Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2013, 16:04   #16

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold
Re: Can AIS Be Used To Track All Vessels So Equipped?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Well guys.. if your coming over to Europe.. check the rules or you'll be busted... its gonna be compulsory come 2015...
Then we can be like your guys at the US airports and say.. "We just love kicking you out.." as you arrive..
AS a recent (2012) ex -pat from the UK now living on the ICW in USA and still very active on UK boating forums, I have not heard anything of this. can you please give a link to any legislation proposed or otherwise, or any European discussions on this.
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 16:14   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
Just a bit of info: When your phone is on, whether you're using it or not it is in regular communications with the cellular network. This is how they know where to send the signals when someone *does* call you. I can't say whether or not this metadata is being archived by the phone company, or the NSA, but it's certainly a possibility.

As for AIS, I generally have my transmitter on. I appreciate it when a vessel is transmitting, and I assume some vessels appreciate when I do as well. That's how the system works. The "too many annoying small boats on the screen" problem will be solved. Funny how I don't hear that complaint about my radar reflector!
It may be that your radar reflector isn't very effective and and anyway radar targets on a screen are not the same as hundreds of AIS targets in a small area showing on a chart plotter screen, each one potentially generating alarms and collision warning data pop-ups?.
Old 22-12-2013, 16:22   #18

Boat: 1972 Aquarius 23'
Um mm oops :ducks: did not mean to spook anyone.
Wonderinlost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 16:27   #19
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Can AIS Be Used To Track All Vessels So Equipped?

I'm damned if I can find it now but MarkJ brought this up a few months back and I did not believe it.. so I did a search and found a directive that AIS would be compulsory for all recreational craft over 8 metres visiting EU waters.. took me aback when I read it.. I'll keep looking and post if I find it..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 16:28   #20

Boat: PSC Orion 27

I knew my tin foil hat was useful for more than a radar reflector!!
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 16:44   #21

I just started reading the book, Dirty Wars, by Jeremy Scahill and it sends shivers down my spine. I'm just now on page 15 of 615 and find it a difficult book to read. What makes it difficult is every page is most revealing about the covert ops of the US govt and the shadow govt. Tin hats and mental ramblings about conspiracies is hardly out of line.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 17:30   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

just as an FYI . . .boaters should be informed and aware . . . The USCG is in fact collecting and storing ("forever") all AIS tracks within about 20nm (and up to about 50nm for class A units) of the US coastline. And their intent with this system is almost entirely "law enforcement" focused (and not SAR). They have an active effort (contractors hired and working) underway to improve their ability to identify the owners (and their background information) of those tracked vessels.

It is what it is.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 17:46   #23

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38 cutter

It's a very slippery slope is what it is.
Krogensailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 18:20   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

So that we are all well informed . . . this is the law authorizing the tracking: http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/PLAW-10...107publ295.pdf
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 19:03   #25

Boat: 1974 Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krogensailor View Post
It's a very slippery slope is what it is.
yeah! Next thing you know they'll be confiscating our boats, and making everyone eat brussel sprouts. A very slippery slope indeed.
westsailwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 20:27   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
So that we are all well informed . . . this is the law authorizing the tracking: http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/PLAW-10...107publ295.pdf
Evans, I'm not doubting you, but can you point me to the appropriate section of this document? I did a search for AIS (nothing), "Automatic Identification" (found the basic AIS carriage requirements and implementation deadlines and not much more), and "tracking" (found some satellite-based tracking goals).

But from the start I've assumed that my AIS position reports are being logged. Certainly by the private ad-hoc AIS receiver networks, such as those used by marinetraffic.com, and directly or indirectly by gov't agencies. The total amount of data storage needed is quite trivial.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 20:37   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post

Tracking of vessels over 65ft in length doesn't mean most of US hereabouts cruising around in our smaller recreational vessels. That said they have allowed the terrorists to win by instilling fear and paranoia in all such that the headless chickens rush around hither and thither creating more and more restrictions to control the people under the guise of 'homeland security'. I think I will opt out of this thread now since as a registered law abiding 'legal alien' I do not wish to encourage investigation by the CIA or whoever has been monitoring this forum on a Sunday night!
Old 22-12-2013, 20:46   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin3 View Post
Tracking of vessels over 65ft in length doesn't mean most of US hereabouts cruising around in in recreational vessels.
The 65-ft and other "must carry AIS" criteria aren't so much the issue. Class-A AIS is definitely required for most large vessels. What I think Evans is saying is that even vessels that are voluntarily carrying Class-A or Class-B AIS are being tracked (yes, we knew that), and that the track data is being stored for use for other than marine safety purposes (I didn't know this, but it certainly doesn't surprise me).

I can see a benefit in Search and Rescue operations to have AIS history available. No doubt it could be useful in other law-enforcement tasks as well, and apparently this type of use is authorized somewhere in that document.
www.sailvalis.com
Old 22-12-2013, 20:57   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin3 View Post
I think I will opt out of this thread now since as a registered law abiding 'legal alien' I do not wish to encourage investigation by the CIA or whoever has been monitoring this forum on a Sunday night!
I think everyone is monitoring this forum. Many years ago some people used to sprinkle our email with trigger keywords such as "anthrax", "krytron" "ANFO" "espionage", "NSA", etc., on the premise that if enough people did this the intelligence agencies abilities to interpret all the intercepted email would be overwhelmed. I think we lost that battle years ago.

Of course I would never put those kind of keywords in any of my internet activities.
www.sailvalis.com
Old 22-12-2013, 21:54   #30
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Can AIS Be Used To Track All Vessels So Equipped?

Well I know Boatman61 is being monitored... just type it into Google and pages galore turn up..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais