Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2017, 05:16   #1

Boat: Hunter 37c
Canadians heading south on the ICW

Hello all!
Re: checking in with Homeland Security.
I am hearing that not all the phone numbers on my list (provided by HSBP) are valid or up-to-date.
I do not wish to be in contravention of any laws as I travel in the US. so I am asking that anyone who finds that a phone number they have been given is incorrect, to please post the new or correct phone number. I would also ask anyone who has been distressed by this process to post the location, type of incident, resolution of issue.
I am not looking for general complaints, I just want people to share information so fellow cruisers can know what to expect and where they need to be concerned.
Thank you to all who respond.
BobV.
nautitrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 06:59   #2
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Re: Canadians heading south on the ICW

I can't provide details about the list of numbers provided this year, but last year there were correct numbers for every state except Florida (which had changed to one central number for the entire state) and one other state, which now escapes me. We were able to obtain the correct number by calling in to the number for our previous reporting.

We kept a log of all calls including date, time, location and name of the person we reported to, or the occurence number for each call (if asked, they will provide the latter if not always the former). When the calls were unanswered ( occasionally for after hours calls), we left a message, logged it and called again the following morning. There were a few times when we anchored and had no cell service; after confirming over time that we had no service, we reported as soon as we had service (generally the next morning while underway) and, after explaining where we had anchored and the reason for no call the previous night, were given no problems.

If you are planning on departing the US for the Bahamas/Caribbean and not returning to Canada within the 12 month period of the license, make sure that you cancel the cruising license within 48'hours of your anticipated departure (it may require attending in person) and then confirming your actual departure by telephone). Otherwise, if you obtained your license in August or September and decide to return to the US for hurricane season, you will have to leave the US for 14 days after the expiry of your license before being able to apply for a new one. This would mean, of course, travelling offshore during hurricane season. If you cancelled your license prior to departing the US, you can apply for a new license upon re-entry to the US so long as you have been out of the country for more than 14 days.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 07:02   #3

Boat: Hunter 340, 1999, 34'

Hey, thanks for the warning!
Attikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 07:57   #4

Boat: Hunter 386

I don't know about the East coast, but when we harbour hopped down the west coast last year the phone numbers provided were almost useless and and each succeeding check-in knew less and less about who we should be contacting in the next port of call.

I would recommending to keep doing your research before you cast off even if you have to call ahead to double check the numbers. A couple of the customs guys got pretty snotty even though we tried to call (even going so far as to call back to Puget Sound).
Old 27-10-2017, 08:13   #5

Boat: Rafiki 37

The numbers for the SVRS provided on the page for it are completely wrong as well if you use that system
Old 27-10-2017, 15:50   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
I can't provide details about the list of numbers provided this year, but last year there were correct numbers for every state except Florida (which had changed to one central number for the entire state) and one other state, which now escapes me. We were able to obtain the correct number by calling in to the number for our previous reporting.

We kept a log of all calls including date, time, location and name of the person we reported to, or the occurence number for each call (if asked, they will provide the latter if not always the former). When the calls were unanswered ( occasionally for after hours calls), we left a message, logged it and called again the following morning. There were a few times when we anchored and had no cell service; after confirming over time that we had no service, we reported as soon as we had service (generally the next morning while underway) and, after explaining where we had anchored and the reason for no call the previous night, were given no problems.
If you are planning on departing the US for the Bahamas/Caribbean and not returning to Canada within the 12 month period of the license, make sure that you cancel the cruising license within 48'hours of your anticipated departure (it may require attending in person) and then confirming your actual departure by telephone). Otherwise, if you obtained your license in August or September and decide to return to the US for hurricane season, you will have to leave the US for 14 days after the expiry of your license before being able to apply for a new one. This would mean, of course, travelling offshore during hurricane season. If you cancelled your license prior to departing the US, you can apply for a new license upon re-entry to the US so long as you have been out of the country for more than 14 days.

