Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-07-2014, 14:02   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Re: Canadian Customs and a DUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
A DUI is not necessarily a felony.

However I think we should immediately change the laws for Canadians coming into the US to be at least as restrictive, or more so.
If you read my note, the border is now (as of July 1 actually) pretty integrated.

The record you have in either country is available to the other's border officials. It works both ways. Both countries let the other know when you are leaving the country, and both let the other know when you come back.

Old 29-07-2014, 14:04   #17

Drove up to Canada with another guy for a hockey tournament, the passenger with me had a DUI, they found that out right away and he couldn't cross (I was driving by the way). One post showed getting some paperwork in order first, but in the nut shell no entry allowed unless approved ahead of time. All the rest commenting on its up to the officer is hog wash.

Old 29-07-2014, 14:08   #18
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Alchemy-
The Canadian logic on this is that DUI is a felony in their books, and that makes anyone convicted of it a serious criminal. And they don't allow serious criminals to enter.
Unless of course you throw away your passport and ID and claim to be a refugee, in which case you can enter and disappear without a trace, because that's being properly charitable and granting succor to the needy.
(No, really.)

The OP really needs to contact the authorities directly, preferably in writing (email or paper) explaining the specifics of the case and conviction, and asking what their options are under current law. Bear in mind, laws and policies change all the time, so the OP needs to find out the current situation, and probably should check again 30 days before the trip is planned to make sure there have been no changes.
Old 29-07-2014, 14:50   #19

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22

Quote:

However I think we should immediately change the laws for Canadians coming into the US to be at least as restrictive, or more so.
Hahaha,.... they are much more restrictive. Don't ask how I know...
Old 29-07-2014, 14:52   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cape Dory 27

I agree and would not even consider going without the stack of paperwork in order. I also have been had to turn back at the Canadian border because my passenger had a DUI on her record. Really inconvenient...

It's worth noting that the temp resident pass you may be able to get with a DUI on your record can be cancelled by ANY officer at any time including grumpy border guards

From their website....

Quote:
To be eligible for a temporary resident permit, your need to enter or stay in Canada must outweigh the health or safety risks to Canadian society, as determined by an immigration or a border services officer. Even if the reason you are inadmissible seems minor, you must demonstrate that your visit is justified.

There is no guarantee that you will be issued a temporary resident permit. If you would like to receive a permit, you will have to pay a processing fee, which is not refundable.

A permit is usually issued for the length of your visit to Canada—for example, one week to attend a conference. You must leave Canada by the expiry date of the permit, or get a new permit before your current one expires.

Please note that this permit may be cancelled by an officer at any time. The permit is no longer valid once you leave Canada, unless you have specifically been authorized to leave and re-enter.
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2014, 15:12   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

Please dont change restrictions on Canucks coming in... I play music in the bars here in the PNW and they are full of drunk Canadians Then they all pile in a car and drive home or sleep in their RV next to the bar. They love to have a good time! Evidently they have to come here to do it.... although I have a great time up there... Used be the strongest beer around!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2014, 16:52   #22

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:

There was a recent story in Canada about a woman being refused entry to the US because she had attempted suicide a number of years ago. She committed no crime, but she had called 911. The police weren't just sharing convictions, they were sharing everything. So the US border guard decided that she might not be of sound mind and denied her entry.
Old 29-07-2014, 17:40   #23

Boat: Valiant 42

I have a friend denied entry into Canada due to DUI. The best answer is to work it out with them ahead of time. Don't wait until you show up at the border.
Old 29-07-2014, 17:51   #24
One of Those

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Catalac 12M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Please dont change restrictions on Canucks coming in... I play music in the bars here in the PNW and they are full of drunk Canadians Then they all pile in a car and drive home or sleep in their RV next to the bar. They love to have a good time! Evidently they have to come here to do it.... although I have a great time up there... Used be the strongest beer around!
Nah, I was joking. I've spent lots of time in Canada and have a lot of Canadian friends. My first serious girlfriend....well never mind. Wouldn't break my heart if they annexed this little country, either.

What kind of music? I just added an electric five string violin to the boat.
Old 29-07-2014, 18:47   #25
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I heard that Obama was going to sign another Executive Decree, ergh, Order, stating that Canada had annexed the US and the US was accepting the annexation.

Of course then the only question is, what will they pay us to make us go away again.(G)
Old 30-07-2014, 11:19   #26

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Alchemy-
The Canadian logic on this is that DUI is a felony in their books, and that makes anyone convicted of it a serious criminal. And they don't allow serious criminals to enter.
Unless of course you throw away your passport and ID and claim to be a refugee, in which case you can enter and disappear without a trace, because that's being properly charitable and granting succor to the needy.
(No, really.)

The OP really needs to contact the authorities directly, preferably in writing (email or paper) explaining the specifics of the case and conviction, and asking what their options are under current law. Bear in mind, laws and policies change all the time, so the OP needs to find out the current situation, and probably should check again 30 days before the trip is planned to make sure there have been no changes.
Is it ironic that I feel less secure since 9/11 gave the mall cops Gestapo powers?

Funny thing is the application is inconsistent. I'm Canadian with no record; I recall being bonded as a security guard around 1980 and therefore my prints are on (cardstock) file SOMEwhere. In 2009, I delivered as crew on a boat from VA to Charlotte Amalie. Fun trip. I boarded a plane with my PFD "armed" in Charlotte and made a connection at Philadelphia back to Toronto. At Philadelphia, Gruppenfuhrer Mallkop decided my CO2 cartridge was suspiciously Muslim-looking and it got chucked. I guess the USVI are just more irie than Philly.

That ranted, I agree that the OP's SO has to, regrettably, get right with the Canadian border mall cops prior to embarcation.
Old 14-08-2014, 00:21   #27

Boat: Cruisers Rogue 2870

Hello all, thanks for the replies. Just to follow up, we ended up going for it, making sure to leave plenty of daylight to get to Clayton should the black water hit the fan. Turned out to be a non-issue for us. Nothing was even mentioned about a DUI, no extra paperwork, no 200 dollar temporary resident fee... nothing. I was on the phone for about 2 minutes, then enjoyed two lovely nights in Kingston.

I'm not sure if I just got lucky or what, but that's what happened.
Old 14-08-2014, 00:24   #28

Boat: Cruisers Rogue 2870

On another note... I brought my dog with me, and also had no issues getting her in. She's a 6 month old Brittany Spaniel, and all of her shots are up to date etc...

I did have one strange moment though... I was walking her up the dock, when a guy ahead of me said something to another dog owner. He said 'be careful, that one's an american.' The other dog owner promptly picked up his pup and looked at me like I was carrying the ebola virus.... What was that about??
Old 29-08-2014, 20:29   #29

Boat: Sabre 34

Is it my imagination playing tricks on me or did (all or some of ) the 9-11 terrorists enter the US from Canada?

Oh well, I guess a DUI is more of an issue and far more worthy of tracking. Or perhaps it is the $200.00
Old 29-08-2014, 20:56   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesarsten View Post
Is it my imagination playing tricks on me or did (all or some of ) the 9-11 terrorists enter the US from Canada?

Oh well, I guess a DUI is more of an issue and far more worthy of tracking. Or perhaps it is the $200.00
Its your imagination ..... and a distinct lack of historical or current event knowledge.

In fact the terrorists that flew the plane were trained an an airport not far from you.

Not one of the non-Canadian idiots running the flight school thought it strange that they expressed no interest in learning how to land a plane.

Tags
customs

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: