Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2011, 18:53   #31

Boat: Trailerable cruising boat
Re: Canadian VHF License for US

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
Jeez, why is this so hard to get right?
I don't there has ever been a moment in this discussion when there was any real serious doubt about the requirements. We have been talking about the logic or reasoning of the requirements, not exactly what is required--well almost.

However, on the case of a visiting American boater in Canada, there does seem to be a bit of confusion. The Canadians are willing to waive their requirement for a visiting boat operator to have a Canadian boat operator license if staying less than 45 days, but they seem to insist that the visiting boat operator have a radio operator license if he is going to use his radio. This is another oddity. You can operate your boat but not your boat's radio! Does that make sense?

As for countries being restrictive about operating radio transmitters, I have some experience with this, too, but only indirectly. For decades I used to chase DX as a Radio Amateur, and read many accounts and heard some first hand about the travails of getting a license for a radio transmitter in a foreign country. In some countries and at some times you'd be killed if you had a radio transmitter.

ASIDE: Completely off topic but one of the rarest countries on the planet for Amateur Radio communication is Somalia. The last time I heard a station on the ham bands from Somalia was in the early 1970's. It was probably a station at the U S Embassy there. (Callsign was 6O6BW.) I don't think you are going to get much cooperation from Somalia for reciprocal licensing of your boat radio when passing through.
continuouswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 19:05   #32
Eternal Member

Let me try just one more time. Then I'm done. Really!

THERE IS NO REQUIREMENT FOR RECIPROCAL LICENSING FOR MARINE RADIOS. That's what the ITU agreements are all about. It's not like ham radio or CB or Business Radio or whatever other radio service (excepting aeronautical).

Phrased another way, if you are duly licensed by your country of registry (i.e., have a proper ship station license) AND if you have a commercial radiotelephone operator's license (the Restricted license is good enough), then you don't need anything else to operate your ship's radio on the high seas or in the waters of any other country which is a signatory to the ITU agreements.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 19:07   #33

Boat: Trailerable cruising boat

Quote:

THERE IS NO REQUIREMENT FOR RECIPROCAL LICENSING FOR MARINE RADIOS. That's what the ITU agreements are all about. It's not like ham radio or CB or Business Radio or whatever other radio service (excepting aeronautical).

Phrased another way, if you are duly licensed by your country of registry (i.e., have a proper ship station license) AND if you have a commercial radiotelephone operator's license (the Restricted license is good enough), then you don't need anything else to operate your ship's radio on the high seas or in the waters of any other country which is a signatory to the ITU agreements.

Bill
Ah, Bill, what you just described is reciprocal licensing. There is reciprocity.
continuouswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 19:24   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:

Bill
Thanks Bill, but let me throw a kink in the armour.

IF both me and the boat and the VHF are from Canada, all is understood.

Now, what if I and the VHF are from Canada, but the boat is registered, say, in Venezuela (not sure why one would want to do that, but as an example).

Does the license requirement depend on my citizenship, or the boat's registry?
Old 06-09-2011, 20:02   #35

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

VHF and other radios are attached to the vessel and are part of the vessel, so any license/permit for them would be from the same government that flagged the vessel. Anything that transmits from the vessel is also part of that vessel.
- - In the USA it is a violation to take a VHF radio off the boat and use it on land unless you have a land station license. Few if any people pay any attention to this technicality but it could come back to bite you if you were doing something nasty with the radio. FRM radios are legal on land or water in the USA and have about the same power and range.
- - This is also the most ignored wrinkle by most other countries as they are not apt to jeopardize the income from a visiting yacht over such a minor technicality.
- - As to an individual's radio operators license/permit that is a major gray area in that foreigners (if they can legally work in the USA) can get a US Restricted Radio Telephone Operators Permit if they can cough up $60. Here is the requirements from the Form 605 -
"CERTIFICATION FOR RESTRICTED RADIOTELEPHONE OPERATOR PERMIT
I certify that:
I can keep at least a rough written log.
I can speak and hear.
I am familiar with the provisions of the applicable laws, treaties, rules, and regulations governing the radio station which will be operated.
I need this permit because of intent to engage in international voyages or flights, international communications, or intent to comply with the requirements of the Vessel Bridge-to-Bridge Radiotelephone Act.
"

I like the requirement to be able to "speak and hear."
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 08:22   #36

Boat: Watkins 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by continuouswave View Post

However, on the case of a visiting American boater in Canada, there does seem to be a bit of confusion. The Canadians are willing to waive their requirement for a visiting boat operator to have a Canadian boat operator license if staying less than 45 days, but they seem to insist that the visiting boat operator have a radio operator license if he is going to use his radio. This is another oddity. You can operate your boat but not your boat's radio! Does that make sense?
I appreciate this is an old thread, however I will add my $0.02 cents.

To me it does make sense to require a level of competency to operate a marine VHF. One of the critical uses of these radios is communicating distress, urgency and safety messages. While I hope none of us experience a distress situation on the water, if it happens, I want to be able to efficiently communicate my request for assistance, with some comfort priority messages will not be lost in a sea of unregulated banter on the distress channel. I want to make as easy as possible for the Coast Guard to understand my situation and provide them with information required to respond.

In Canada the process for obtaining a Restricted Operators Certificate - Maritime (ROC-M) might be inconvenient, but its certainly not onerous. I found the training valuable.

FYI as my vessel is moored in Sidney BC, along with my ROC-M I have a Radio Licence for when I venture into US waters. As noted in this thread if I remain in Canadian waters the Radio Licence is not required.
Don B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vhf