Brad
Thank you Brad for your response. Most of what you say sounds quite reasonable but your statements about leaving for the Bahamas caught me off-guard. If you are waiting for a weather window and you give 48 hours notice what happens if you do not get the window. I was under the impression that if you notified HSBP of your intention to leave Florida, and kept track of your in and out in the Bahamas as long as it was over 14 days your permit was automatically up for renewal.
I am sure it is all do-able I'm just looking for info as borders get tighter.
Thank You again for your input.
Old 27-10-2017, 15:57   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
I don't know about the East coast, but when we harbour hopped down the west coast last year the phone numbers provided were almost useless and and each succeeding check-in knew less and less about who we should be contacting in the next port of call.

I would recommending to keep doing your research before you cast off even if you have to call ahead to double check the numbers. A couple of the customs guys got pretty snotty even though we tried to call (even going so far as to call back to Puget Sound).
Can you tell us what numbers were not correct and for what points of check in. Also when you say the officers were "snotty" can you please give a location and circumstance as examples?
Thank You for your participation.
Old 27-10-2017, 16:00   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by alctel View Post
The numbers for the SVRS provided on the page for it are completely wrong as well if you use that system
Can you please tell us how did you eventually resolve the issue with the SVRS phone numbers?
Thank You
BobV
Old 27-10-2017, 16:37   #9

Boat: C&C

Brad is correct, you have to cancel your existing cruising permit before you leave the U.S. If you don't and return while the permit is still active then they won't extend it or give you a new one. I guess if it's after the expired date then maybe they would issue a new one? I've never been in that situation, we're always back from the Bahamas within 3 months or so of leaving. In Lauderdale they don't dictate 48 hrs., I usually ask for about 5 days or so incase we don't leave and there's never been a problem with that. Also there, they say only 5 to 7 days before returning, they don't seem to really care about the 14 days ? The first year I just went to Bimini and back for 7 days and they issued me a new 1 year permit although everyone always says it's a 14 day minimum?
Good luck and happy sailing!
wannacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 17:05   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannacat View Post
Brad is correct, you have to cancel your existing cruising permit before you leave the U.S. If you don't and return while the permit is still active then they won't extend it or give you a new one. I guess if it's after the expired date then maybe they would issue a new one? I've never been in that situation, we're always back from the Bahamas within 3 months or so of leaving. In Lauderdale they don't dictate 48 hrs., I usually ask for about 5 days or so incase we don't leave and there's never been a problem with that. Also there, they say only 5 to 7 days before returning, they don't seem to really care about the 14 days ? The first year I just went to Bimini and back for 7 days and they issued me a new 1 year permit although everyone always says it's a 14 day minimum?
Good luck and happy sailing!
Great info and thank you for the response.
Old 27-10-2017, 18:26   #11

Boat: Monk Trawler

please ... you're heading south ... its "y'all"
captsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 20:07   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by captsue View Post
please ... you're heading south ... its "y'all"
And here I always thought it was spelled YAWL, eh?
Old 28-10-2017, 05:49   #13

Boat: Challenger 7.4 but looking for 30-40ft with a wheel

That's the west coast for you.
earthmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 11:02   #14
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Prior to departing the US we were in Lake Worth and waited 12 days for a good weather window (until we were quite confident in the forecast the day before our departure). That is when we cancelled our permit. If in spite of Chris Parker's forecast, the conditions were not only unsettled but dangerous, we would of course have turned around and re-anchored in Lake Worth. We would have called and informed them of our course of action, the reason why and of our intention to depart as soon as the weather setlled.

One cannot be forced to sea in unsafe conditions and if this had occurred, I am confident that the NOAA observations would have confirmed our comments. I am also confident that we would not have been the only boat to return for the same reason and that our track record of compliance with the reporting resquirements would have held us in good stead.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 13:01   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
Prior to departing the US we were in Lake Worth and waited 12 days for a good weather window (until we were quite confident in the forecast the day before our departure). That is when we cancelled our permit. If in spite of Chris Parker's forecast, the conditions were not only unsettled but dangerous, we would of course have turned around and re-anchored in Lake Worth. We would have called and informed them of our course of action, the reason why and of our intention to depart as soon as the weather setlled.
Brad
Thank you for your insight Brad. Did you have to obtain any documentation
of your leaving Florida, for entry into The Bahamas? There is another thread on here about exit zarpes, but the US. doesn't do these for pleasure craft.
BobV.

Tags
head, icw