Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2012, 16:59   #1
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5
Can I Import a 2 Stroke Motor to CA from Australia ?

I can not find the Tohatsu 9.8 two stroke motor that I want in USA. They are not legal to buy new. Can I bring one with me from Australia in my luggage? They only weigh 26kg (58lbs) which is why I want one.

Will it matter if the engine is used or new? Could there be probs with the airline when trying to bring a motor in?
dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 17:04   #2

Re: Can I import a 2 stroke motor to CA from Australia?

I think you'd actually be OK when you get to CA. AFAIK there's no registration or restriction on motors. ****EXCEPT**** you can not run it on Lake Tahoe.

I highly doubt that an airline will let you bring a used motor full of gas though. New in a box, maybe.
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 17:10   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

If you get it in, it can be used in the saltwater, but not in lakes.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rds-10998.html
Old 14-01-2012, 17:57   #4
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5

Thanks guys. If its ok to use them on salt water, why cant you buy 2 strokes in the USA anymore? Well it seems you can't get small ones anyhow.
dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 18:04   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisail View Post
Thanks guys. If its ok to use them on salt water, why cant you buy 2 strokes in the USA anymore?
The Japanese/Asian ones are rare. They're mostly 4 stroke now. The imports didn't start coming in until later. Most here were American made. Now even the American made brands are made overseas.
Old 14-01-2012, 18:04   #6

Quote:
Thanks guys. If its ok to use them on salt water, why cant you buy 2 strokes in the USA anymore?
You can't buy good Bottom Paint, a frikken BBQ or lawnmower in Los Angeles.
Old 14-01-2012, 18:09   #7

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

2 strokes pollute like crazy. Can't have a 2 stroke motorcycle, snowmobile etc. either. "A single two-stroke engine produces pollution equivalent to that of 30 to 50 four-stroke automobiles." See the rest of this from Discover Magazine.http://discovermagazine.com/2008/may...-and-youre-out
It's the right move. 2 strokes are so 20th century. LOL
Old 14-01-2012, 18:12   #8

Quote:
Just to add, the 2 strokes now are the larger ones and they are fuel injected and electronic so to have adjustable timing and reduce raw fuel emissions.

4-Stroke Outboard Motor vs 2-Stroke Outboards

Tohatsu Outboards: TLDI Outboard Motor
Old 14-01-2012, 18:34   #9

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Thanks guys. If its ok to use them on salt water, why cant you buy 2 strokes in the USA anymore? Well it seems you can't get small ones anyhow.
Weeeell, about 15 years ago, environmentalist Carol Browner who headed Clinton's EPA... and is now Obama's climate czar ruled by fiat that 2 cycle engines were a no-no. She even wanted to require gasoline powered lawnmowers to have catalytic converters.

Hard to keep a good environmentalist down!

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 18:38   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
You can't buy good Bottom Paint, a frikken BBQ or lawnmower in Los Angeles.

RIGHT ON! But you overlook just how good all these regulations are protecting everybody and of course, they fund enforcers!

Foggy
Old 14-01-2012, 19:03   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
RIGHT ON! But you overlook just how good all these regulations are protecting everybody and of course, they fund enforcers!

Foggy
I think you misunderstand me...

LA has a emissions problem. Just spend a day in Phoenix and you'll understand. I think they go after the easy targets rather than doing the right thing. I personally don't want to pay it, just like everyone else. But I think if Gas was $10 a gallon we'd get real mass transit right quick-like.

I ride a motorcycle, and I have a sailboat. Spending more and more on cheap gas is just stupid. We ought to be investing in infrastructure now, while we can still afford gas. Because it will be $10 a gallon eventually anyway.
Old 14-01-2012, 19:29   #12

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Here is a link to the history of the 2-stroke versus 4-stroke marine outboads. It is lengthy but gives the history of the battle that ended the legal selling of 2-stroke engines in the USA.
Boats and Boating - The 2-Stroke Marine Engine Controversy

Whether the OP can legally import a new 2-stroke engine or even used via a method other than his own vessel is a good one. It would be a good idea for you to consult the US Customs service find out prior to attempting to import it via air - as that may not be included in the exemption that allows us with old 2-cycle outboards to use them. Technicalities, but you could end up in LAX airport with the engine being confiscated if you don't have clear paperwork allowing the engine to be imported.

