Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2014, 10:23   #31

Boat: Beneteau 411
Re: Canadian Boat Crusing in US

Thank for your insight, folks. Sounds like a good plan to follow.

'Mind me asking: while keeping the boat in FL during summer, do you store it on hard (boatyard), tied to dock (marina, private docks?), moor, anchor? What other seasonal cruisers do?
Thanks in advance for you insights.
argalax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:39   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by argalax View Post
Thank for your insight, folks. Sounds like a good plan to follow.

'Mind me asking: while keeping the boat in FL during summer, do you store it on hard (boatyard), tied to dock (marina, private docks?), moor, anchor? What other seasonal cruisers do?
Thanks in advance for you insights.
You can do any of the above except maybe anchor. Florida has some tough anchoring laws. The growth on the bottom can be quite high in summer months so if left in the water you will need a dive service keeping the bottom clean. Also a boat in the water should be checked quite often. Leaves can plug drains, line wear etc. If there is a hurricane you will have to have the boat moved, usually you can not stay in a marina during a named storm. Hauling the boat allows the hull to dry out, eases many service tasks.

We haul our boat. Run fresh water through the auxiliary and generator diesels, put in a dehumidifier, remove all food and canvas, seal any unneeded holes to keep out bugs, and tie her down to big concrete beams set in the ground. We took the mast down last summer but have not done that before.

Our insurance has a 10% deductible without a hurricane plan or 5% with one, so this drops us down into the lower deductible. And we feel the boat will be ok in the place we keep her in there was a big storm. They go in the boat to check it once a month. If a boat should develop a water leak and rain gets inside it can mildew over the summer and be almost impossible to fix. Storage is about $10 per ft per month with a discount for paying 6 months in advance.

I hope that helps, Bob
BobH260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 12:30   #33
mcm

The really odd thing about the cruising licenses is that when we cruised from Vancouver BC to Mexico and docking at quite a few US ports on the way ..no cruising license was required, however on the return trip San Diego office issued us a cruising license.
Wonder how a 40 ft power boat is supposed to go to a foreign port from say San Fran annually in order to maintain compliance ? do they expect you trailer it to Mex. or Cda.
Seems like a really weird requirement to punish the boat not the owner .
mcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:09   #34

Boat: Hughes, 35'

Along the same lines as original post, we have a CDN registered ship currently in Toronto and we want to moor it on the US side in Clayton NY. This will probably be just for the summer season (4-5 months).

I understand we will need a ~25$ decal and a cruising license may or may not be needed for Lake Ontario. We will obviously call in with all the appropriate information when crossing between US and CDN waters.

What I'm not clear on:
  1. Do we have to stop in a US designated port of entry first or can we announce our entry by radio and make our first landfall in Clayton NY?
  2. I have CYA VHF certification, is it only the master that is required to have this or would my shipmate also have to have it?
  3. Is there any other important points or forms I need to know about or any reason we might run into problems keeping our boat on the US side?
  4. If we did decide to winter it in the same marina, would this involve importing the vessel?

As an aside: I have sailed on a vessel (I was not the master) which did not make an appropriate call when re-entering Canada and we were held for 6-7 hours by border control, harbour patrol, and customs officers. Not an experience I wish to repeat to say the least!
briana.paige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 08:37   #35
cruiser

Boat: Westsail 42

The more I read in the forums the more sailing starts costing lol.
Razoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2014, 08:54   #36

Boat: Beneteau 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razoo View Post
The more I read in the forums the more sailing starts costing lol.
It terms of cruising costs, I have no problem with a one-time $25 fee. My concern is $25+ per night mooring costs and no anchoring allowed. At that rate, that mooring ball pays for its annual maintenance perhaps in the first week of the season. After that, every cruiser is a cash cow.
Unfortunately, that seem to be the case everywhere, not just US.

As a cursing Canadian, my concern is that I have to call US customs every time I pickup an anchor/drop mooring ball and move across the bay (when crossing the port boundary, wherever that is - have to know what too ).
It simply doesn't make sense: If I cross the border by car, I am allowed to drive anywhere in the US for up to 6 months. But if I cross the border by boat, I have to report every move. What's the difference?
argalax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2014, 11:13   #37

Boat: Hunter 340

Quote:
It terms of cruising costs, I have no problem with a one-time $25 fee. My concern is $25+ per night mooring costs and no anchoring allowed. At that rate, that mooring ball pays for its annual maintenance perhaps in the first week of the season. After that, every cruiser is a cash cow.

