Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2013, 12:48   #1

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38 cutter
Can AIS Be Used To Track All Vessels So Equipped?

Originally Posted by Wonderinlost
Could this be the vessel? The only thing I notice the last position was early December so this may not be it. That's even if there is ais on board.

- Sailing Vessel: current position and details | MMSI 338101917, Callsign WDF4504 | Registered in USA - AIS Marine Traffic

Are we being watched as we sail along? Am I to think that the , I suppose government, is keeping track of AIS info? If so that would be a good enough reason for me to pass on the technology. When I found out that all of the bridge tenders on the ICW record the name and hailing port of boats passing through I took to draping a towel over the transom. I know it sounds like paranoia, but it's really not. I just think we/they are way out of control with all of this infomation gathering. I maintain the right to the liberty and freedom of travel with having my 'papers in order", (German accent). Just the concerns of a somewhat repatriated hippy.
Krogensailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 13:23   #2

Re: Can AIS Be Used To Track All Vessels So Equipped?

freedom of travel with having my 'papers in,,,that's of course without
Old 22-12-2013, 13:32   #3

Boat: EndeavourCat 36

You can buy an AIS that allows you to turn off the transmit signal. That is what I will have on my boat, both for the privacy issue and to save power when I can.
Cuttyhunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 13:46   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethflkys View Post
You can buy an AIS that allows you to turn off the transmit signal. That is what I will have on my boat, both for the privacy issue and to save power when I can.
Privacy? Sure, if you are concerned that will work.

As for power, given the infrequent update rate and extremely short messages being transmitted, turning off the transmit signal will make no practical difference. The average power used by my Class-B transponder is about 3.6W (0.300 A @ 12V) with the transmitter off, and about 3.61W (0.301 A) with the transmitter on. I don't think the Class-A transponder will see much of a difference either.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 13:51   #5

Boat: C&C 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krogensailor View Post
Originally Posted by Wonderinlost
Could this be the vessel? The only thing I notice the last position was early December so this may not be it. That's even if there is ais on board.

- Sailing Vessel: current position and details | MMSI 338101917, Callsign WDF4504 | Registered in USA - AIS Marine Traffic

Are we being watched as we sail along? Am I to think that the , I suppose government, is keeping track of AIS info? If so that would be a good enough reason for me to pass on the technology. When I found out that all of the bridge tenders on the ICW record the name and hailing port of boats passing through I took to draping a towel over the transom. I know it sounds like paranoia, but it's really not. I just think we/they are way out of control with all of this infomation gathering. I maintain the right to the liberty and freedom of travel with having my 'papers in order", (German accent). Just the concerns of a somewhat repatriated hippy.
You better shut off your cell phone & computer wifi too.
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 13:57   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

If you are so concerned about them knowing where you are - what do you do about your phone? Its far worse. even the advertisers know where you are. I think the safety features of AIS with trasponder are great. I have one and it does have "stealth" mode. I consider it more important in pirate waters.

I read a posting by an Ausie who had been in most of the world. No AIS but as they approached the US west coast they called in on VHS. The MIB knew the boat, where it had come from, when they departed and greeted them with, "Oh yes, we've been watching you for weeks. Hope you had a pleasant trip and we may send someone to visit your yacht tomorrow. Please tie up at --3-options --- and call us on the dock phone when you arrive.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 14:06   #7

Boat: 1974 Westsail 32

Talk about paranoid. Do you really think the "government" gives a rat's *** about you and your little boat?
westsailwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 14:16   #8

Boat: Freedom 38

I worked on a project where I collected all the AIS signals from the US East Coast. The first thing I did was filter out everyone who wasn't required to carry AIS (e.g., the smaller boats, which were usually recreational sailboats). Unless you are part of a government agency or contractor for the government and you have a legitimate use of the data, few people see that stuff in real time. And then weeks later, who cares where you were? I guess I'm not overly concerned about all this metadata collecting going on, which is happening every time you open your computer and see ads that are coincidentally geared toward your interests....
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 14:24   #9

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsailwill View Post
Talk about paranoid. Do you really think the "government" gives a rat's *** about you and your little boat?
If your name is Mohammed, probably yes.

