Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2014, 10:45   #1
SFH
Registered User
 
SFH's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Danish
Boat: Jeanneau Yacht 53
Posts: 74
Send a message via Skype™ to SFH
Certificate of Competency for Leisure Yachts

Hi,

I have tried to Google for the answer with no luck.

What does UK Maritime Law say about the legal reqirements when it comes to Certificates of Competence for leisure yachts of various sizes sailing under the Red Ensign?

Is there a difference between UK registration, Channel Island, Gibraltar etc.?

Thanks

/Steen
__________________

__________________
SFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 11:01   #2
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,210
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Certificate of Competency for leisure yachts

The UK has no requirements for 'Competency Certificates' in Home Waters... they are only a necessity if you wish to visit foreign shores...
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 12:00   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Probably in an anchorage or a boatyard..
Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Posts: 3,538
Re: Certificate of Competency for leisure yachts

Rya site is as good a source as any..
http://www.rya.org.uk/infoadvice/reg...gulations.aspx

Basically under 13.7m you can pretty much do what you want

Sent from my SGP312 using Tapatalk
__________________
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 12:41   #4
Registered User
 
Hoofsmit's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: cornwall uk
Posts: 569
Re: Certificate of Competency for leisure yachts

From the RYA website


Therefore if your vessel is used within the legal definition of a pleasure vessel and is either less than 24m (load line) length or less than 80GT, there is no requirement for you to have a certificate of competence to skipper the vessel in UK territorial waters or on the high seas.
__________________
Hoofsmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 16:10   #5
Registered User
 
Zanshin's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Caribbean
Boat: Jeanneau 57
Posts: 1,621
Re: Certificate of Competency for leisure yachts

I am continually amazed by the British licensing rules. I sail my 60,000Lb boat under a British flag and need no license at all to pilot the boat; but I do need a SRC and LRC to legally operate the VHF and SSB radios aboard! Likewise when I flew gliders in the UK my overseas licenses weren't necessary, it was locally regulated and my certification was on written on the back of a beer coaster (for lack of a piece of paper at the time). I firmly believe that the British concept that each skipper is more responsible of his or her welfare and boat than some licensing government body is better than countries which require a slew of licenses to operate a boat (but whose licenses only mean that someone memorized rules and regulations but doesn't necessarily have any practical experience in operating said boat).

As an aside, the only sailing certification that is internationally (nay, globally) recognized is the RYA Yachtmaster program!
__________________
-Zanshin (SV Zanshin)
Zanshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 23:09   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Probably in an anchorage or a boatyard..
Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Posts: 3,538
Re: Certificate of Competency for leisure yachts

Luckily for us and barring a few idiots the accident rate is lower than many countries with compulsory licensing. So we will continue to be left alone to teach ourselves

Sent from my SGP312 using Tapatalk
__________________
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 14:24   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 3
Re: Certificate of Competency for leisure yachts

I'm in USA and got on the site looking for information about the ICC chestnut!

I'm still a bit bemused as to if when where and how the ICC is applicable and more particularly when and how it's enforced. Through all the comments no-one has suggested they were incarcerated, boat was impounded or anything save a bit of delay by an overly officious uniformed person.

Although I've chartered in BVI's before I don't have any sailing qualifications. We are only looking to charter for three weeks but I'd hate to get there and find it all a shambles. The two charter companies I've chatted with haven't helped much at all. In fact I'm more concerned AFTER speaking with them as all the information is conflicting and confusing.

So what are the present conditions and can I charter a yacht to sail the Dalmatian coast without a drama? Am I better to get the licence through RYA and avoid any problems? Any advice would be terrific. Thanks.
__________________
mjtoffshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 18:26   #8
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Re: Certificate of Competency for Leisure Yachts

ASA and US sailing certificates are fine for Croatia. You don't need an ICC.

Dave
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 18:30   #9
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Re: Certificate of Competency for leisure yachts

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Luckily for us and barring a few idiots the accident rate is lower than many countries with compulsory licensing. So we will continue to be left alone to teach ourselves

Sent from my SGP312 using Tapatalk

Where are these statistics you mention.

Dave
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 18:32   #10
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Re: Certificate of Competency for leisure yachts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
I am continually amazed by the British licensing rules. I sail my 60,000Lb boat under a British flag and need no license at all to pilot the boat; but I do need a SRC and LRC to legally operate the VHF and SSB radios aboard! Likewise when I flew gliders in the UK my overseas licenses weren't necessary, it was locally regulated and my certification was on written on the back of a beer coaster (for lack of a piece of paper at the time). I firmly believe that the British concept that each skipper is more responsible of his or her welfare and boat than some licensing government body is better than countries which require a slew of licenses to operate a boat (but whose licenses only mean that someone memorized rules and regulations but doesn't necessarily have any practical experience in operating said boat).

