Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2015, 16:20   #1

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham
Canada - Alaska border

Hi

Been trying to find the requirements for clearing when sailing north from Canada in the area from the border to Glacier bay. Noonsite and other sources drew a blank.
There seams to be one port in the area but it is a long sail from the border. We are looking at moving to the area and would be weekend sailing around he fjords so would not want to have to go a few hundred miles north just to clear in.
Canadian registered boat.
Anyone know the area?
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 16:51   #2

Location: Behind the garlic curtain - east central Saskatchewan
Boat: Baylurker 2755
Re: Canada - Alaska border

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
Hi

Been trying to find the requirements for clearing when sailing north from Canada in the area from the border to Glacier bay. Noonsite and other sources drew a blank.
There seams to be one port in the area but it is a long sail from the border. We are looking at moving to the area and would be weekend sailing around he fjords so would not want to have to go a few hundred miles north just to clear in.
Anyone know the area?
You can clear at Ketchikan but I don't think there's anything south of that. Its nowhere near 100 miles from the border but you're right, its a long way from the border.
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 16:57   #3

Boat: Meta Arctic Voyager 47
Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor

Last summer when up there I called US Customs from Prince Rupert and told them I was coming up and would need two days. They took down my particulars and told me I could stop in Foggy Bay which is more than 1/2 way in US waters. I should also contact them if there were any changes to my departure or expected arrival dates. That was it. Very easy, very professional.

On another note you should find for the most part the AK officials much for solicitous and friendly than in the lower 48. They actually welcome you to AK instead treating you like a criminal until you can prove otherwise.
northwestsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 18:24   #4

Boat: Mason 44

Get a Nexus Card, stop going to customs ports and just phone it in. Plan on 6-months to go through the process and getting approved by both US and Canadian Customs. Then just phone in your crossing. http://getnexus.com
Moonshine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 18:31   #5

Thanks for that, had not found Ketchikan and it is much closer. Have a ten year Visa that I got in order to visit Hawaii and will look up the Nexus card if we do move up there, heard of it but don't know the details. All I need now is a job!
Old 08-02-2015, 23:25   #6

Boat: Nordic 44

As reported in previous posts, the southern most US Customs station is Ketchikan. They will meet you about anywhere on the island reachable by road with a phone call and there isn't a cruise ship or ferry coming into port.

The next port north is Sitka, I believe.

Both Ketchikan and Rrince Rupert on the Canadian side seem to operate like the old days, very congenial. The lower 48 and BC crossings seem be an escalating **** fight over visas, guns and ammo. Those crossing by water seem to be in cross hairs.

I see you list your homeport as Alert Bay? A couple of years ago, we had a great conversation in Port McNeill with a skipper of a ketch from Alert Bay that also was a winter caretaker at Sullivan Bay. By any chance, that would be you?

Quote:
Hi

Anyone know the area?
japarker11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 23:34   #7

Boat: Skookum 53'

I haven't cleared in down that way for a few years, but the last time I did, it was relaxed on both sides. I would think the call ahead would take care of it.
Old 08-02-2015, 23:35   #8

Thanks for the info but I don't think it was me, do sail a ketch, am based in both Alert bay and often in Port McNiell but never been winter caretaker at Sullivan Bay! Love this area but we are thinking of a move up to Port Rupert next fall, hence the info request. Would be a pain to find it was impractical to explore from there north because of border regs, The border is just across the sound.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:57   #9

Boat: 1967 Chris Craft Cavalier 33'

1-800-562-5943. Give em a call and get all the details.
Bikini Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 08:36   #10

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Hi

Anyone know the area?
Hi Roland,

We live on the Alaska side in Wrangell, and cross into Canada often.

One good resource is the Waggoner Cruising Guide [you can download the 2015 version for free...] Starting on page 18 they provide a thorough overview of entering both countries, with links to governmental websites.

As mentioned by others, NEXUS is helpful but only works if everyone on board has a valid NEXUS card. [Often guests do not...] You can get that in Canada, and if you schedule your 'interview' at a designated Canadian airport, you can get a retina scan so your NEXUS is also valid for air travel within Canada [for those of us who are not Canadian's anyway...]

I hope this is helpful. Have fun with your journey.

Perhaps we will see you in Glacier Bay and/or other locations this year...

Cheers!

Tags
alaska, Canada