If your boat is in the USA it seems easier to sail down to Mexico (or even drive there and back) and buy a 2-stoke down there. On the east coast we go to the Bahamas or any other non-USA island to buy them.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 11:15   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
I think you misunderstand me...

LA has a emissions problem. Just spend a day in Phoenix and you'll understand. I think they go after the easy targets rather than doing the right thing. I personally don't want to pay it, just like everyone else. But I think if Gas was $10 a gallon we'd get real mass transit right quick-like.

I ride a motorcycle, and I have a sailboat. Spending more and more on cheap gas is just stupid. We ought to be investing in infrastructure now, while we can still afford gas. Because it will be $10 a gallon eventually anyway.

What I understand is that here in Massachusetts, every environmental outreach PASSED INTO LAW by lobbying from the Pergs, Sierra, Greenies and other radicals in California, is quickly passed into law here.

I can live without environmental police who carry a badge and a gun wearing jack boots telling property owners what they can or cannot do with their property. When a good thing gets carried too far, it ceases to be a good thing.

This country is grossly over regulated. I cringed the other night watching the Gold miners TV show in Alaska being shut down because they lacked "government safety certification" which was just plain BS. AND BEING FINED ON TOP OF THAT!!! But there is no stopping it with today's administration. Consider the Keystone pipeline! Or consider our wonderful president advising Brazil to drill more wells so our country can purchase from them. At the same time regulations prevent drilling here in our own country. Regulations are out of control and getting worse!

Foggy
Old 15-01-2012, 11:36   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
What I understand is that here in Massachusetts, every environmental outreach PASSED INTO LAW by lobbying from the Pergs, Sierra, Greenies and other radicals in California, is quickly passed into law here.

I can live without environmental police who carry a badge and a gun wearing jack boots telling property owners what they can or cannot do with their property. When a good thing gets carried too far, it ceases to be a good thing.

This country is grossly over regulated. I cringed the other night watching the Gold miners TV show in Alaska being shut down because they lacked "government safety certification" which was just plain BS. AND BEING FINED ON TOP OF THAT!!! But there is no stopping it with today's administration. Consider the Keystone pipeline! Or consider our wonderful president advising Brazil to drill more wells so our country can purchase from them. At the same time regulations prevent drilling here in our own country. Regulations are out of control and getting worse!

Foggy
I was talking to one of the maintenance guys at my (dry-on the hard) marina yesterday and he had just replaced about 100 overhead lights (to save energy) at a cost of over $60K not counting labor.
Shortly after the city govern't came by asking for the permit to do so.
Huh!

So, they made them purchase a late permit at a cost of $5K. Talk about Piracy!

Not only that but the land around the marina that has not been developed yet (100 acres) is locked up by the EPA now (50% swamp). If it would have been developed 30 years ago it would all be useable now. There are miles and mile of swamp along the river. This little area is like spit in a bucket, compared.
Old 15-01-2012, 11:38   #15

Quote:
Try this : Look at the surface of the water. Start up your 2-stroke. Look at the surface of the water again. Does this answer your question?

It's going to entirely depend on luck whether the o/b gets through customs I think, on the mood of the guys on the day.

I think in the future you're going to see more restrictions on 2-strokes here, so this might be a good time to sell yours in Aus and buy a new 4 stroke when you get here.

I for one wholeheartidly support more controls on small 2 strokes in lawnmowers etc. They are horribly polluting. The stink in my neighborhood when they're all going is nasty.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2 stroke, Australia, import, motor