?
F15EWSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:20   #8

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post

The boat and you are two different things. The boat comes under Customs and you come under Immigration. In the last year they have combined the functions in one officer. Before this a customs officer and an immigration officer were needed to clear in. When they combined the functions most officials were given authority to allow you in for 60 days although some still have authority to grant up to 6 months. The boat can stay a year. The 60 days can be extended by visiting Immigration shortly prior to the end of the 60 days. It's a pita but that's the Bahamas sometimes. Cruisers have discussed this with the authorities in Nassau and they say they are looking into it.

There is also a provision for the boat leaving the Bahamas and returning during the one year period without paying an additional cruising permit fee.

If you're a masochist try and wade through this.
Home - Government
Old 02-06-2012, 06:56   #9

Boat: Hunter Legend 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
the entry fee to the bahamas has been modified. previously boats 35 feet and under were $150, over that were $300.

the new rule is boat 30 feet and under are $150, over 30 feet $300.

the charge is for crew up to 3 people - over that there is a $25 per crew charge. the info on the page seems to imply that the charge is for a stay of up to 12 months, although i've never asked for or received a stay for that long.

i'm not complaining. i think that at $300 it's still a bargain. i just heard that disneyworld or one of those parks is now $88 per person per day....

Customs & Immigration - Vacation Planning | The Bahamas
Shouldn't have to pay anywhere to anchor in the ocean.

I'm wet nurse to a last place dead to the neck up ball club and I'm choking to death.
gpshephe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:02   #10

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Quote:
Originally Posted by F15EWSO View Post
How is the charge settled? Cash, Credit Card?

Cash only, as of a couple years ago. Maybe they've since modernized to offer credit card processing. You can email the customs office in Nassau to ask.

Bahamas Customs Department
Old NIB Building, P.O. Box N-155, Nassau, Bahamas
Tel:+242 326 4401-6 / +242 325 6551-4
www.bahamas.gov.bs, cofolle@batelnet.bs

or:
CUSTOMS DEPARTMENT
CUSTOMS HOUSE
THOMPSON BLVD.
P. O. Box N 155
NASSAU, BAHAMAS
customs@bahamas.gov.bs
The Government of The Bahamas
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:13   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
Cash only, as of a couple years ago. Maybe they've since modernized to offer credit card processing. You can email the customs office in Nassau to ask.
It's still cash only and it's one of the few places where you'll see carbon paper. A lot of forms to fill out and all the officers carry carbon paper. No carbon loaded forms.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:32   #12

Boat: Hunter Legend 40
Re: Changes to Bahamas Entry Fee

In a way I'm glad I don't live in the East coast. Seems like the big sailing spots there cost a lot of money. All the islands in the Greater and lesser Antilles ( with the exception of USVI I would assume ) each has fees and customs for visiting. If one were to travel the length ( down to Grenada ) I can imagine being cash poor by the end of the trip. I've been there on a cruise ship, but never on my own boat. Someone who has done this can chime in. I would love to be proven wrong.

I'm wet nurse to a last place dead to the neck up ball club and I'm choking to death.
gpshephe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:59   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshephe View Post
In a way I'm glad I don't live in the East coast. Seems like the big sailing spots there cost a lot of money. All the islands in the Greater and lesser Antilles ( with the exception of USVI I would assume ) each has fees and customs for visiting. If one were to travel the length ( down to Grenada ) I can imagine being cash poor by the end of the trip. I've been there on a cruise ship, but never on my own boat. Someone who has done this can chime in. I would love to be proven wrong.

Go to Noonsite: The global site for cruising sailors and you can get an idea how much it'll cost. Most countries in the world charges (I think). Some even make you post a bond to make sure you're going to leave!! The best deal is between Canada and US, usually no charge.

By the way you'll be missing a lot of great sailing and pleasant people in different countries if you just stay in Portland. As for a cruise ship, you may not know it but all the fees were included in fare.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:40   #14

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Go to Noonsite: The global site for cruising sailors and you can get an idea how much it'll cost. Most countries in the world charges (I think). Some even make you post a bond to make sure you're going to leave!! The best deal is between Canada and US, usually no charge.

By the way you'll be missing a lot of great sailing and pleasant people in different countries if you just stay in Portland. As for a cruise ship, you may not know it but all the fees were included in fare.
Originally Posted by gpshephe "Shouldn't have to pay anywhere to anchor in the ocean. "

Maybe Portland is just fine till reality sets in...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:45   #15
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

gpshephe,

It'll cost you $11 to clear in to Nevis on your sailboat. For that, you get a Visitor's Visa good for up to 30 days.

Tags
Bahamas, bahamas