Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2009, 11:51   #16

Boat: Fortuna, Island Spirit 400, 40ft. Catamaran - S/V One White Tree
One thing to note.
Don and the people in Toronto handle all the registrations for Ontario and are incredibly swamped most of the time. Even though I live in Ottawa, I registered my boat out of Halifax so that it could be done more quickly (weeks not months as I was warned.)
Apparently Vancouver is fast as well.
Olorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2009, 12:03   #17

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
I have registered three boats in Toronto, all with Don as registrar. The first one was in 1984 and the latest one in 2004. The first two took quite a while and the fault was with the tonnage surveyor. The last one was very quick as the rules had been changed and boats under 10 meters (I think) did not require a tonnage survey, just filled out some sort of mathematical formula and a couple of pictures. This last boat was bought in the US and stayed there. No delays, very quick service. Of course the last one cost double what the first one cost to register but I guess it's not too bad as there was 20 years between them.

Olorin, I thought you could register a boat in Ottawa.
Old 17-09-2009, 12:44   #18

Boat: Custom Cutter 38
A bit off topic, but...

I registered MONICA in 2004 with Don. In 2007 I called him up to ask if he can assist a very confused, new boat owner friend of mine. I mentioned that I called him because he registered MONICA and I had his card. DON REMEMBERED EVERYTHING about my boat!!! I was speechless, and being a woman that's pretty impressive. When I could utter a few words I asked him how comes he remembered. He said he makes it a point to remember every boat he registered. Now that's a man who is not in it for the money, but because he loves what he does. Here is to you, Don!
sailingmonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2009, 12:55   #19

Boat: 42 Passage CC
Send a message via Skype™ to Artful Dodger
Just finished registering my boat, cost 250 dollars, the boat came from the USA so had to have, the last ownership from the States, Bill of sale (was told taxes they were not concerned with), was able to do my only survey by using their form, and then had to supply four coloured pictured of my vessel according to their lay out. All this went well and took about two visits and three months to get the final paper work.
Artful Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2009, 14:02   #20

My boat is currently in storage in Maryland and will not be in the water until April of next year when she is sailed home. I figure this will give ample time to get the registration process completed. Am I going to have too get a cruising permit when I launch my boat from the US and bring it back to Canada?
Krozet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2009, 15:09   #21

Boat: Fortuna, Island Spirit 400, 40ft. Catamaran - S/V One White Tree
Vasco,

All the Ontario registrations go through Toronto so it’s the same problem I was told.

I just did a quick check and the Halifax people took 15 days to process the registration, which was fine with me.

Besides Halifax is a more storied port than our great seafaring capital Ottawa.

Ross
Olorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2009, 08:58   #22

Boat: Newport 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olorin View Post
Apparently Vancouver is fast as well.
Mine was done in Vancouver and it was fast. They called after a few days saying I got the primary name, (you need to supply 3 possible names in order of preference) and got the paperwork in the mail a week after that.
Old 18-09-2009, 16:14   #23

Boat: S&S Hughes 38
If you plan on travelling international, you need to register(document) the vessel.No numbers on boat,just the name and homeport.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2009, 17:45   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by highseas View Post
If you plan on travelling international, you need to register(document) the vessel.No numbers on boat,just the name and homeport.
This is exactly what I have been lead to believe. Since I am planning on eventually sailing internationally and I hate the idea of sticking numbers on the side of my boat... Registration it is.
Krozet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2009, 17:27   #25

Boat: Irwin Citation 34 - Mystery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krozet View Post
My boat is currently in storage in Maryland and will not be in the water until April . . . from the US and bring it back to Canada?
I sent you a Private message

Rik
RikHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 15:17   #26
cruiser

No one has yet answered my original questions.
Registry makes it east for someone who stubbed his toe on your boat to put a lien on it. Liens don't stick to licenses. A friend had his boat arbitraruly towed out of a remote anchorage,while he was ashore ,beacuse it harmlessly touched bottom. The thief then demanded salvage fees, I suggested he check to se if the thief had put a lien on it for salvage fees. Couldn't do that with a license. That is why they prefer registry, to make your boat more vulnerable to arbritary liens.
Brent
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote