Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2011, 13:50   #1

Boat: Marples 44 Trimaran
CG Documentation Expired - Options?

Hey all - During an extensive (2 yr) repair/refit stay on the hard, we unfortunately allowed our CG documentation to expire.The boat was documented in our name from 2006 to 2010. Now, we are ready to head out, but must get the documentation renewed. The NVDC told us we had to resubmit an entire application. We have submitted the appropriate paperwork, but the NVDC tells us it will take at least a month (or more) before they can issue the document. The boat has never had (or required) state registration as we were cruising prior to the refit.

I read somewhere it is OK to operate the vessel while the documentation is in the renewal process provided the state registration is complete. With no state registration are we at risk of violation if we operate the vessel??? Anyone been penalized for expired, but in renewal documentation?

Grateful for any opinions.....

Cheers
Sunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2011, 13:54   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates
Re: CG Documentation Expired - Options?

leaving the USA??
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2011, 13:57   #3

Boat: Marples 44 Trimaran

In Mobile, heading for a West Coast of FL cruise - overseas is out for sure until the documentation is current and on the boat.
Sunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2011, 14:15   #4

Boat: TPI Lagoon 35ccc Catamaran designed by Morrelli & Melvin

USCG Documentation for privately owned vessels not engaged in trade is optional, as I understand it.

If you also have a valid state boat registration that should take care of cruising in the USA until you receive your USCG Documentation renewal.

Marshall
Old 30-04-2011, 14:18   #5

we got pulled over by homeland secruity just outside marathon and they boarded -- had to show our papers -- might be a bit of a problem with no papers -- and fla fish and game have no sense of humor - just looking for a way to fine you and take your money -- as for the cg - they are to busy sleeping to know anything - but if by some slim chance they board you it could be an issue
try to hustle it through
just my thoughts
chuck patty and svsoulmates
catamaran marina rio dulce guatemala leaving for bay isl in a few day
Old 30-04-2011, 15:03   #6

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Per the USCG Documentation Center

"RENEWAL OF CERTIFICATE OF DOCUMENTATION
"A Certificate of Documentation must be renewed on a yearly basis. The Coast Guard facilitates the renewal process by sending a notice of renewal (CG-1280) to the managing owner approximately 45 days prior to the expiration of the document. If there is no response to the Notice of Renewal a warning notice indicating that the document has expired is sent to the owner approximately 10 days after expiration. Operation of the vessel with an expired certificate may result in a penalty of up to $500.00 per day. There is no fee for the renewal of the certificate if it is accomplished prior to the expiration date. Though the Coast Guard sends notices regarding the renewal of the document, the ultimate responsibility of renewing a Certificate of Documentation rests with the owner. It is important to keep the National Vessel Documentation Center informed of any change of address to insure timely receipt of these renewal notices. Changes of address may be made by FAX (304) 271-2405 or by e-mail to: NVDCRenewals2@nvdc.uscg.mil

"If the Certificate of Documentation is not renewed within the time frames stated on the notices of renewal it must be re-issued which requires an Application for Documentation (CG-1258) and an $84.00 fee plus applicable endorsement fees, $29.00 for a coastwise or $12.00 for fishery. Applications, instructions and a complete fee schedule are available at this web site."

Old 30-04-2011, 16:15   #7

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest

I never operated without papers. NJ is one off those states that requires registration even if the boat is documented. I'm only exempt from having to put the registration numbers on the bow.

If I read the Alabama laws correctly the same would apply to you, if you're a resident.

Take a look at this, see the 1st exception though, I'm not sure what that means; If it's a CG number or not. If you plan on leaving Al. This might be what you need? Call the CG maybe the will issue a temporary number.

Boating in Alabama - Boat Registration
Old 30-04-2011, 16:33   #8
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

if you redocument will be 85 dollars to renew. goood luck and smooth sailing.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2011, 18:11   #9

Boat: 1962 28' Pearson Triton

On a different, but related topic -- what do you cruisers who are out of U.S. waters for several years do in regards to renewing the documentation? Have a friend receive the renewal notice, sign for you, and return?
1962 Pearson Triton, #318
Triton318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2011, 19:13   #10

triton -- when our registration is due it goes to my son who has power of attorney to sign - he then scans it and emails it to us - we then work on a way to get it to us where we will be - usually take a marina and have it sent via an express carrier that the marina recommends
hope this helps
chuck patty and svsoulmates
rio dulce guatemala
Old 30-04-2011, 20:19   #11

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak

Gosh, if you can get your Docs in one month, you have a lot of pull! We bought our boat the end of Sepiember, didn't get Docs until January...they were wrong, so another $84.00 first of Febuary and we're still waiting, probably another month!We're running mismatched registration and Docs and hoping they don't take the boat.
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2011, 21:08   #12

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

Finding this thread interesting since our documentation is very different from yours.
Old 30-04-2011, 21:30   #13

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

My boat was registered in California and when I refinanced it from a bank in the eastern US, they documented it with the CG. The CG notified the state of California who assesed a sales tax on the amount refinanced. It took a few very strongly worded letters and a copy of the original bill of sale to settle the matter in my favor.
Upon payment of the loan I sent a notice of final payment to the CG, the cg registration was changed to sole owner.

Have the renewal mailed to someone in the US who willl sign the form and return it as all the CG wants is verification that their sending the renewal to the owner. How the heck are they going to dispute the signature? Put your name and in care (cc) of the persons name and address and when they recieve it it can be shipped ti you.
Worked for me.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:03   #14
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

also done online----- but need a mailing address within the ability of usps to receive the original
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:53   #15

Boat: Island Packet 27, BLISS

My documentation expired because I forgot to change my mailing address and the notice of renewal was sent to the marina where my boat is at the moment. They held onto it for a long time before letting me know it had arrived. My fault, of course.

So I went online and paid the $5 late fee -- that's all I had to pay -- and the new copy is on its way to me by mail. BUT there is also an option there online to have it sent to you by fax.

Here's the link: USCG Late Payment for Documentation Link

Hope this helps. You can use this link up to 45 days after the date you were supposed to renew.

Rebecca
Gracias is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
documentation