Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 19:06   #76

Boat: Wharram Tiki 31 Slipper
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevC View Post
Just build a little co2 cannon that feeds on the holding tank contents. That'll keep boarding parties at a safe distance.

nooooice...bahahahaha

Old 07-12-2009, 19:12   #77

I'm sure a few warning shots across the bow would be quite effective. If that doesn't work, send them straight to Browntown.

I tried to convince Lavac to build one, but they didn't think there was a market...

Old 07-12-2009, 23:37   #78

Boat: Newport 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevC View Post
Just build a little co2 cannon that feeds on the holding tank contents. That'll keep boarding parties at a safe distance.
Trev, the thing is that patrol boats have big holding tanks too.....or are you trying to tell us that you are even more full of s#!t than the authorities??
Old 08-12-2009, 16:19   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
-. I should clarify that my only personal boarding experiences were US Customs in FL and Jamaican CG off Mobay, but have plenty of friends with first hand experience and descriptions of USCG boarding (almost always polite and professional but not to be denied).

I also had a positive impression of the CG when I was boarded here on the Cheaspeake some 10 years ago. However a friend who had the helm at night off the eastern seaboard particapating in a race(from Annapolis to Newport?) was approached by an inflatable boat with CG markings out of nowhere. He refused their boarding ..not once but twice(they had to go back and get ID badges) and finally got them to have the mother ship turn on it's lights in order to prove they were indeed CG. With all the back and forth communication from the inflatable to the mother ship and his refusal for the boarding, I thought the CG would give a very harsh inspection, but instead they decided to just forgo any boarding after he finally gave his permission to board.
Old 25-12-2009, 19:26   #80

Boat: Trimaran Oceanbird 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
So is anybody going to post a link of unlawful boardings happening?
This fresh story is raising my eyebrow.
The details are still unclear: according to various reports the ship when boarded was 320 km offshore Spanish coast or 200 miles or in high seas. Also the flag she carried is uncertain: some say "no pavilion" other "undisclosed pavilion". And the brave Canadian Registry still has the boat as under their flag.
If the ship was outside Spanish EEZ, the was the boarding legal?
Old 25-12-2009, 20:33   #81
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

"If the ship was outside Spanish EEZ, the was the boarding legal?"
The question is absurd. The article presents insufficient information to make any conclusions about legality. For instance, if the vessel was not FLYING a Canadian ensign, it was literally not under the protection of one. If the Spanish and Canadians have a treaty or joint enforcement agreement, or any of a number of joint operations or agreements were in place, the boarding might have been perfectly proper.
But with a bit of fluff that omits all relevant detail, and no knowledge of the legal relations and obligations between the two flags, any question as to whether the boarding was legal or proper, is a waste of time and effort.
If the boarding was improper, the odds are the criminals will walk, which would make one think that all the propriety is there--but conveniently omitted from the nooze story so as not to confuse the dear readers.

And, incidentally, "secret compartments" in a US-flagged vessel that were not originally part of a vessel's blueprinted design? And not ofrmally reported to the USCG? Have long been classed by our own USCG as probable evidence of smuggling. If they find you've built in a double compartment someplace--they may strip it down to the bare hull. That policy was publicly stated back in the zero tolerance days, about four or five commandants ago.
Old 26-12-2009, 10:53   #82

Boarding in EEZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
...The question is absurd. ...
Maybe not absurd, but just not sufficiently backed by precise data to make a sound judgment. For someone crossing an ocean and just of nowhere being boarded for an impromptu search, this question is not absurd at all.
However, let me rephrase to a more generic issue: is it legal to be boarded in EEZ in search for illicit substances if the boat flies a foreign ensign?
I couldn't find any specific legal provision for this case in the Law of the Sea. I understood that within the contiguous zone
it is legal to be intercepted and boarded for search no matter the boat's flag but how about the EEZ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
... If they find you've built in a double compartment someplace--they may strip it down to the bare hull...
Imagine what are they doing to this ship right now in Arsenal Militar de Feyrol, I don't think they'll have any mercy in dismantling it.
Old 26-12-2009, 21:13   #83
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Boarding in EEZ

Not listed in UNCLOS - there's another convention that covers the illicit drug trade: Convention against the Illicit Traffic in Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances
Check article 17.
Old 27-12-2009, 05:00   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
Not listed in UNCLOS - there's another convention that covers the illicit drug trade: Convention against the Illicit Traffic in Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances
Check article 17.
Thanks a lot for this input, this somehow clarifies the issue of Destiny Empress.
However this Convention does not contradict UNCLOS: a treaty or an authorization from the flag state is mandatory prior to boarding!
Old 27-03-2010, 20:07   #85
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
The USCG has been known to exceed the "boarding procedures" because most people don't know what they are and just let them go. In my notebook that has the papers I would present if boarded, the opposing page has a laminated copy of the official USCG boarding procedures, to help remind them and let them know I know what their limits are. I have only been boarded once and it was by Customs Homeland security, they didn't even know that Port Townsend, WA (my home port), Friday Harbor, WA and Anacortes, WA were official ports of entry.
Old 27-03-2010, 20:39   #86
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Do you have link for those official boarding procedures?

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Old 27-03-2010, 21:03   #87

I've heard this trick which can work in some conditions. (Sorry multihulls) Let them board, your bow to weather. Then turn to take the seas on the beam. The captain that used this trick said the CG left after a minute on their knees. Wimps.
Old 27-03-2010, 21:05   #88
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Nice......

Endangering people just doing their job

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
I've heard this trick which can work in some conditions. (Sorry multihulls) Let them board, your bow to weather. Then turn to take the seas on the beam. The captain that used this trick said the CG left after a minute on their knees. Wimps.
Old 27-03-2010, 21:06   #89
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Here you go

http://www.auxpa.org/gen-info.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intentional Drifter View Post
Do you have link for those official boarding procedures?

ID
Old 27-03-2010, 21:27   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
Endangering people just doing their job
You are exactly right. Letting inexperienced seamen on your boat, for no good reason, with guns, is contrary to safety.

The contraband, by the metric ton, is over on yonder container ship...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: