Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2019, 10:35   #91

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Canadian & American Border Agents to Share Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormantx View Post
Senegal. I was electronically fingerprinted when clearing into Dakar a few months ago. Same kind of machines they use in the USA for the USCG license and TWIC cards.
Re the DUI discussion, there's a huge cultural difference between Canada and the USA. I have spent considerable time in Newfoundland and in the local pub that I frequented in CBS if someone had more than a beer or two they would call a taxi or family and leave their car in the parking lot. No hassle from the shopping centre or police for doing that. Never seen anything like that in the states.
Thanks for the Senegal info. Good to know. Was this routine for everyone?

I’ve certainly left my car in the parking lot when I had more to drink than I’d originally planned. Getting the pub to call a cab is never a problem. I can’t imagine this being a problem in the USA — unless the parking lot is not owned or controlled by the pub I suppose.

Funny you should mention Newfoundland. I’m currently based in Corner Brook, not CBS, but certainly there’s no issue getting a cab and leaving the car. But it should be noted that Newfoundland also has some pretty high rates of driving infractions. There was a news story about that recently.
Old 17-07-2019, 11:18   #92

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
I recall studies that suggest that distractions like texting, and extreme fatigue have comparable effects to alcohol. Of these, alcohol (and maybe fatigue) are the only ones that can be detected before they are involved in a collision.

Biggest problem in your links - calling them "accidents". The vast majority are not accidents but mistakes. Someone goofed- by doing something stupid, or by failing to drive defensively enough (driving for the conditions, allowing space, being attentive).
I agree with you in that they are preventable. They are nonetheless, accidents.

Per Wikipedia: "An accident, also known as an unintentional act, is an undesirable, incidental, and an unplanned event that could have been prevented had circumstances leading up to the accident been recognized, and acted upon, prior to its occurrence"

Per Dictionary.com: "an undesirable or unfortunate happening that occurs unintentionally and usually results in harm, injury, damage, or loss; casualty; mishap"

The key here is that they are not intentional, thus being an accident. They are certainly a preventable accident, as are most accidents.

Again, I agree with you that these are preventable. They are however accidents.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2019, 11:22   #93

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Ha! I’m one, and that’s b/c I have no choice with equifax. Don’t Google, don’t FB, barely know what instagram is, and I certainly don't twit (although I know many would dispute this ).

The security industrial complex is driven by fear, plain and simple. They’ve got most of us scared of our own shadows. Easy to wave the terrorist or illegal immigrant boogyman and extract more freedoms from us.

But I don’t downplay the danger of corporate privacy intrusion. In some ways, I think it is more insidious and dangerous. With government we face a “1984” scenario. With corporations, it’s more like “Brave New World.”

Spot on! If a corporation has it, then a government either has it or can/will get it. Look at the fight the US government has had with telecommunications companies trying to force them to create back doors in their devices, turn over records, etc.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2019, 13:56   #94

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I’ve certainly left my car in the parking lot when I had more to drink than I’d originally planned. Getting the pub to call a cab is never a problem. I can’t imagine this being a problem in the USA — unless the parking lot is not owned or controlled by the pub I suppose.

It depends. Sure, there are freestanding places with their own parking that are unlikely to make a fuss.

The problem comes up in denser areas where people park on the street, in a paid lot, or in a lot that the drinking establishment shares with other businesses. It is not automatic and it is not always -- but yes, people do get towed.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2019, 08:10   #95

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Big bro is always watching. We installed AIS class B years ago. Never stopped, boarded, bothered by Canada, Homeland, CG, or local cops on the Great Lakes or east coast. I figured if they knew enough about me they wouldn’t waste time looking. Canada is ready goofy about DUI and other traffic infractions. So you arrive by boat and they worry about your driving record? Especially as crew.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2019, 08:46   #96

Quote:
I recall studies that suggest that distractions like texting, and extreme fatigue have comparable effects to alcohol. Of these, alcohol (and maybe fatigue) are the only ones that can be detected before they are involved in a collision.

Biggest problem in your links - calling them "accidents". The vast majority are not accidents but mistakes. Someone goofed- by doing something stupid, or by failing to drive defensively enough (driving for the conditions, allowing space, being attentive).

A few years ago I was out to go shopping after some snow. As I was slowing down way, way, way ahead of a traffic light down a very slight hill, this young lady in a "sporty" car drove by me at even on a dry road would be considered an unsafe speed. She caromed off the center divider (thank goodness for that!) and ended up in the ditch on the right side of the road. Her car was a mess, she was able to get out. It was 10 a.m.

Wasn't blonde, either!
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2019, 12:11   #97

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

Quote:
(snippage)

Now if only we could get some buggers to stop texting and driving...
Not ONLY texting, though texting is among the most dangerous device-related behavior. I drive on L.A. area freeways almost every day. I'm in a 4WD pickup, giving me a vantage point into most vehicles. I literally can't drive more than five minutes without seeing somebody doing something idiotic involving a phone or even laptop.

In California, it's been illegal to hold a phone in your hand while driving for some years, a hands-free connection is required to carry on a phone conversation. A separate law bans ALL texting, but insanely it is still not a moving violation, meaning it won't count on the State's point system for identifying negligent drivers, nor be reported to insurance companies.

Nationwide, texting and other electronic-related distracted driving is killing close to 4,000 people per year, almost half the DUI-related total. And it's getting worse.
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2019, 10:20   #98

Yes its weird that one cannot take any personal fruit and veggies with them when entering US, even if it was imported from said US in the first place
barcoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2019, 08:45   #99

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcoo View Post
Yes its weird that one cannot take any personal fruit and veggies with them when entering US, even if it was imported from said US in the first place
I used to work in a greenhouse. Agriculture import rules are incredibly complex and they take them very, very seriously. On top of that there are all sorts of weird tariff and duty issues that countries use to play games with each other. I guess it is just easier to make the rules all across the board, even when it doesn't make much sense like on boats or RVs.
Old 21-07-2019, 09:03   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcoo View Post

I'd agree, except I realize the complexity of making exceptions for this, and the complication that then people would claim "but I bought this fruit in the U.S. originally".

There is good reason to restrict agricultural products from other countries, but everyone thinks they're an exception.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote