Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2012, 12:12   #16

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders
Re: Can I import a 2 stroke motor to CA from Australia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
I was talking to one of the maintenance guys at my (dry-on the hard) marina yesterday and he had just replaced about 100 overhead lights (to save energy) at a cost of over $60K not counting labor.
Shortly after the city govern't came by asking for the permit to do so.
Huh!

So, they made them purchase a late permit at a cost of $5K. Talk about Piracy!

Not only that but the land around the marina that has not been developed yet (100 acres) is locked up by the EPA now (50% swamp). If it would have been developed 30 years ago it would all be useable now. There are miles and mile of swamp along the river. This little area is like spit in a bucket, compared.

And there are thousands just like the business you just described!! I fear, no make that STRONGLY fear we will see another 4 years of the current administration. God bless us! Whoops----forgot for a minute, cannot use God any more.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 12:39   #17

Boat: Aries 32

Not to interrupt the rants and raves and outright ********, but...

1) It is illegal to SELL a NEW engine which can't meet emissions criteria in CA. The law says nothing about used engines or about BUYing new engines.

2) I've carried an outboard as checked baggage a couple times. AK Air didn't bat an eye, and I suspect AU carriers won't either.

3) Bring two of them back. I'll buy one from you.
Dustymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 12:50   #18

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Need a boat to go with?

lund

13 gheenoe

Or

1999 Tohatsu 9.8 hp electric start long shaft

9.8hp 2-stroke Tohatsu outboard boat tiller motor

Outboard motor for sale
Old 15-01-2012, 13:32   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

I routinely carry two stroke Solo 15 hp engines on the Airlines..Internatinal as well as domestic and I never tell them what is inside a package other than sporting equitment(unless they ask )...If oversize, it is priced as a windsurfer as that is the largest thing I saw on an oversize baggage price sheet...You will be asked about gas and oil and if it is new and you have no type of sparkplug in it you will probably be ok...If the tank has had gas in it they have a device that can detect the fumes and if the machine alerts to your package it is not allowed.....If it "looks" oily and dirty I have seen them turn away a package...I have seen engines taken apart and brought in as parts...DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 22:11   #20
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5

Thanks. I sent them emails. But I am sure they will be reluctant to ship. Also how do I get protection would I have when buying private like this sight unseen?
dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 22:12   #21
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
I routinely carry two stroke Solo 15 hp engines on the Airlines..Internatinal as well as domestic and I never tell them what is inside a package other than sporting equitment(unless they ask )...If oversize, it is priced as a windsurfer as that is the largest thing I saw on an oversize baggage price sheet...You will be asked about gas and oil and if it is new and you have no type of sparkplug in it you will probably be ok...If the tank has had gas in it they have a device that can detect the fumes and if the machine alerts to your package it is not allowed.....If it "looks" oily and dirty I have seen them turn away a package...I have seen engines taken apart and brought in as parts...DVC
My airline (virgin) has flat out banned any engines used or new
Old 16-01-2012, 22:13   #22
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
Try this : Look at the surface of the water. Start up your 2-stroke. Look at the surface of the water again. Does this answer your question?

It's going to entirely depend on luck whether the o/b gets through customs I think, on the mood of the guys on the day.

I think in the future you're going to see more restrictions on 2-strokes here, so this might be a good time to sell yours in Aus and buy a new 4 stroke when you get here.

I for one wholeheartidly support more controls on small 2 strokes in lawnmowers etc. They are horribly polluting. The stink in my neighborhood when they're all going is nasty.
2 strokes are banned from most fresh water lakes in AU too but we can still buy them for use on the ocean where the small amount of pollution they put out is largely irrelevant for a small yacht tender.

I have not purchased my motor yet but for this application a 2 stroke is far better than a 4 stroke. I don't know why anyone would want a 85lbs 9.8hp when you can get one that weighs 58lbs and has better performance. 4 strokes are crap for portable motors due to weight. If this was for say an aux for a sailboat I would get a 4 stroke for sure.
Old 16-01-2012, 22:59   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisail View Post
2 strokes are banned from most fresh water lakes in AU too but we can still buy them for use on the ocean where the small amount of pollution they put out is largely irrelevant for a small yacht tender.

I have not purchased my motor yet but for this application a 2 stroke is far better than a 4 stroke. I don't know why anyone would want a 85lbs 9.8hp when you can get one that weighs 58lbs and has better performance. 4 strokes are crap for portable motors due to weight. If this was for say an aux for a sailboat I would get a 4 stroke for sure.
Yes I appreciate the weight problem. What I don't understand is why the manufacturers don't do something about it. Can't they make a 9.8 for less than 85 lbs? Probably they could, but for more cost. It's a very cost sensitive market. EFI, lighter alloys, VVT, all the ways I can think off to get more hp per cc are expensive.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 23:26   #24
cruiser

Re: Can I Import a 2 Stroke Motor to CA from Australia ?

You answered your own question as to why manufacturers don't do something about it, and that is the cost. 2 stroke still has it all over the 4 stroke in small motors when comaring cost and weight. Where weight is less of an issue I would get a 4 stroke if price is reasonable.

If I could get a 58lbs 4 stroke 9.8 motor for $6000 with EFI and VVTi I think I would still get the $1500 2 stroke of the same weight. I am sure the savings spent elsewhere would give an overall benefit to the environment when spent on an item that gets used more than a tender motor.

My mower is 4 stroke, but my blower and lawn trimmer are 2 stroke. 2 strokes still have their place IMO. 2 stroke mowers do seem to have the edge in cutting thick grass though.
Old 17-01-2012, 00:44   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

If you are leaving from Marina Del Rey you can walk to West Marine and buy a Mercury 9.9hp 4-Stroke Outboard, 86lb., [20" Shaft Length, F-N-R, 2.08:1 Gearing, External 3.2 Gallon Tank] for $US2,219.

It will work perfectly, and very likely will still be working perfectly after you get to Oz.

I'd ask if they will fit it to your tender and test it.

Might be wise to order it in advance as I don't remember them being on the floor.

It weighs about 12 kg more than an equivalent 2 stroke. You would not be able to carry either too far.

Compared with the damage to your health in carrying a 58 kg lump of metal through a very suspicious security, two airports and a two hour queue in LA, the stress and the risk involved in bringing in your own (which may not work at all after the tender treatment from Aussie baggage handlers) why not?
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 01:30   #26

Boat: Privilege 37

Old 2 strokes at 25:1 mix were very smelly and polluting.

A modern 2 stroke at 100:1 is a different sized problem and should be compared in a risk assessment against the weight of the 4 stroke equivalent when you have to put the engine onto your tender.

Personally the risk of back injury outweighs the concerns.
Old 17-01-2012, 01:34   #27
cruiser

Quote:
58 kg lump of metal
Its only 26kg and carrying it will be no problem. Which is why I want it. I am trying to find something in the USA. Bringing my own really does seem like a PITA. I might settle on a 8hp.

I can get a Tohatsu 9.8 4 stroke new for just over $1700 its a few pounds lighter than the merc but its mainly the price which I like.
Old 18-01-2012, 22:30   #28
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisail View Post
My airline (virgin) has flat out banned any engines used or new
Its been a long time sinse I have knowen anything about Virgins...LOl..DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 05:33   #29
Sponsoring Vendor

Boat: Wharram Tiki 30 Abaco

I lived in Los Angeles in the 60-70s. I remember the whining and crying and these same conversations about the stupid government getting into our lives. I also remember in the midlate 60s not being able to take a deep breath because the air hurt. There are now many more people living in LA and the air quality has improved over the years. So on one hand we have people that don't want to change a thing at any cost and then there are people who say wow what a nice place we liveand maybe it might be worth some inconvenience and money to preserve it and keep it clean. Thanks be to the gods that there are folks like the Sieera club and Oceans watch . Without some kind of hinderance those that care solely about money and convenience would pillage the planet. "Good Planets Are Hard To Find".

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
boatsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 05:43   #30
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Y'all probably will tumble over me again here but today 2-strokes are actually cleaner than 4-strokes and are allowed to be sold and used everywhere in the USA.

Now, in an attempt to stop the rush to the keyboards, let me quote from Wikipedia (because it is on-line again hurray!):

Quote:
Evinrude E-TEC was the first outboard engine technology to win the American Environmental Protection Agency 2004 Clean Air Excellence Award, which recognizes low emission levels. It is also recognized as acceptable for use by the European Union. When compared to a similar 2004 four-stroke engine, carbon monoxide emissions with Evinrude E-TEC are typically 30 to 50 percent lower; and at idle are lower by a factor of 50 to 100 times. In addition, Evinrude E-TEC emits 30 to 40 percent less total particulate matter on a weight basis than a similar “ultra-low emissions” four-stroke outboard. Furthermore, oxides of nitrogen and hydrocarbon emissions for Evinrude E-TEC are similar to, if not lower than, a four-stroke outboard. There are no oil changes with this engine, as well as no belts, and no valve or throttle linkage adjustments. This makes Evinrude E-TEC engines easier to own than comparable four-stroke engines.
Keep up with technology innovation guys

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
2 stroke, Australia, import, motor