As an aside, the only sailing certification that is internationally (nay, globally) recognized is the RYA Yachtmaster program!

The UK retains radio licensing in order to remain part of the CEPT grouping.

There is no evidence to indicate one way or another whether licensing makes leisure boats safer.

Dave
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 23:43   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Probably in an anchorage or a boatyard..
Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Posts: 3,538
Re: Certificate of Competency for leisure yachts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Where are these statistics you mention.

Dave
Can't find the link now but there was a quiet government look into it a number of years ago, shame I can't find the link now, whatever the criteria was the UK had a lower accident rate than other countries with compulsory training, the level of self training was already very high.

Sent from my SGP312 using Tapatalk
__________________
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 02:24   #12
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Certificate of Competency for Leisure Yachts

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Can't find the link now but there was a quiet government look into it a number of years ago, shame I can't find the link now, whatever the criteria was the UK had a lower accident rate than other countries with compulsory training, the level of self training was already very high.

Sent from my SGP312 using Tapatalk

Have a read of http://upcommons.upc.edu/e-prints/bi...AN%20UNION.pdf

The UK examined leisure licensing in the context of enhanced drink boating laws being introduced. It concluded that the accident rate was low enough not to justify further licensing

There is no evidence that suggest the UK rate is lower then elsewhere as comparisons are very difficult. Figures show that accident rates, in the EU , run from about 0.5% to about 1.7% . ( call outs to emergency services ) of the countries estimated boating population. Hence the fact is, that licensing in the main does not seem to materially affect fallout statistics. It does t mean the UK is safer for not having licensing ( or more correctly , competency certification)

Partially, I suspect , this is because national schemes are to quite low standards, really being entry level ones. Most are well below the level of the ICC for example.


Dave
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 02:31   #13
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Certificate of Competency for Leisure Yachts

Here's some feedback from Norway , The worlds largest concentration of boats per head of population

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1393406978.236128.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	76805

Norway introduced compulsory certification in 2010 on larger leisure craft ( over 25hp) , the blue line is interesting , I leave it to the reader to draw conclusions as to the trend after 2010

By comparison and I quote
" The report, which uses data from the NWSF’s Water Incident Database (WAID), reveals that, as in previous years, the highest number of fatalities - 217 (52 per cent) - happened in inland waters such as rivers, canals, lakes, lochs, reservoirs and ponds. Nearly a quarter of fatalities - 94 (22 per cent) - happened at the coast or in a harbour, dock, marina or port, while an additional 73 deaths (17 per cent) happened out at sea. Twenty-four fatalities were the result of incidents in baths (including jacuzzis or hot-tubs), six in swimming pools and six in areas that are not usually watercourses, such as flooded areas."

So in a similar year , nearly 180 people died in Dock, coast or at sea in the UK

Dave
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 02:37   #14
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Probably in an anchorage or a boatyard..
Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Posts: 3,538
Re: Certificate of Competency for Leisure Yachts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Have a read of http://upcommons.upc.edu/e-prints/bi...AN%20UNION.pdf

The UK examined leisure licensing in the context of enhanced drink boating laws being introduced. It concluded that the accident rate was low enough not to justify further licensing

There is no evidence that suggest the UK rate is lower then elsewhere as comparisons are very difficult.
I did come across that one while hunting for the other link, so there's just no way of knowing either way.

"As a
result of this study, no uniformity at European Union in terms
of the requirements for sailing in pleasure boats can be
proven."


Sent from my SGP312 using Tapatalk
__________________
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 02:41   #15
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Certificate of Competency for Leisure Yachts

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
I did come across that one while hunting for the other link, so there's just no way of knowing either way.

"As a
result of this study, no uniformity at European Union in terms
of the requirements for sailing in pleasure boats can be
proven."


Sent from my SGP312 using Tapatalk

I've looked at comparisons of fatalities from Norway and the UK, the UKs estimated boating fleet is about 550,000 vessels, whereas Norway has about 880,000, yet UK fatalities are 5 times greater. !!!

Hence one can take no comfort or draw no real conclusions that the UK is any better because it has no certification. It's a dangerous self delusion based on a degree of smugness that is not borne out by facts, and such facts are difficult to compare accurately.

Dave
__________________

__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
enc, yacht

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Alpha 42 "Be Good Too" rescue 300 miles off Cape Henry Merged Cormorant Cruising News & Events 815 22-01-2017 21:15
Yachts in transit - new system for weather, blogging, diving, walking tracking sail-fish Navigation 13 22-05-2016 16:57
International Certificate of Competency PamlicoTraveler Europe & Mediterranean 33 22-11-2011 06:21



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 21:19.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.