If I remember right, a couple of years back the Dept of Homeland Insecurity were proposing that ALL recreational boats should have a transmitting AIS installed? The concern was more about a potential Waterborne terrorist attack say on a navy target, rather than in tracking individuals. I believe commonense prevailed but I guess itcould always be resurrected. Not even sure if it was fact or just plain conspiratorial theory scaremongering that I heard anyways, probably I got it on the now defunct Passagemaker magazine forum or similar

We have recently installed an AIS transceiver (Garmin 600), but yet to use it in anger. This has the option to switch off the transmitter (Piracy mode) in the menu system and we will probably do this in 'dodgy' areas as well as very busy ones where hundreds of transmitting recreational stations could cause information overload confusion.
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 14:25   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Can AIS Be Used To Track All Vessels So Equipped?

Everyone shouts about what a boon to safety at sea it is.. then they turn it off.. kinda defeats the purpose.. No..??
Why F-ing bother in the first place... Duhhhh

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 14:33   #11

"I want to know where everyone else is, but don't want anyone to know where I am"

That's why.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 14:44   #12

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Everyone shouts about what a boon to safety at sea it is.. then they turn it off.. kinda defeats the purpose.. No..??
Why F-ing bother in the first place... Duhhhh
THe advantage is to be able to 'see' the vessels that you want to miss, or to miss you, as in commercial traffic, not to be displaying every little boat that you can see all around and can see with the mark one eyeball anyway. plus if sailing in waters known for 'boatjackings' by pirates or drug smugglers, why would you want to tell the m exactly where you are and everything about you, like your vessel details, destination and current course and speed?

AIS receive only is a useful additional aid to radar in my book. Transmitting your own data to all is useful for safety in busy shipping areas but don't rely on it being displayed on the bridge of every ship other than as a list of targets in range, only newer build ships I believe are required to display AIS targets on a plotter screen or radar screen.
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 14:53   #13

Thanks for the clarification and useful information, and well, what can be said of the inevitable dullards. I know and accept that we live in a time where intrusion into our private lives is inevitable, but that does not make it a good thing. I'm certainly not going to pay to facilitate the farce. I know, it's all about my safety, maybe. As for other tracking means, when I'm not talking on my phone it sits wherever I left it, I find it when it rings. Most phones are water damaged by falling into the toilet! We can't seem to go anywhere with out being out of touch. I get on the boat and the phone goes into a drawer. I frankly don't want to be available all of the time. Nor do I want to be looked in on at every intersection. As for AIS, I'm glad they have the stealth mode. I'm not counting on anyone to be looking out for me, my main interest is in knowing where they are.,(not THEM) (commercial shipping) Be a follower and trust the powers that be to have your best interest at heart if want to. Or read some history and practice constant vigilance, at sea and in life.
Old 22-12-2013, 15:32   #14
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Can AIS Be Used To Track All Vessels So Equipped?

Well guys.. if your coming over to Europe.. check the rules or you'll be busted... its gonna be compulsory come 2015...
Then we can be like your guys at the US airports and say.. "We just love kicking you out.." as you arrive..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 16:02   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krogensailor View Post
As for other tracking means, when I'm not talking on my phone it sits wherever I left it, I find it when it rings.
Just a bit of info: When your phone is on, whether you're using it or not it is in regular communications with the cellular network. This is how they know where to send the signals when someone *does* call you. I can't say whether or not this metadata is being archived by the phone company, or the NSA, but it's certainly a possibility.

As for AIS, I generally have my transmitter on. I appreciate it when a vessel is transmitting, and I assume some vessels appreciate when I do as well. That's how the system works. The "too many annoying small boats on the screen" problem will be solved. Funny how I don't hear that complaint about my radar reflector!
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais