Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2014, 20:21   #31

Boat: Caliber 40
Re: Canadian Customs and a DUI

SO... four decades ago...

I am a US citizen who got drunk at a sanctioned Swiftsure (the premier NW race out into the Pacific Ocean) pre-race event. I, as did many others, laid myself out on the dock in Victoria,British Columbia the night before Swiftsure as all we semi-professional sailors were doing our 1970s best to prepare ourselves for a 36 hour pounding.

A very nice, and I guess understanding, Victoria Police Officer helped me find my boat and then helped me stumble aboard.

Will the US not allow me into the States because I was picked up drunk by a Canadian officer or will the Canadians ignore the problem because I was not drunk in the US?

Even worse; I was finger printed many times while consulting with NASA, DoD, USPS, Customs, Treasury, Canadian Customs, and many law enforcement agencies.

Is there hope for me ever entering Canada again?

PS - since the Victoria event I have entered Canada many hundreds of times.
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2014, 04:37   #32

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
If you have been convicted of driving while impaired by alcohol or drugs, you will probably be found criminally inadmissible to Canada. But as of March 1, 2012, you may be able to get a temporary resident permit for one visit without paying the C$200 processing fee.

Determine if you are inadmissible

What is the new policy on criminal inadmissibility?
It's a shame the USA doesn't have similar laws.
Old 30-08-2014, 05:50   #33

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
It's a shame the USA doesn't have similar laws.
They do.....trust me...
Old 30-08-2014, 09:33   #34
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Crossing the border--any US border--is only a problem if you are trying to bring large machinery across with you.

Otherwise you do it the same way it has always been done. Pick a quiet spot and walk on over. There's still plenty of that going on.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2014, 09:41   #35
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Alchemy-
The Canadian logic on this is that DUI is a felony in their books, and that makes anyone convicted of it a serious criminal. And they don't allow serious criminals to enter.
Unless of course you throw away your passport and ID and claim to be a refugee, in which case you can enter and disappear without a trace, because that's being properly charitable and granting succor to the needy.
CTV News recently reported that the were 4000 US citizens in Ontario claiming refugee status and collecting welfare, full medical, free dental, free eyeglasses, free prescription drugs and it will take up to five years to process each claim.
Old 30-08-2014, 09:58   #36

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
CTV News recently reported that the were 4000 US citizens in Ontario claiming refugee status and collecting welfare, full medical, free dental, free eyeglasses, free prescription drugs and it will take up to five years to process each claim.
Interesting you brought that up. Read a story about them. Apparently many came to Canada from Wisconsin which had tightened up on their once very lax and very generous welfare payments. And they originally came to Wisconsin from Illinois because they could collect more money while still being able to visit friends and relatives in nearby Chicago.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2014, 14:21   #37
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

A five year long loophole? Presuming that none are ever granted their status, that's still a sad reflection on any bureaucracy, that they would rather provide all those expensive benefits to freeloaders for five years, than just hire a few more staff to provide timely processing.

We hear the same thing about our own VA, and the Canadian medical system. Inordinate delays that may be intended to deny an end result, but wind up costing more than timely care would have.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 20:51   #38

I don't get it...

Canada won't let you in as a visitor if you have a DUI ? - Ok, I may disagree but I understand...

HOWEVER - If you pay a $200 fee, they will let you in as a temp citizen ?!?!

Am I missing something here?
Andy73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
customs