Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-08-2013, 21:04   #1

Canada/Us border crossings

My apologies if the following is already covered in other threads. If so, please forward link(s).

I am a Canadian in Vancouver about to buy a boat in canada that i will moor in Blaine. I have paid canadian gst and pst on the boat and i will have a washington state cruising permit. My questions are:

1. If i cross the border from canada into the US in my car with stuff for the boat, ie sails, cleaning materials etc. that I intend to leave on the boat and then drive back to canada in my car, do i have to declare these items to US customs and if so, do i pay duty and/or wash state sales, taxes on them?? If the answer is yes, does this mean i can't cross using my nexus pass?

2. Same questions as above, only now I am at the canadian border returning to canada without the sails and cleaning materials. Do I have to report this to Canada customs? Can i use the Nexus lane?

3. I now buy in washington a new radio/sail or similar for the boat and leave it on the boat. Three months later i cross into canada with the boat for the weekend only. When i check in with canada customs on the way north, do i report the purchases and do i have to pay gst pst and duty, even though boat is only in canada temporarily?

4. If answer to 3 above is yes, then if i first cruise in the us for a couple of days do i get the $700.00 exemption, even though i bought the stuff 3 months earlier?

5. Are there any restrictions on me working on my own boat in the US? If i cross the border with a car full of tools, paint, fittings, varnish etc. will i have problems? What if one or more canadian friends/relatives come down as well to help me out as well? Is that a problem?

Any advice appreciated. My experience in asking US or canada customs directly for an answer has not been good as they seem to like to play a cat and mouse game trying to catch me out on whatever course of action i've chosen.
Sorry for the length of this post.
Old 14-08-2013, 21:36   #2

Boat: Stevens 47
Hi,

I use to keep my boat in Blaine and lived in White Rock, from my experience:

1. Normally if it was used stuff, I didn't worry about it. If it was a lot of new stuff I'd declare it to the nexus guard, never had to pay duty on anything going into US.

2. No problem there as you're not bringing anything in. When taking things back home for winter ie dinghy on the roof, I always used the nexus lane and had no problem.

3. Legally you're suppose to, not sure how they would tell. As its a Canadian boat any additions you make to it are suppose to be taxable.

4. As long as you have been out of the country for required amount of time could be part of your exemption, I don't think it matters when you purchased it, they only care about when it crosses the border.

5. Never had a problem, not sure of legalities of having a friend help.

Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by osprey877 View Post
My apologies if the following is already covered in other threads. If so, please forward link(s).

I am a Canadian in Vancouver about to buy a boat in canada that i will moor in Blaine. I have paid canadian gst and pst on the boat and i will have a washington state cruising permit. My questions are:

1. If i cross the border from canada into the US in my car with stuff for the boat, ie sails, cleaning materials etc. that I intend to leave on the boat and then drive back to canada in my car, do i have to declare these items to US customs and if so, do i pay duty and/or wash state sales, taxes on them?? If the answer is yes, does this mean i can't cross using my nexus pass?

2. Same questions as above, only now I am at the canadian border returning to canada without the sails and cleaning materials. Do I have to report this to Canada customs? Can i use the Nexus lane?

3. I now buy in washington a new radio/sail or similar for the boat and leave it on the boat. Three months later i cross into canada with the boat for the weekend only. When i check in with canada customs on the way north, do i report the purchases and do i have to pay gst pst and duty, even though boat is only in canada temporarily?

4. If answer to 3 above is yes, then if i first cruise in the us for a couple of days do i get the $700.00 exemption, even though i bought the stuff 3 months earlier?

5. Are there any restrictions on me working on my own boat in the US? If i cross the border with a car full of tools, paint, fittings, varnish etc. will i have problems? What if one or more canadian friends/relatives come down as well to help me out as well? Is that a problem?

Any advice appreciated. My experience in asking US or canada customs directly for an answer has not been good as they seem to like to play a cat and mouse game trying to catch me out on whatever course of action i've chosen.
Sorry for the length of this post.
Old 15-08-2013, 23:37   #3

Re: Canada/Us border crossings

Thanks s/v thea

Tags
Canada

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: