Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2012, 16:19   #61
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF

I did not say they have been justifiably banned. I said that they have not been unjustifiably banned.
Ah, you're playing game of words. Sorry, I can't do that, I am incompatibel with that

p.s. you should check up on Boolean algebra. That is just something from my world that explains double negative becomes positive etc.

ciao!
Nick.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 16:21   #62
Marine Service Provider

Re: Can I Import a 2 Stroke Motor to CA from Australia ?

Close enough, you got the point. What's .1 between forum friends :-)

That 9.9 sure would be a heavy clunker if it's based on the 15 if it were on a small tender as you say.

When I was browsing, the 4-stroke's were up to and over double the price, so it simply wasn't worth it for my requirement. I don't use this motor very often but I always flush it, so it should last forever and a day. They also have a 5 year warranty if serviced in accordance with the manual.

PS used to own a Binks 25 for over 15 years.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 17:30   #63
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5

Nice boat the binks. My choice would be a 4 stroke for that since it will be quiet and use less fuel. It has an ex hire tohatsu 8 with countless hours and no compression but it still runs ($300 motor). My mate who now owns the boat is looking at a 10ish 4 stroke. An extra 10kg will not matter much as the motor just stays on the transom bracket and does not need to be manhandled to and from a tender to a yacht, or carried up a beach.

The 9.9 2 stroke Tohatsu is 41kg. Which is around the same weight for all the other manufactures 9.9ish 2 strokes like my dads merc 9.9. If you want a 9.9 this is what the rest weigh besides the Tohastu 9.8.

And guess what all the 9.9ish 4 strokes weigh? Around 40kg! The same as most 9.9 two strokes as the are all de tuned 15s. It really pays to do your research here when buying. In reality a 15hp 2 stroke can weigh the same as a 10hp 4 stroke, but if they sell you a de tuned 15 you are not saving any weight.
dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 17:49   #64

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Suggest you read this:

Frequently Asked Questions About ARB's New Clean Vessel Regs

http://www.dbw.ca.gov/Environmental/...ke/TSList.aspx
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 17:55   #65
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Exactly. Confirms 2-stroke is NOT banned regardless of how many keep repeating that here. Thanks for finding that Mark

ciao!
Nick.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 18:11   #66

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Can I import a 2 stroke motor to CA from Australia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
Weeeell, about 15 years ago, environmentalist Carol Browner who headed Clinton's EPA... and is now Obama's climate czar ruled by fiat that 2 cycle engines were a no-no. She even wanted to require gasoline powered lawnmowers to have catalytic converters.

Hard to keep a good environmentalist down!

Foggy

Isn't this the same Dodos that will tell us what type of light bulb, toilet, battery, shower head, crappy ethonol fuel - - - - - - we will be required to buy?

Try Vans in Grand Rapids. By spring they may have as many as 500 used outboards reconditioned. Also pretty sure we can buy new 2-strokes in Michigan. I thought Mercury was working at California ratings on their new high tech 2-strokes. Is this just the really big ones?
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 18:29   #67

Boat: mt34dt

Two stokes rule....lighter, hole-shot, can be laid on its side, and is very simple to work on--worldwide. The amount of pollution small two strokes produce is minute in the scheme of things--check out a Panamanian freighter sometime, or maybe even that old diesel in your boat!
zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 19:53   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeta View Post
Two stokes rule....lighter, hole-shot, can be laid on its side, and is very simple to work on--worldwide. The amount of pollution small two strokes produce is minute in the scheme of things--check out a Panamanian freighter sometime, or maybe even that old diesel in your boat!
Here is an article on the contribution to total HC pollution in the US JUST from pre-97 garden equipment. It's about 5%. The effect of making cars run cleaner and cleaner is to put up % the contribution from other sources.

Lawn Equipment - Additional Information | Improving Air Quality in Your Community | US EPA

I have read that on a winter day in the SF bay area, a third of air pollution comes from small engines! Another third blows over from China, interestingly.

If you've ever been in a traffic jam in India, surrounded by 10,000 putting and wheezing 3 wheelers, you wouldn't call their pollution minute.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 21:59   #69

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
Here is an article on the contribution to total HC pollution in the US JUST from pre-97 garden equipment. It's about 5%. The effect of making cars run cleaner and cleaner is to put up % the contribution from other sources.

Lawn Equipment - Additional Information | Improving Air Quality in Your Community | US EPA

I have read that on a winter day in the SF bay area, a third of air pollution comes from small engines! Another third blows over from China, interestingly.

If you've ever been in a traffic jam in India, surrounded by 10,000 putting and wheezing 3 wheelers, you wouldn't call their pollution minute.
Every time I go to Manila PI, I get a sinus infection if I stay there more then a couple days at a time, especially in the winter months.

I really don't like the EPA, but I have to admit, more then half of what they do is good. It would be nice if they did have more public control. Some things they go overboard on, like with climategate and creating false info to create more emissions standards, which is self serving, creating a need for more EPA.

Yet there is still no proof that man is causing climate change, as I sit here with 18" of accumulated snow piled up around the house and tomorrow it will rain & then there will be the start of some flooding. 50 years of watching this PNW weather and it still seems the same to me.
Old 19-01-2012, 21:59   #70
Marine Service Provider

Nowadays you can lay a small 4 stroke on its' side, you just have to lie it on the correct side.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 22:08   #71

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Yet there is still no proof that man is causing climate change, as I sit here with 18" of accumulated snow piled up around the house and tomorrow it will rain & then there will be the start of some flooding. 50 years of watching this PNW weather and it still seems the same to me.
I second that.

Local group are running around photographing the king tides later this week. They claim is that will be situation in future with water levels rising.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 22:19   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Repeating this over and over does not make it true. There is proof that man is causing climate change. Many just choose not to see it.

HOWEVER... If it were the case that man can not do anything to stop eventual warming, then in fact we should be even more dramatically cutting emissions to stop contributing to the overall effect, and we should be trying to slow or delay it as much as possible.
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 22:30   #73

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
Repeating this over and over does not make it true. There is proof that man is causing climate change. Many just choose not to see it.

HOWEVER... If it were the case that man can not do anything to stop eventual warming, then in fact we should be even more dramatically cutting emissions to stop contributing to the overall effect, and we should be trying to slow or delay it as much as possible.
My response > The inconvenient truth about the Ice core Carbon Dioxide Temperature Correlations | ScienceBits
Old 20-01-2012, 07:07   #74

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
. . . There is proof that man is causing climate change. . . .
Wow, The guy (OP) only asked about getting a new outboard onboard an airliner into California. I still think it would be easier to have it shipped to Arizona, New Mexico, or even Mexico (or buying a motor in Mexico) than dealing with the paperwork and hassles of bringing it into L.A. Drive down and get it and skip the hassles.

As to the quoted segment above - the old " Mass Plankton Die-Off" thread that went on and on. Curiously, the term human caused "Global Warming" had to be changed to "Climate Change" as the last few years the warming/cooling data have not cooperated with the "warming" agenda. But that whole argument about whether humans can significantly affect a global pattern that has been going in cycles for billions of years, is humorous.

Enough said - does anybody really know if the airlines and officials at LAX will let the OP bring in a clean, fluid-less outboard motor? I don't think getting it onboard as carry-on will work. . .
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 07:55   #75
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Yet there is still no proof that man is causing climate change,"
Too many folks waste too much time on that question. It really doesn't matter who or what is causing climate change, unless of course it is aliens trying to cook us.

The point remains that the earth is not a static system, the climate does swing through wide temperature cycles, and if we are not aware of those cycles, do not understand them, and are not prepared to endure them or change them, if can very well exterminate us. Or in the least, make life vey uncomfortable for most of us. Like the "year without summer" that generated massive crop failures in Europe and England during the 13(?)oo's. Brought down kingdoms, forced settlements to retreat.

Very fewer folks on either side seem willing to simply do the objective research to understand what is happening, it is apparently much more important to argue about blame.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2 stroke, Australia, import, motor