As a cursing Canadian, my concern is that I have to call US customs every time I pickup an anchor/drop mooring ball and move across the bay (when crossing the port boundary, wherever that is - have to know what too ).
It simply doesn't make sense: If I cross the border by car, I am allowed to drive anywhere in the US for up to 6 months. But if I cross the border by boat, I have to report every move. What's the difference?
I have heard about this requirement but I don't know a soul who has actually made the call at each port.
For those mooring balls, the marina will often make a better deal on a weekly or monthly basis.
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2014, 11:27   #38

Boat: Hunter 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by briana.paige View Post
Along the same lines as original post, we have a CDN registered ship currently in Toronto and we want to moor it on the US side in Clayton NY. This will probably be just for the summer season (4-5 months).

I understand we will need a ~25$ decal and a cruising license may or may not be needed for Lake Ontario. We will obviously call in with all the appropriate information when crossing between US and CDN waters.

What I'm not clear on:
  1. Do we have to stop in a US designated port of entry first or can we announce our entry by radio and make our first landfall in Clayton NY?
  2. I have CYA VHF certification, is it only the master that is required to have this or would my shipmate also have to have it?
  3. Is there any other important points or forms I need to know about or any reason we might run into problems keeping our boat on the US side?
  4. If we did decide to winter it in the same marina, would this involve importing the vessel?

As an aside: I have sailed on a vessel (I was not the master) which did not make an appropriate call when re-entering Canada and we were held for 6-7 hours by border control, harbour patrol, and customs officers. Not an experience I wish to repeat to say the least!
You will need to stop at a designated Port-of-Entry into the US if you do not have either I-68 or Nexus. With the I-68 or Nexus, call US Customs (CBP) and go to any marina.
While travelling in US waters, your VHF radio will require a Station Licence as would a US registered boat cruising in Canadian waters. Its nice that the skipper carries a CYA certificate for VHF, but happily not required. The Station Licence requirement was about to be scrapped years ago, but then 911 happened.
Check with the state about leaving your boat there more than 6 months. Each state has different rules. In Canada, a US registered boat is required to obtain a E-99.
When (and if) you return to Canada, be sure to call the nice folks at Customs and leave any weaponry you may have found in the USA!
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2014, 12:51   #39

Quote:
I have not heard about, nor experienced such requirement ... doesn't mean it does not exist. In three seasons I boat cross border, nobody told me to report, nor I reported anywhere in the USA after the initial clearance to enter US by boat.

From my personal experience boating on Saint Lawrence River and Lake Ontario, when clearing the US border obtain the reference number. I am always provided with one when clearing via the port of entry on Heart Island. Sometimes I need to ask for one when clearing the border on water some other way.

Heaving this number handy simplifies answering any queries from other US DHS officers during your stay in the USA, and is technically required by CBP (although rarely asked for) when returning back to Canada by boat.
Richard_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2014, 14:00   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:

Lets hear some of those curses. sorry, sorry sorry, eh.

US citizens: We have crossed into the North Channel for 3-1/2 weeks. The MIB materialized form nowhere as we exited the US. No boarding, just a polite exchange and reminder to check back in. In Meldrum Bay, we called in by phone. Canadian border control talked to us for about 5 minutes. Wished us a pleasant cruise. Return to the US at Drummond Island was uneventful with a nice young man in jack boots who talked to us on deck for about 15 minutes. Most of us up here have no horror stories. I think that if you make every effort to comply, notify, etc. You should be OK. This has been my experience sailing on the Great Lakes for 35 years. BTW, we have AIS. I can't say for sure, but it sort of says, "I have nothing to hide". these guys know what color my shorts are by 60- miles out.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 05:10   #41

Boat: Mirage 33

I am a Canadian in Montreal.

It is now early June and I am about close a deal to buy a sailboat in Ontario that is over 30 foot and I want to bring it in through Lake Ontario on the US side.

I do not think I have enough time to buy a cruising permit. If am asked about a cruising permit at Youngstown, can I purchase one there. I know it is only a videophone at Youngstown.

I doubt I can get a radio station license in time either.
wrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 05:28   #42
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapper View Post
I am a Canadian in Montreal.

It is now early June and I am about close a deal to buy a sailboat in Ontario that is over 30 foot and I want to bring it in through Lake Ontario on the US side.

I do not think I have enough time to buy a cruising permit. If am asked about a cruising permit at Youngstown, can I purchase one there. I know it is only a videophone at Youngstown.

I doubt I can get a radio station license in time either.
I have been doing this several times a year for 30years ....You don't need a cruising permit (which are free when you do need them) and at 30' you do not need a customs decal in 30years I have never been asked about a radio license. All you need is your passport to show at the video check in. Yes ..... it really is that easy.