Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2012, 08:06   #76

Boat: Aries 32
Re: Can I Import a 2 Stroke Motor to CA from Australia ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Wow, The guy (OP) only asked about getting a new outboard onboard an airliner into California. I still think it would be easier to have it shipped to Arizona, New Mexico, or even Mexico (or buying a motor in Mexico) than dealing with the paperwork and hassles of bringing it into L.A. Drive down and get it and skip the hassles.
What hassles? There's nothing illegal or even shady about this - California regulates what new engines you can SELL in the state, as posted a couple times above. OP's asking about strangely-shaped luggage as far as anyone's concerned. Just walk in and toss it on the luggage conveyor. And don't forget mine.

Dustymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 14:13   #77
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"What hassles? There's nothing illegal or even shady about this "
So Dusty, you are absolutely certain, willing to stake money on it, that even though the manufacture and sales of that type of engine is illegal in the US, that the import of them wasn't banned at the same time by the same legislation?
Because if you're wrong about that, he's going to have a good chance of having theengine confiscated and destroyed by USCustoms when it arrives in California at a US Customs entry checkpoint.

Oh, gee, yeah, that hassle.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 14:25   #78

Boat: Aries 32

No, I'm not willing to act as OP's lawyer. If he wanted one of those he would have found and paid for one rather than posting on the internet. I'm just stating my experiences and what I'd be willing to do, like everyone else on here.

I bet you're a lot of fun at parties.
Dustymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 14:33   #79
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

You're right, I'm the one that tricks the drunks into staying on the couch, or taking a cab home instead of totalling out their cars.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 14:36   #80

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Wow - what a twist and hot spots this opened.

My 2 cents. The planet has been warming and the ice melting for 10,000 years. We have only had anything to say about it for less than 150 years - if you believe the probably cooked data. Prior to that, there was 6 miles of ice where I live. I'm not sure I agree that those were the good ole' days. I DO believe that there are other and probably better ways to heat, cool, make things go than the consumption of massive fossil fuel and that petrolium is WAY more valuable as a feed stock for the things we need in our lives. First use as fuel only is not the best coarse in a lot of cases. Logic and stewardship says we can do better with resources.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 19:19   #81

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

It is and has been legal to bring in your own "used" 2-cycle outboard and use it in waters where that type engine is not banned. As posted by another "Selling" it would be questionable since legitimate dealers cannot do that. (This is assuming the 2-cycle engine does not meet the USA or California emissions standards.)

So the big question is - rather than bring it into California attached to your dinghy hanging from your stern davits (or mounted on an aft railing) - can you bring it in by air freight. And additionally does it make a difference whether the engine is "new" - (that has never been run) rather than "used" - (you ran the engine in Australia for a period of time to break it in). An used outboard can be purged/cleaned of any volatiles (gasoline) before presenting it for shipment.

I would hazard that you would need to finalize the purchase in Australia so you have physical possession and ownership of the engine - rather than having an Australian dealer do a remote sale with you in California and the engine/dealer in Australia. That would constitute selling/buying the engine in California in my opinion.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2012, 03:23   #82
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
....Very fewer folks on either side seem willing to simply do the objective research to understand what is happening, it is apparently much more important to argue about blame.
There has been sufficient thread drift to allow for a bit more...
It has always been far easier (and more interesting) to fix blame rather than fix the problem.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2012, 06:17   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
There has been sufficient thread drift to allow for a bit more...
It has always been far easier (and more interesting) to fix blame rather than fix the problem.
Or when there is significant money to be made in the process. . . Or money to be made in getting your agenda adopted . . .
Old 21-01-2012, 10:09   #84
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausaviator View Post
Nowadays you can lay a small 4 stroke on its' side, you just have to lie it on the correct side.
yea but will it run on its side?A two stroke will run upside down and sideways ... in case you ever find yourself needing a motor when your upside down,happens all the time you know...DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2012, 18:33   #85
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5

Hmm. Now its a climate change debate. Sheesh. I think I will just not bother to import a motor. I have seen some 8hp for sale. That should so I hope. By reading those links it appears the engine must be older that 2001 otherwise it has to comply with the new laws.
dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2012, 19:01   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisail View Post
. . . By reading those links it appears the engine must be older that 2001 otherwise it has to comply with the new laws.
Only if you want to buy a NEW outboard motor. There is still plenty of used 2-cycles around and they work just fine. Especially if somebody has one and then moves to a lake area were it cannot be used. So you can get a good used motor for a good price.
Old 22-01-2012, 09:47   #87

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Only if you want to buy a NEW outboard motor. There is still plenty of used 2-cycles around and they work just fine. Especially if somebody has one and then moves to a lake area were it cannot be used. So you can get a good used motor for a good price.
+1 The bottom line!
Old 22-01-2012, 14:46   #88

Boat: Seawind 1000 - now sold

So, if I mention that soon we will not be able to buy a new 2 stroke here in Aus either, will that start the rants again? Anyone in Australia real keen on a 2 stroke anything is best advised to go and buy now, the ban is coming sooner than many think. Only exemptions are Chain Saws and Tree Shakers (no idea why), everything else will not be available and that includes garden blowers, hedge trimmers, line trimmers ect. The legislation is a complete ban on importing (not sale), and I believe it is already in place for 2nd hand items (try and bring in that bargain Bayliner Trophy with a pair of 2 stroke what evers on the transom and you will get a nasty shock)
harlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 15:20   #89
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlie View Post
So, if I mention that soon we will not be able to buy a new 2 stroke here in Aus either, will that start the rants again? Anyone in Australia real keen on a 2 stroke anything is best advised to go and buy now, the ban is coming sooner than many think. Only exemptions are Chain Saws and Tree Shakers (no idea why), everything else will not be available and that includes garden blowers, hedge trimmers, line trimmers ect. The legislation is a complete ban on importing (not sale), and I believe it is already in place for 2nd hand items (try and bring in that bargain Bayliner Trophy with a pair of 2 stroke what evers on the transom and you will get a nasty shock)
Do you any reference for this proposed ban or is just "wishful thinking" or "inside knowledge" or ......
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2 stroke, Australia, import, motor